Jetbeam        
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Yeah, and don’t watch movies about police work. They NEVER say “Anything you say...” during arrest.
    Are you sure? Miranda warnings are pretty common in the U.S.:

Every U.S. jurisdiction has its own regulations regarding what, precisely, must be said to a person arrested or placed in a custodial situation. The typical warning states:

• You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions.
    • Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law.
    • You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future.
    • If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish.
    • If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.
    • Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Flashaholic*

I always like in movies when the cop (Belushi) says "you've got the right to remain silent" right after he shoots the perp🤔

Flashaholic*

Yep, Hollywood movies are a joke.... Mostly(some are more realistic then others).

And, you are likely right Bykfixer, I would imagine they rock NVG and IR a lot now a days.

Post Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    Are you sure? Miranda warnings are pretty common in the U.S.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning
    Who writes Wikipedia? There is a Russian saying: You walk and see a fence with an inscription «ХУЙ» (eng: dick), you enter inside and see firewood...

And now what regards firewood (https://usconstitution.net/miranda.html):
    Note that one need not be Mirandized to be arrested. There is a difference between being arrested and being questioned. Also, basic questions, such as name, address, and Social Security number do not need to be covered by a Miranda warning. The police also need not Mirandize someone who is not a suspect in a crime.
    Last edited by vadimax; 01-05-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Flashaholic*

Everybody knows Wikipidia is written by the elite smart people

Has anyone heard when will SF offer edcl-1t in coyote?

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    While I am generally in the KISS camp when it comes to combat lights, I think it should be pointed out that the US Navy Seals apparently recently chose the HDS Rotary for their handheld light and it is far from simple. So, not all on duty soldiers use/chose single mode lights for all applications.
    That's really cool. However, it must be noted that Navy SEALs are not your average grunts. You have to be smart to succeed as a SEAL.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In the movie zero dark thirty they made out like landing a helicopter 50 yards away, then lighting off bombs to breech doors on the Osama compound with loud bangs and by the time they reached the third floor "surprise Osama".. like he hadn't heard any of that...

Seriously.
    It's plausible, honestly. Given what they found in his house, he was probably too busy...um...enjoying mature entertainment...to notice the commotion outside.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-06-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    That's really cool. However, it must be noted that Navy SEALs are not your average grunts. You have to be smart to succeed as a SEAL.
    Yep, they are the elite, no doubt. Not just anyone can become a seal, the failure rate is huge.

After this discussion about the EDCL-1T and the HDS Rotary, I took my Rotary out of the drawer and carried it again for a couple of days.

It works great, not as bright as the EDCL-1T but is useful at the low levels when preserving visual dark adaptation. However, it still rolls off the table or nightstand and drops tests itself onto the floor. The EDCL-1T and most other handheld lights don't seem to have this problem.

Did Henry give up on putting a clip on his lights after criticism of that mega-clip years ago? I will say that the Rotary has a great user interface. Like the SF lights, you can pick it up and figure out how to use it without resorting to coded clicks, pushes and double-clicks like some of the other HDS lights.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    After this discussion about the EDCL-1T and the HDS Rotary, I took my Rotary out of the drawer and carried it again for a couple of days.

It works great, not as bright as the EDCL-1T but is useful at the low levels when preserving visual dark adaptation. However, it still rolls off the table or nightstand and drops tests itself onto the floor. The EDCL-1T and most other handheld lights don't seem to have this problem.

Did Henry give up on putting a clip on his lights after criticism of that mega-clip years ago? I will say that the Rotary has a great user interface. Like the SF lights, you can pick it up and figure out how to use it without resorting to coded clicks, pushes and double-clicks like some of the other HDS lights.
    Nope, no good bezel down clip options for the rotary that I know of unfortunately. That is the main thing that has kept me away from buying an HDS. That and the fact they they still haven't lowered their international shipping fees even though its been brought to their attention many times. $75US is fricking robbery for a small package to Canada. I order from places considerably further away then HDS and my shipping fees are often less then a third of that, it's ridiculous.

Must fight urge... EDCL1-T in cart.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.

The issue of bezel-down carry for the HDS Rotary has been popping up a lot lately.

This was my solution. It doesn't interfere with normal operation of the rotary dial. I really wish HDS would offer it as a factory option, but there's a different thread for that complaint.

Flashaholic*

Did you tap it yourself? If so, that was ballsy, nice work👍.

On a seperate note, I just caved and ordered a EDCL1-T. I look forward to comparing it to the M2T-MV.

Navy SEALs aren’t restricted to any particular light. Not restricted to only one weapon system, either. One can choose what they’re comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    Navy SEALs aren’t restricted to any particular light. Not restricted to only one weapon system, either. One can choose what they’re comfortable with.
    I think you're correct. The SEALs are one of only a handful of elite units which have carte blanche when it comes to their personal gear.

Did you tap it yourself? If so, that was ballsy, nice work.

On a seperate note, I just caved and ordered a EDCL1-T. I look forward to comparing it to the M2T-MV.
    Yep, I drilled it with a Dremel and tapped it by hand. I was nervous drilling those holes freehand with drill bits that are thin enough to be flexible and wander around as they're drilling, but it came out well.

I bought a Tactician and immediately returned it. I was unimpressed. The EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T use the tailcap to select the brightness as well as turning the light on or off, which is far more convenient than having those two functions located at opposite ends of the battery tube. The Tactician should at least have a clicky switch if it's not going to have a 2-stage pressure switch. Also it's too long for what it is. If they ever offer a single-cell Tactician with a clicky switch, I might buy one of those, but the design of the Tactician's 2-mode selector head makes it incompatible with other Surefire battery tubes so I can't lego-together the light I really wanted. It does work with a McGizmo Clicky Pak, but you'd still need the 2-cell Clicky Pak to power the Tactician head properly, so it's still a no-go.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-09-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Flashaholic*

Yep, I drilled it with a Dremel and tapped it by hand. I was nervous drilling those holes freehand with drill bits that are thin enough to be flexible and wander around as they're drilling, but it came out well.
    Nice job sir

Nice job sir
    Thanks. Hogo said I should offer it as a mod service, but I'd need a drill press, some better drill bits, and a babysitter to watch my kid, and I don't think I could sell enough clip mods to pay for all that stuff.

Flashaholic*

^ next time try using stubby drills will minimize flex. A Micro drill press also works great, drill fixture, and hole transfer punch.. You're in production!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 01-09-2019 at 11:43 PM.

The Tactician should at least have a clicky switch if it's not going to have a 2-stage pressure switch. Also it's too long for what it is.
    Surefire designed that light the way they did for a specific tactical purpose. Its the perfect UI for those that have the particular use case that called for that design. Having a clicky would be completely wrong for the use case that the tactician was created for. Not all of us have that use case (I don't). That is why we have both the tactician and other series lights with different UIs such as the EDCL series.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    Surefire designed that light the way they did for a specific tactical purpose. Its the perfect UI for those that have the particular use case that called for that design. Having a clicky would be completely wrong for the use case that the tactician was created for. Not all of us have that use case (I don't). That is why we have both the tactician and other series lights with different UIs such as the EDCL series.
    Yep, the Tactician was designed from the ground up by the team at Tactical Response, in conjunction with Surefire, specifically to be used with a handgun in low light situations. If you do not carry a handgun this may not be the light for you. Although, this lights Malkoff style UI is still great for many situations imo. Clicky switches have no place in low light combat. As to the size, it's one of Surefires smallest 2 cell lights. It's only slightly larger then an old E2E incan and the head is tiny(short and only 1"). If you want it smaller then throw a 1 cell body on and use a 16340(without PTC).

The EDCL Series is kind of a cross between a low light tactics handgun accompaniment light and a simple to use EDC light. It's switch is still compatible with high stress situations being momentary and always having high instantly accessable with a button mash(humans tend to loose dexterity and tense up under stress) but, also works great for other EDC applications because it has a low and leads from it.

Oh, and FYI fyrstormer, a Z52(probably most E-Series clickies) works just fine on the Tactician as does Malkoff's new E-Series tailcap apparently. Lower cost, yet still high quality, options can be found from Lumens Factory in momentary or clicky.

Photo courtesy of Jose Marin showing the M2T-MV with Malkoff's new E-Series tailcap...

Photos of my M2T-MV wearing a Lumens Factory Z52 momentary(looks identical to the clicky which I also have).

https://i.imgur.com/SVbWyE3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vORNAqZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iLom0Qg.jpg
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-10-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added more info and pics.

Flashaholic*

Well, back to the EDCL1-T...

Mine just arrived. First impressions...

It's a nice light. Large for its cell type but, I knew that going in.

This is my first gas pedal tailcap from SF and I am digging it. A great compromise that should keep both tactical and utilitarian users happy.

Beam profile is nice, it has a descent amount of throw but, still a fairly bright spill(a good all around beam profile).

Tint is slightly yellow/greenish(mainly the hotspot's corona) but, again I knew that going in.

Clip is just ok. I don't like how it hits the knurling on the tailcap but, it's nice that it is bezel down, two way, and decently deep carry. It would be nice if it were thicker material like the Tactician's.

Knurling and anodization is great just like most of SF's.

I will put it through its paces and report back. I look forward to the sun going down🙂.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Yes, I know the Tactician can fit a clicky tailcap, I just think it should've come with one. Or at least the momentary tailcap shouldn't have that large smooth ring around the outside edge that makes it tougher to get a good grip on the tailcap to tighten it. My more significant complaint is the lack of a single-cell battery tube option, and the special extended threaded area that is incompatible with other E-series lights even though they share the same diameter and thread pitch. (give me a little credit Tachead, I did think to try that -- the Tactician head won't thread onto an E-series battery tube far enough to engage the high setting.) I don't have enormous hands, so I don't need a two-cell battery tube to hold the light securely, and I prefer the smaller form-factor of a single-cell battery tube anyway. So in that respect the EDCL1-T is better-suited to me, though I wouldn't object to having the option of a single-cell Tactician as well.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    ^ next time try using stubby drills will minimize flex. A Micro drill press also works great, drill fixture, and hole transfer punch.. You're in production!
    I'll keep that in mind when my little people-nugget gets a little older and doesn't require constant supervision when awake. Or someone who already has the fabrication capacity can take my idea and run with it; I'm not claiming any sort of exclusive ownership of the idea. Just make sure to seal the hole left behind by the removed stopper-screw with a bit of epoxy, to preserve the light's watertightness.

Yes, I know the Tactician can fit a clicky tailcap, I just think it should've come with one. Or at least the momentary tailcap shouldn't have that large smooth ring around the outside edge that makes it tougher to get a good grip on the tailcap to tighten it.
    Just out of curiosity are you stating that you think this light should come with a clicky tailcap and without the large ring because you are using it for its designed use case (Hand held tactical light to accompany a firearm) and finding that it is a poor design for its intended purpose? Or are you stating that for your use case you think it should have come with a clicky and no ring?

Flashaholic*

Yes, I know the Tactician can fit a clicky tailcap, I just think it should've come with one. Or at least the momentary tailcap shouldn't have that large smooth ring around the outside edge that makes it tougher to get a good grip on the tailcap to tighten it. My more significant complaint is the lack of a single-cell battery tube option, and the special extended threaded area that is incompatible with other E-series lights even though they share the same diameter and thread pitch. (give me a little credit Tachead, I did think to try that -- the Tactician head won't thread onto an E-series battery tube far enough to engage the high setting.) I don't have enormous hands, so I don't need a two-cell battery tube to hold the light securely, and I prefer the smaller form-factor of a single-cell battery tube anyway. So in that respect the EDCL1-T is better-suited to me, though I wouldn't object to having the option of a single-cell Tactician as well.
    Like I said, a clicky has no place in low light combat and that is what this light is designed for. It sounds like you may have just picked the wrong model for your application.

