• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready, Torchlab, Moddoo. Who's who?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been confused by this for a while, but now that I have a BOSS on the way I think it worth asking.

What's the history of the Oveready store, and where did the names Moddoolar and Torchlab come from? It all seems to be one entity, but certain products are advertised with each name.

Thanks!

Croquette

Enlightened
What I know :

Torchlab = Moddoo (cpf name) (he makes flashlight and he's probably one of the best)

Oveready = Electronguru sells the flashlight made by Torchlab and maybe others. And they probably have the best customer care service you can find.

I won't tell more as I don't want to make mistake.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electron Guru will come along soon enough if anyone is a bit off...

This team is a favorite for sure, making flashlights that are worthy of admiration. (Not the only ones of course)

Moddoolar, of Minnesota, machines flashlight bodies, components and other things on contract. Torchlab are probably the same people but focus on combining the emitters and electronics (from Lux/rc?) with the machined parts. Oveready, in Oregon, takes part in the design, quality control, and assembly of finished flashlights as well as the sale of such items. I think Electron Guru makes most of the final decisions, with input from the Team.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

My name is Tom.
I am the guy who runs TorchLab.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer.
I design and build the lights for you guys.

Back in 2009, I introduced the first high powered triple led flashlights to the world.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-XP-E-lt-gt-P60-drop-ins-SALES-CLOSED-FOR-NOW
These evolved into
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243322-Moddoo-Drop-ins-Triple-CREE-XP-E

Soon after, Dan and I started working together.
Dan (Electronguru) then started Oveready.com to handle the sales, customer service, etc for my products.

Moddoolar is a line of flashlights I created with modularity as a focus.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...olar-Triple-Wasp-Cooling-Head-and-Glow-System

Serge at Lux RC is the electrical engineer, and a genius.
The 3 of us have spent hundreds of hours developing the LuxRC engines.
http://lux-rc.com/content/products/flashlights/Minions

Today, Serge, Dan, and I work together to bring you guys the best that we can.

The BOSS lights took several months to develop from scratch, along side the V5 371 circuit boards from LuxRC.
We are very happy to offer these to you currently.

Happy to answer any more questions you guys might have.

Now, back to the Lab to make more lights for you guys!

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tom!

Keep up the fabulous work!

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji41]

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
He already did. Moddoolar is a flashlight series he created. So compared to Surefire it would be "TorchLab" = Surefire and "Moddoolar" = C Series.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Still wondering about the genesis of the BOSS. Wondering what part Electron Guru had in its design.

I take a pretty active role in everything I sell. With OR/TL/LR that takes on special meaning, with the three of us collaborating on most steps of development. So Serge engineered and builds the v5 and the design included a lot of input and testing from Tom and I. And Tom engineered and builds the moddoolar and BOSS and many other parts (including the ZRS and brass McClicky ring). And the BOSS' design included input from me...

My dad was born on a dairy farm in the 1930's. He made and fixed things himself mechanical and electrical, raising me with a love for tools and science/engineering. The design question the BOSS answers is: how would someone in the 1930's dream of a future flashlight to look? Tom then applied blood sweat and tears to metal and glass, turning this vision into something you can hold and use. So the shape is both the ideal tool handle for getting things done and a rocket ship from vintage comic books.

Last edited:
Some of their earliest offerings next to their more recent.

~ Chance

OYSJMsq.jpg

UJyaVui.jpg

Dead Reckoning

Newly Enlightened
They are a Trifecta of evil geniuses. Bent on the overthrow of the flashlight world. Their plan is coming together....

mikesantor

Enlightened

The BOSS lights took several months to develop from scratch....

What you expect to hear:

"The BOSS light took several years to develop from scratch...."

What they actually end up saying:

"We got really drunk one night and scribbled some stuff on a napkin and a week later, BAM, perfection was born in the form of the BOSS..."

...and the rest of the hotrod tourch world continues to try and catch up.