Dewalt LED conversion Fusion 48 2000 lumens

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Did a search but can't come up with anything recent. The newest thread I could find was 2012. I'm really impressed that I can get 2000 lm out of my Dewalt flashlight 18 V and in fact I feel like a dummy for not knowing about this sooner. I had already done the $10 LED conversion when it first came out and I was not at all impressed!

It states run times of three hours which is pretty amazing to me and exceeds my Fenix TK75 it would appear. But because I can't come across any info on it in the last five years I'm just trying to get some kind of input.

Looks like it's only sold out of country in Hong Kong and I can't find it locally. It doesn't state whether it's a white or a natural or a cool? So anybody know what the K range is? Says Nicha K1 LED WARM SHIFTED. What does that mean?

Also I'm concerned about heat, any problems with that much heat on the plastic base flashlight? I guess any input would be nice :)

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Did a search but can't come up with anything recent. The newest thread I could find was 2012. I'm really impressed that I can get 2000 lm out of my Dewalt flashlight 18 V and in fact I feel like a dummy for not knowing about this sooner. I had already done the $10 LED conversion when it first came out and I was not at all impressed!

It states run times of three hours which is pretty amazing to me and exceeds my Fenix TK75 it would appear. But because I can't come across any info on it in the last five years I'm just trying to get some kind of input.

Looks like it's only sold out of country in Hong Kong and I can't find it locally. It doesn't state whether it's a white or a natural or a cool? So anybody know what the K range is? Says Nicha K1 LED WARM SHIFTED. What does that mean?

Also I'm concerned about heat, any problems with that much heat on the plastic base flashlight? I guess any input would be nice :)

I'm interested also . Let us know if you buy it .

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested also . Let us know if you buy it .

I did, I ordered two of them for $38 each inc shipping! Since nobody seems to know much about them I will definitely do an update. They also offer others, 1200 and 1000 Lumen.

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
I did, I ordered two of them for $38 each inc shipping! Since nobody seems to know much about them I will definitely do an update. They also offer others, 1200 and 1000 Lumen.

They should have have great run times I would think and tremendous light output with that huge battery . I hope .

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're referring to this product, I take it:
http://www.thefusionlite.com/20lu.html

With that big finned heat sink, and it appears not much connection to the body of the light, I could see it being fine heatwise, but can't say for certain. I'm not seeing how it is retained, however, since the it looks like the normal lens and retaining ring the tool light comes with have to be removed to fit.

2000 lumens for 3 hours should be pretty easily achievable with the big 4 Amp-hour battery packs, but probably not the 1.5 - 2 Amp-hour battery packs a lot of the starter kits come with.

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
With these run times and illumination , I could do away with my quartz light for construction jobs or painting . Maybe , depending on the color .

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
So I received both in the mail several days ago. Shipping was extremely fast considering it was coming from another country. Unfortunately I had already converted over to the cheaper LED kit that was the first to come out for the Dewalt and realized that I had discarded the old screw head and plastic cover as the original LED came with a complete replacement head in one complete package.

This upgrade however is like a bulb replacement and so you need all the original stuff that came with it. I am a prepper and a pack rat and I knew I had it but I didn't know where so it took me several days to locate :)The conversion was than very fast. But let down overall.

Now don't get me wrong, it is still the best thing going for the Dewalt flashlight available and it's more than ample and much better than anything else. So I would still recommend getting It.

That said? It has no real intensity. Yes it lights up a very large area, but not as well as I had hoped. And the color of the light is kind of hard to explain. It's looks ( i'm not good with colors) whiteISH, but has a pinkish hue to it. Compared to any of my Fenix lights, like the TK75, it's not in the same league. Even my PD 35 is much more white and much more intense.

Even in a dark bedroom it's just not going to light it up to bright. Again now, maybe I'm spoiled because of my more expensive flashlights and maybe if I have never owned any of them I would be very excited with this conversion!

But it's very reminiscent in terms of intensity (brightness) and color of the beam of the very cheap $10 LED flashlights you can buy anywhere!

I'm still glad I bought them, as I say it's the best thing going right now, but don't get your hopes up with all of these numbers they throw out there about 2000 lumens and such.

Last edited:

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that . I had hopes of going cordless when painting .

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Six-month update: So the lights are still functioning flawlessly. In fact they are really growing on me at just how bright it is and ever impressed at how much light was squeezed out of the Dewalt 18 V flashlight. But the most amazing aspect is the run time. Two solid hours of very bright light, is a wonderful thing especially since I have over 20 of the DeWalt tools and batteries!!! Nothing beats free power!!! In fact, it's my new "go to" work light right now.

Because of its stable base and being able to pivot the head in absolutely any direction I want, plus I have two of them, it will lighten up absolutely any workspace. To give you an idea, I also have two of the newer DeWalt LED work lights that's a humongous beast and very heavy and also awkward at being able to direct the beam as it always seems to blind you no matter where you put it, and the handhelds are MUCH brighter than those.

In short I would highly recommend this Upgrade :)

BRubble

Newly Enlightened
Six-month update: So the lights are still functioning flawlessly. In fact they are really growing on me at just how bright it is and ever impressed at how much light was squeezed out of the Dewalt 18 V flashlight. But the most amazing aspect is the run time. Two solid hours of very bright light, is a wonderful thing especially since I have over 20 of the DeWalt tools and batteries!!! Nothing beats free power!!! In fact, it's my new "go to" work light right now.

Because of its stable base and being able to pivot the head in absolutely any direction I want, plus I have two of them, it will lighten up absolutely any workspace. To give you an idea, I also have two of the newer DeWalt LED work lights that's a humongous beast and very heavy and also awkward at being able to direct the beam as it always seems to blind you no matter where you put it, and the handhelds are MUCH brighter than those.

In short I would highly recommend this Upgrade :)

Thanks CheaperRooter,

I got a new DeWalt 18V DW919 recently and when I first turned it on with the OE Xenon putting out 325 Lumen's of Cloudy Yellow Light,, I knew I needed to get a better bulb.

Your Thread is one of the one's that convinced me to try one of the Fusion 48 LED module's.

I got the Fusion48 1300 Lumen and it is Way Better than the Xenon Bulb that DeWalt put's in the 18v DW919. I informed DeWalt about the Fusion48 Led and thefusionlite.com website, but I'm not so sure that DeWalt was very interested. I don't know why since the OE Xenon Bulb is coming from Japan.

Anyway I'm really pleased with the Fusion48 1300 Lumen and thanks for your review, as it sure did help me. Thefusionlite.com also have the Fusion48 Led's for other Worklight's too. By the way I did see these for sale on EBay,, but they were much cheaper getting them directly from Hong Kong.

Thanks Again,
Barney

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Didn't realize I had another response to this thread, I guess I'm not getting notifications. I actually logged back on to say I have a disappointing update. It's been a while now, maybe six months ago, but a little over 8 months of very little use, maybe 20 hours tops, as I mainly use my headlamps and one of them went dead for no known reason.

Contacting the seller in Hong Kong was basically a waste of time. Got the ole "send it back and when..." which is OK if you're local, but if you're in Hong Kong and you want to do business in America they need to tighten up on their customer service!!! Factor in the shipping cost and the month delay and it's just not worth your time.

I bought two so I'll just live with one for now. Secretly I would like to buy another one but it's kind of the principle of the matter now. So until I get some longevity on this other light and convince myself it was a fluke and not the norm, which will be about another year of usage will I probably order another.

I'm very impressed with the light itself, but if it's going to be a throwaway item every six months then it's useless regardless lol.

Last edited:

BRubble

Newly Enlightened
Didn't realize I had another response to this thread, I guess I'm not getting notifications. I actually logged back on to say I have a disappointing update. It's been a while now, maybe six months ago, but a little over 8 months of very little use, maybe 20 hours tops, as I mainly use my headlamps and one of them went dead for no known reason.

Contacting the seller in Hong Kong was basically a waste of time. Got the ole "send it back and when..." which is OK if you're local, but if you're in Hong Kong and you want to do business in America they need to tighten up on their customer service!!! Factor in the shipping cost and the month delay and it's just not worth your time.

I bought two so I'll just live with one for now. Secretly I would like to buy another one but it's kind of the principle of the matter now. So until I get some longevity on this other light and convince myself it was a fluke and not the norm, which will be about another year of usage will I probably order another.

I'm very impressed with the light itself, but if it's going to be a throwaway item every six months then it's useless regardless lol.

Hello CheaperRooter,

Sorry that I am replying a month later and that you haven't had good luck with the 2000 Lumen Fusion 48 Led bulb. I need to check this forum more often so that I am more punctual.

I got the 1300 Lumen Fusion 48 Led,, and so far no problem's. I chose the 1300 Lumen because of a longer run time and still much brighter than the 320 Lumen Xenon OE Bulb that the Dewalt 919 come's with.

One of my concern's was putting a Fully Charged 18V battery in and then immediately turning on the Light. In the Dewalt manual that come's with the 919, it say's not to turn the light on immediately after installing a Fully Charged 18V Battery because a Fully charged 18V battery will be slightly more than 18V and will damage the OE Xenon bulb. I contacted Fusion Lite about this and they said that it was ok to turn on immediately after a fully charged 18V Battery because the fusion 48 1300 is ok up to 20V

Are you useing the 20V battery with the 18 to 20V Adapter? The reason I ask is because a fully charged 20V Battery might exceed the Fusion 48 LED's 20V Input Voltage. This is just a Wild Guess on my part, because I was thinking when I go to 20V I can just use the 18 to 20V Adapter.

Sure hope my Wild Guess is the problem,, because these Fusion 48 Led's for the DeWalt really do put out a much Brighter White Light than the OE Zenon Bulb that the Dewalt 919 come's with.

Regard's,
Barney

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bet the 18v is actually 20v off the charger as nicads charge to about 1.4v but are rated at 1.2v in battery packs and lithium ion 18v and 20v are one and the same as one is measured at 3.6v/cell the other 4v/cell and the cell is lithium ion. Essentially you can measure nominal voltage and voltage off the charger or max voltage. Most lights are going to either high power emitters or SMD LEDs on these tool lights.

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Hello CheaperRooter,

Sorry that I am replying a month later and that you haven't had good luck with the 2000 Lumen Fusion 48 Led bulb. I need to check this forum more often so that I am more punctual.

I got the 1300 Lumen Fusion 48 Led,, and so far no problem's. I chose the 1300 Lumen because of a longer run time and still much brighter than the 320 Lumen Xenon OE Bulb that the Dewalt 919 come's with.

One of my concern's was putting a Fully Charged 18V battery in and then immediately turning on the Light. In the Dewalt manual that come's with the 919, it say's not to turn the light on immediately after installing a Fully Charged 18V Battery because a Fully charged 18V battery will be slightly more than 18V and will damage the OE Xenon bulb. I contacted Fusion Lite about this and they said that it was ok to turn on immediately after a fully charged 18V Battery because the fusion 48 1300 is ok up to 20V

Are you useing the 20V battery with the 18 to 20V Adapter? The reason I ask is because a fully charged 20V Battery might exceed the Fusion 48 LED's 20V Input Voltage. This is just a Wild Guess on my part, because I was thinking when I go to 20V I can just use the 18 to 20V Adapter.

Sure hope my Wild Guess is the problem,, because these Fusion 48 Led's for the DeWalt really do put out a much Brighter White Light than the OE Zenon Bulb that the Dewalt 919 come's with.

Regard's,
Barney

Looks like we both have that problem of waiting a month to respond :) I'm using 18 V and the runtime is absolutely fantastic. I mean I've kept this thing burning for a couple hours and it hasn't dimmed at all. I have yet to be able to run the battery down but the most I've used it nonstop is around 2 1/2 hours!

HOWEVER!!!! As impressed as I am with the 2000 lm and unbelievable runtime, this is the LAST one I'm spending good money on!!!! The reason is simple. The light is cheap CRAP and breaks very easily if you bump it or bang it when it's been on long enough that it starts to get hot. It is extremely fragile, think dropping an egg kind of fragile.

I noticed they had them on eBay for $52 which is $15 more than buying it from Hong Kong but I went ahead and got it anyway. I'm out here right now working and had the Dewalt light on top of my tailgate. I knocked the light over and it hit the ground. Not concrete, dirt and It immediately went out and it's juiced!!!

Heck I can take all my other LED lights and throw them like a baseball up against a brick wall and not have them go out. Very upsetting and I'm very let down :(

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Oh well. It's official. Least ways for the 2000 I can't speak for the others. Decided to see how long I could run it on the 18V pack and after about three hours it just went out... just dead. It was a lithium pack so I thought maybe the pack was dead but come to find out it wasn't. So now I have my THIRD 2000 LED light that has blown and this one now not because it was dropped but because it just got too hot I guess, is all I can assume, no known reason.

So of the three, two went out on their own for no known reason and one because it was dropped. Evidently that is just too powerful and they're getting too hot and not holding up because of the heat!

Like the dumb, THICK skulled hardheaded mule I am, I ordered a three pack from Korea for 100 bucks. I'm just so impressed with how bright they are combined with the awesome run times and because of course I am a prepper, it's just something I really want but I'm not going to use them I'm just going to save them for the "what if and maybe if" time ever comes with a mental note not to burn them for more than 30 minutes or so and then let it cool down, alternating each one of the three!

Last edited:

BRubble

Newly Enlightened
Oh well. It's official. Least ways for the 2000 I can't speak for the others. Decided to see how long I could run it on the 18V pack and after about three hours it just went out... just dead. It was a lithium pack so I thought maybe the pack was dead but come to find out it wasn't. So now I have my THIRD 2000 LED light that has blown and this one now not because it was dropped but because it just got too hot I guess, is all I can assume, no known reason.

So of the three, two went out on their own for no known reason and one because it was dropped. Evidently that is just too powerful and they're getting too hot and not holding up because of the heat!

Like the dumb, THICK skulled hardheaded mule I am, I ordered a three pack from Korea for 100 bucks. I'm just so impressed with how bright they are combined with the awesome run times and because of course I am a prepper, it's just something I really want but I'm not going to use them I'm just going to save them for the "what if and maybe if" time ever comes with a mental note not to burn them for more than 30 minutes or so and then let it cool down, alternating each one of the three!

CheaperRooter,

Sorry that the 2000 Lumen's have let you down. I haven't used the 1300 Lumen that I got that much,, so I'll see how it goe's over time.

You know maybe the Heat Sink is just not good enough for the 2000 Lumen Led Module, just a thought though. I think I remember them haveing a 1600 Lumen as well as the 1300 Lumen. I got the 1300 because of the longer run time and figured that it would be bright enough for me.

I guess we are ahead of the curve on the Super Bright Led Light's and the Technology just hasn't quiet caught up with exactly what we need. I really like the DW919 Design though and got it for when I need an extra light working on the Vehicle's and Machine's where the LED won't get so hot that it'll melt plastic wireing or sing material's inside the Truck.

Thank's for shareing,
Barney

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
CheaperRooter,

Sorry that the 2000 Lumen's have let you down. I haven't used the 1300 Lumen that I got that much,, so I'll see how it goe's over time.

You know maybe the Heat Sink is just not good enough for the 2000 Lumen Led Module, just a thought though. I think I remember them haveing a 1600 Lumen as well as the 1300 Lumen. I got the 1300 because of the longer run time and figured that it would be bright enough for me.

I guess we are ahead of the curve on the Super Bright Led Light's and the Technology just hasn't quiet caught up with exactly what we need. I really like the DW919 Design though and got it for when I need an extra light working on the Vehicle's and Machine's where the LED won't get so hot that it'll melt plastic wireing or sing material's inside the Truck.

Thank's for shareing,
Barney

Just out of curiosity, do you think drilling holes in the side of the plastic housing that holds the bulb will dissipate the heat? Of course it won't be waterproof as well but I have extras so for the wet days I guess I can screw on the regular housing but for dry nights maybe the holes will ventilate it better???