It sounds like the perfect model for you may be the E1B-MV as it is one cell light, uses the exact same MV reflector as the M2T-MV, and comes with a Z52 clicky. It also has an output that is better suited to a one cell configuration. You do loose the Malkoff style mode switching though but, still get a low. I am not sure if it also has the longer head threading but, if it does it should Lego well with your M2T-MV as well.

The EDCL1-T may be a good choice for you too but, keep in mind it is only a little bit shorter then the M2T-MV(4.5" vs 5") and it's head is considerably larger(in diameter and length). It is far from a compact single cell light. I will say though, I am loving the beam profile and the gas pedal switch is just awesome.

I can discuss what I think would be the optimal configuration without needing to use the product for its originally intended purpose. That's how product designs evolve and branch-out. As an engineer I recognize the difference between intended functionality vs. expected functionality. What I would like to see is a Tactician that is designed for my use case, in addition to the existing Tactician designed for someone else's use case.

I tried the E1B-MV as well, but the lack of mode-memory didn't work for me. If I have to cycle through modes, even only two of them, then it should start on the low setting, not the high setting, so I don't accidentally blind myself when turning it on. The Outdoorsman used to work that way, but unfortunately it has been discontinued.

I can discuss what I think would be the optimal configuration without needing to use the product for its originally intended purpose.
    I understand. I was just wondering if you were stating that you feel the light is not in its optimal configuration for its intended purpose when you say that it should have come with a clicky, or if you were stating that for your purposes you would prefer a clicky. It seems that you were stating the latter rather than the former, which makes sense, as its design and current configuration does seem to warrant the twisty that it comes with.

I tried the E1B-MV as well, but the lack of mode-memory didn't work for me. If I have to cycle through modes, even only two of them, then it should start on the low setting, not the high setting, so I don't accidentally blind myself when turning it on.
    This is what kept me from the e1b as well. I would prefer it to start with low. That is what I like about the LX2 and why I chose the EDCL-1T. A single cell LX2 would be great.
    Last edited by Lumen83; 01-11-2019 at 03:06 PM.

The single-cell LX2 is called the L1, a.k.a. the ancestor to the EDCL1-T.

On another note, I did some experimentation and I discovered that the Tactician head does work properly with my E1e body -- but not my E1E body (newer than the E1e) or my E1B-MV body. I can only assume this means Surefire revised the length of the threaded area on their E-series bodies to be ever-so-slightly shorter a few years ago, and more recently they specifically designed the Tactician head to be incompatible with E-series bodies that they considered likely to still be in-use. Most vexing. Obviously the Tactician head doesn't match the E1e body at all, since one is dyed black and the other is not.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-12-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Flashaholic*

The single-cell LX2 is call the L1.

On another note, I did some experimentation and I discovered that the Tactician head does work properly with my E1e body -- but not my E1E body (newer than the E1e) or my E1B-MV body. I can only assume this means Surefire revised the length of the threaded area on their E-series bodies to be ever-so-slightly shorter a few years ago, and more recently they specifically designed the Tactician head to be incompatible with E-series bodies that they considered likely to still be in-use. Most vexing. Obviously the Tactician head doesn't match the E1e body at all, since one is dyed black and the other is not.
    Maybe we can ask Mark at Lumens Factory if he would make a run of bodies with the longer threading. I would be in on a couple of those too.

When I look very closely at the Tactician body vs. the E1 body, what I see is the shoulder that the head butts against is trimmed back slightly on the Tactician body, to make room for the Tactician head to screw down slightly further.

I would be in for a Tactician-compatible E1 body, sure.

Flashaholic*

When I look very closely at the Tactician body vs. the E1 body, what I see is the shoulder that the head butts against is trimmed back slightly on the Tactician body, to make room for the Tactician head to screw down slightly further.

I would be in for a Tactician-compatible E1 body, sure.
    10-4.

I will ask Mark in his thread if there is any chance👍.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast