EagTac DX3B Mini Pro

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking online at the EagTac DX3B Mini Pro. This could be my next light. It is a bit pricey, but it might just have the ability to fulfill my current needs.

With several different versions, though, I will have a heck of a time determining which will best serve my needs. This would typically be used while out horseback riding at night out in county equestrian trails. I usually also carry a Klarus XT12GT in my pocket to illuminate things nearby. The EagTac DX3B Mini Pro would simply be clipped to my baseball cap. Considering what th is would be used for, which version would best suit this purpose?

Also, is this a first for a company to produce a light that small that will convert from an 18630 to an 18650 battery? Are there lots of lights that have an extension tube option?

Also, with Black Friday around the corner, does anybody know of any great deals on the EagTac DX3B Mini Pro right now? Perhaps a group buy or even a Cyber Monday deal!

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
There is a review in TLF with runtimegraphs. The DX3B Mini Pro is current excellent regulated. Spot is very cool but spill between cw and nw.
Great light, you will be satisfied.

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
I just returned one for a refund that I received last Friday. I liked the light overall but the feature of programming the Startup mode was ridiculous and I could not make it work. It says to program the lowest startup output, switch to the desired output level and switch off and on the flashlight for three times within one second! This in the Technical Specifications of the light. Well it is almost impossible to switch the light off and on three times within one second! After 25 tries it finally went to the 3d level which I wanted. But when I tried to switch it back to the lowest, I tried 40 times and it finally went to the highest level and I cannot get it out of that! I liked everything about this light but that procedure is absurd! This could be a great light size wise, output wise and UI except for this hard to use feature. If this was changed to a usable feature I would buy this light again, because the rest is great and it comes in warm or cold.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering about your decision to send it back. Do you feel it so strongly important to program the startup mode again and again? I think it is intended to program it once and leave it at the desired level.

I can understand that you are not happy because you needed many attempts. I needed some (5?) too but when you found out the right speed it is no problem any longer.
Besides your problems in programming the startup level it is a fantastic light in my opionion.

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
I never did find the right speed. It ended up in turbo as the startup and I couldnt get it out of that. Illuminationgear where I bought did send me some updated procedure for programming it but I had already returned the light for a refund. They said they would have Eagtac re right the instructions. I did like the light overall size and output, I don't think it is in the $100 class of lights. I have several Zebralights that cost that much and they are a much better build quality light. I was looking for a specific size and output light for everyday carry and the Eagtac fit that, if the price comes down I might try one again.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tompen41 since you use ZL too, did you find that the lowest mode(18-21 lumens) was way too bright for the lowest available mode on a light this small? I agree with what you said too, Eagletac is charging way too much for some of their lights considering the competition.

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
guys n girls...
remember English is not first language for many people.

Let's Review (default settings from factory)
click ON, for LOW.
press ON, for MAX.
press hold while ON to cycle through the different levels.

Start up mode
Original/Current instruction:

• "To program the LOWEST startup output, switch to the desired output level and switch off and on the flashlight for three times within one second."

should be:
  • To program the LOWEST startup output, switch to the desired output level, and within one second, switch OFF and ON the flashlight several times (until you see mode change to desired level).

meaning, to access startup mode~reprogramming,
you have to click switch again within one second of making desired selection to gain access startup programming, then, click 2+ more times until you see your desired level.
= you do NOT click three times within one second.
It's a "timing" issue, not a "timed" issue. :cool:

I too tried to change startup mode multiple times unsuccessfully, while my partner got it on her second try.
Once I understood the timing, I get it every time now...

if anyone has better wording for the above, let me know and we'll pass it along to ET so they can update their info.

Cheers
Tod

Last edited:

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
Tompen41 since you use ZL too, did you find that the lowest mode(18-21 lumens) was way too bright for the lowest available mode on a light this small? I agree with what you said too, Eagletac is charging way too much for some of their lights considering the competition.

The lowest low was a little bright compared to ZL, but I am not that much into ultra lows. I am replacing this light with the Amytek Prime C1 Pro Magnet and this light low goes down to .37 at it's lowest! I have never had a Armytek before but the reviews I see on u-tube for the C2 pro are very good. These 2 lights are brand new and there are no reviews out there yet.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest low was a little bright compared to ZL, but I am not that much into ultra lows. I am replacing this light with the Amytek Prime C1 Pro Magnet and this light low goes down to .37 at it's lowest! I have never had a Armytek before but the reviews I see on u-tube for the C2 pro are very good. These 2 lights are brand new and there are no reviews out there yet.

I didn't have good luck with Armytek. 3 of the 4 lights I bought from them died or had problems in the first year including a Prime(I had both the C1 and C2 Pro). They had some nice features but, I can't really trust them anymore and likely won't buy another. Their warranty department can be quite a hassle to deal with too which was a bit frustrating.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine since yesterday (Thanks Tod, always a pleasure to buy from you!), and have had a little bit of time with it.

What I would like to see improved: I'm not too much a fan of the micro usb cover. The way it protrudes on the side can cause it to pop open with normal handling. And even though Tod already touched on it, I am in the minority camp that would like a lower low or moonlight even. Still, I am okay with the standard low on this light.

What I love: The size, output, and tint (I went with XHP50.2 HD in neutral white). The ability to size up to an 18650 is also a bonus if longer runtimes are needed. While i would like to see the usb cover better implemented, I do appreciate the ability to charge the battery directly in the light.

Speaking of charging the light with the micro usb, has anyone else experienced this? Once the battery has fully charged the button will turn constant blue. If i unplug the cable the button will stay lit blue until I either click the button or loosen the body from the head. I read the manual but couldn't find too much of a mention aside from turning the light in before plugging in the charging cable. Even then, that seemed to be for a different model that has a tail switch.

lebox97

Enlightened
appreciate it moshow!

yes, unlike the other rechargeable DX series (and most other rechargeable models), there is no tailcap switch to switch ON in order to start/power internal charge circuitry (and then click OFF once charge is complete)...
the good news is you just plug USB cable into port to charge DX3B, and once charged, unplug cable and give it a quick click ON/OFF to put light into standby... (also good way to make sure it did indeed full charge and is ready to go)

The silicone USB cover can be removed for general EDC use (and we had them include a spare cover in the accessories bag so you have a spare in case you loose it),
we checked with ET about weatherproofing concerns, and they said the back side of the port is sealed on inside in order to get the IPX8 rating on the light...
but, if you do remove it, I would certainly encourage you to put cover back in place if you plan on exposing light to heavy weather and/or dirt conditions... as it probably is not a good idea to muck up the plug end of the cable either.

a few days ago I finally got a DX3B of my own (due to the limited stock, and popularity of this model), LOL
and I found that after a few days of use, the silicone cover softened up and is now more snug fit/rounded than it was when new... and no longer snags or flips open like it did when fresh out of the box, but as always... YMMV... :)

Cheers

I've had mine since yesterday (Thanks Tod, always a pleasure to buy from you!), and have had a little bit of time with it.

What I would like to see improved: I'm not too much a fan of the micro usb cover. The way it protrudes on the side can cause it to pop open with normal handling. And even though Tod already touched on it, I am in the minority camp that would like a lower low or moonlight even. Still, I am okay with the standard low on this light.

What I love: The size, output, and tint (I went with XHP50.2 HD in neutral white). The ability to size up to an 18650 is also a bonus if longer runtimes are needed. While i would like to see the usb cover better implemented, I do appreciate the ability to charge the battery directly in the light.

Speaking of charging the light with the micro usb, has anyone else experienced this? Once the battery has fully charged the button will turn constant blue. If i unplug the cable the button will stay lit blue until I either click the button or loosen the body from the head. I read the manual but couldn't find too much of a mention aside from turning the light in before plugging in the charging cable. Even then, that seemed to be for a different model that has a tail switch.

Last edited:

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
I just returned one for a refund that I received last Friday. I liked the light overall but the feature of programming the Startup mode was ridiculous and I could not make it work. It says to program the lowest startup output, switch to the desired output level and switch off and on the flashlight for three times within one second! This in the Technical Specifications of the light. Well it is almost impossible to switch the light off and on three times within one second! After 25 tries it finally went to the 3d level which I wanted. But when I tried to switch it back to the lowest, I tried 40 times and it finally went to the highest level and I cannot get it out of that! I liked everything about this light but that procedure is absurd! This could be a great light size wise, output wise and UI except for this hard to use feature. If this was changed to a usable feature I would buy this light again, because the rest is great and it comes in warm or cold.

Follow up with this light. I sent it back to Tod, then after he posted the correct way to set the Startup Level in the instructions I ask him to check mine out and make sure it was working correctly and send it back and I would try it again. He did that and I now want to report that I am very happy with this light. I originally picked it because of the size and output for a EDC Light and I could get it in neutral white. I carry lights this size in a small belt holster by Skyben clipped on a belt hook and you don't even realize you are carrying it and it is very convenient to access. I work a lot of night shifts inside and out where I get a chance to use my lights a lot. Last night I was carrying my new Zebralight SC600w lV Plus and I came upon a strange pickup truck and driver parked when he got out of the truck I hit him with the light from about 25 feet and he was blinded by the light and made the comment what a bright light! The plus has 2300 lumen on max and I just realized this Eagtac has the same on Max! I just got it back to day and I can't wait to try it out tonight. Again overall I like everything about this light. Size, UI, USB charging, the beam and tint is great, love the tint, I am into only neutral white lights now, and the beam has no artifacts at all. I think I am really going to like this light as a rotation with my Zebralights which I now have 7 of for EDC. Tod was very good about working with me with this light and I didn't want to make Illuminationgear look bad in any way. This was my first purchase from them but I will buy from them again due to the great service they gave me.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the update on that. I am still struggling with which version of this to buy. Right now, I am leaning towards the Cree XH-P35 HI Domeless Neutral. It looks like it will have the best throw. I would typically use this outside.

Right now I have a Fenix RC09. I love when it is on Turbo mode at 550 lumens, but it drops down to High with 150 lumens pretty quickly. I think that walking on trails at night the 305 lumens at 1.4 hours should be noticeable brighter than the Fenix's 150 lumens.

I am also inclined to buy an EagTac 18650 3500mAh battery, too. Since it comes with the extension tube, I know that I will want to use it...at least some of the time!

Tod, are the Cree XH-P35 HI Domeless Neutral versions likely to be back in stock any time soon?

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
Jas

I also have the Fenix RCO9 which is why I bought the Eagtac DX3B in the first place. I like the fenix but I wanted more lumens in about the same form factor and I wanted USB chargeable. The DX3b has a more floody beam which I like and the third level of brightness is fine for walking at night. I have the XHP50.2 Neutral White and the hot spot at 30 feet is approx. 8 feet wide, but it is more like a wall of light hard to tell where the hotspot ends and the spill starts. I like that very much in a work light. I have plenty of other throwers if I need them.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Tompen41, do you think one of the other emitter options would be less like a "wall"?

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
Tompen41, do you think one of the other emitter options would be less like a "wall"?

I don't know, I guess it would depend on whether the reflector is the same with the other emitters. However I am partial to Neutral White lights, that is all I buy anymore. This light has plenty of throw for normal use unless you need to light up something further than a couple hundred feet away.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I actually would prefer a little less throw and more flood. Do you (or anyone else) know of a TIR drop in that might fit?

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer less throw and I would like to see more flood. Ultimately I have decided to send this light back because it is not easy to find the button in the dark or by feel.

Last edited: