HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Not only is this my oldest led flashlight, it's been my most used and best tinted light that I've ever owned.

It's been getting used everyday, since I can remember. It sits on my dresser and gets turned-over to illuminate the bedroom, while I'm getting dressed each morning, without disturbing my wife.

So, what's your oldest led flashlight?

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Default Re: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

My oldest is the Fenix TK11 R2. That one is where it all started for me

The oldest led flashlight I own would probably have to be my HDS 170 Golden Dragon. This light was build somewhere in the 2009-2010 timeframe.

EDIT: I actually had forgotten about my original Inova X5. I think I got it around 2006 or 2007.

Last edited by jdboy; 11-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Brinkmann "Long Life LED"
    Just like this one: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/brinkman.htm

The, still ongoing, lifetime review.... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Life-LED-Light
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Good thread idea.

Not sure what years these are from:

L to R:
    A Brinkmann Long Life my father in law gave me for fixing his (brighter) 4C Maglite, a 65 lumen Pentagon L2 that has a suprisingly good beam, an early minimag LED, an early LED Lenser V2 triple (with a whopping 12 purple lumens), and a Pelican 2390 that also has a surprisingly good beam.

Not shown are the ARC aaa LE (nip), an nip 3 watt minimag, a 65 lumen SureFire G2L and an nip Coast/LED Lenser turbo torch with an amazing 50 lumen turbo.
    The bykfixer museum has set out to acquire a few early production, trend setting LED lights from the days when a light bulb was brighter, yet LED lights were starting to show up in stores.
    The LED Lenser V2 triple was my bedside table lamp for years. No idea where I got it, but when I arrived here it got retired in exchange for a Malkoff MD2 set on low then an Elzetta Alpha with a hi/lo switch that stayed on low. But I use the Pentagon and Pelican often.

Oh snap. I forgot about the Gen 1 Inovas... emmisive energy owned X1, X3 and X5... I have some early Nite Ize owned versions still nip as well. But my favorite is the 85 lumen X1. That's a goody.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

A Fenix PD01 that still works like new!

Flashaholic*

My oldest is a Photon Freedom Micro that I got when they first came out. Still going.

My oldest handheld light is a Malkoff Wildcat V1 or a Hound Dog V1. I can't remember which came out first.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Either my 70s circa Eveready Captain or Captain Jr. (3D, 2C). The PR6 (incan bulbs) burned out awhile back, so I bought some kind of Niteize led (~50 lumens) and replaced both.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Good thread idea.

Not sure what years these are from:

L to R:
    A Brinkmann Long Life my father in law gave me for fixing his (brighter) 4C Maglite, a 65 lumen Pentagon L2 that has a suprisingly good beam, an early minimag LED, an early LED Lenser V2 triple (with a whopping 12 purple lumens), and a Pelican 2390 that also has a surprisingly good beam.

Not shown are the ARC aaa LE (nip), an nip 3 watt minimag, a 65 lumen SureFire G2L and an nip Coast/LED Lenser turbo torch with an amazing 50 lumen turbo.
    The bykfixer museum has set out to acquire a few early production, trend setting LED lights from the days when a light bulb was brighter, yet LED lights were starting to show up in stores.
    The LED Lenser V2 triple was my bedside table lamp for years. No idea where I got it, but when I arrived here it got retired in exchange for a Malkoff MD2 set on low then an Elzetta Alpha with a hi/lo switch that stayed on low. But I use the Pentagon and Pelican often.

Oh snap. I forgot about the Gen 1 Inovas... emmisive energy owned X1, X3 and X5... I have some early Nite Ize owned versions still nip as well. But my favorite is the 85 lumen X1. That's a goody.
    I have one of those Generation 2 Brinkman Longlife lights too, and an inova x3 someplace, and a Radiant (with a failed switch) somewhere as well that I totally forgot about until now.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

My old TK11Q5 was my first serious light, from about '07 - '08, a 2 x aa led Mag from about '06, i think, and a couple of LL's before that ( and all still going strong, albeit well outclassed now ).

From ~2006-2012, pre-finding CPF, I usually had a tiny coast/led lenser like this on my keychain:

My oldest LED is a Princeton Tec impact and a impact 2. I also have an “ Everled “ installed in one of my D cell lights.

1. Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

2. What was your first LED light?

3. What was the LED light that started your light addiction?

4. What was your first real high performance LED light?

1. Brinkmann LED light. I still have it. Rear clicky that was easily actuated with tongue tip in mouth hold. I bought it in 2001 and used it to do 15 minute beadchecks when on overnite shift when I was night staff supervisor at the local secure facility for extreme at risk teenage girls. Topics such as this topic bring back memories fairly regularly when such topics come up.

2. Same as above.

3. Four-sevens MMU-X3. Ultra classic, but I had to have moar power.

4. Niwalker MM15. Another ultra classic, it gave me more power, but I had to have moar and moar power.
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post

What we think is high performance today, hopefully, will not be high performance, soon enough. I am still waiting on my 303 lpw at 350ma 4000k or 5000k cree: I want the 2014 prototype. But expect at least 240 lpw. I assume it is on the slow boat from China. Yes, yes, this is the reason I am still using my 2015 202lpw at 350ma, xpl home builds. Otherwise, I might believe Cree fired their head innovator.
    Last edited by degarb; 11-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Did a little Google. Correction: In 1998, C. Crane introduced the "CCTrek" flashlight. This flashlight used two white LEDs as opposed to an incandescent bulb.

The Bob Crane company is ahead of the curve on many items. But, probably lagged behind someone who was really ahead, as I have seen on other items. I wonder, who?
    Last edited by degarb; 11-27-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    1. Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

2. What was your first LED light?

3. What was the LED light that started your light addiction?

1) Oldest? No idea how old my early LED lights are but I think the ARC AAA LE is the oldest.

2) First was an LED Lenser V2 triple. I have no idea when or where it was acquired, but do know I still drank when I got it and have been sober nearly 15 years.

3) A Coast HP7 started my fascination with LED lights. Being a recovered addict "addiction" is no longer allowed. I bought several versions of the HP7 before a SureFire G2x Pro turned my attention to all things cop lights.

4) My PK Design Lab FL 2 was my first "high performance" flashlight and is still my benchmark.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

1. Oldest - CMG Infinity (Red)
    2. First - same light
    3. Addiction - CMG Infinity (White), I sat it bezel down on the dresser one night and forgot to turn it off. When I picked it up the next morning it was still as "bright" as the night before. I was hooked!
    4. Performance? Depends on the what you consider that to be. At one time high performance was 30-60 lumens from LUX I and LUX III or the 100 lumen "wall of light" from a LUX V. I guess the INOVA XO (original TIROS version),INOVA T1(TIROS) and the Fenix L2P come to mind.The CMG Reactor may have been the first I had forgotten about it.I think the XO was first. Never did get a LUX V fortunately the CREE XR-E came along and changed everything. My first XR-E light was the Lumapower D-Mini.

EDIT:Added a light I forgot about!
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 12-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

My oldest light is a cheap plastic 2 celled light from the 80s or early 90s which my father had. But the earliest light i EDCed was a mini maglite from around 1995. I still have it.

Im Only 19, but this was the first high output light i bought with a rechargeable 18650 battery i think when i was 13/14 just getting into Flashlights
    The light is a Heider CFX rated at 700 meters throw, but its obviously not true haha, still works but i never use it now because of the better lights i now have lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodzy98 View Post
    Im Only 19, but this was the first high output light i bought with a rechargeable 18650 battery i think when i was 13/14 just getting into Flashlights
    The light is a Heider CFX rated at 700 meters throw, but its obviously not true haha, still works but i never use it now because of the better lights i now have lol.
    What year did you purchase, and from what year, roughly, did it come out?

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    What year did you purchase, and from what year, roughly, did it come out?
    Haha, im not sure it was years ago though, i think it only has like 300 lumens but thats only from what it looks like too the eye

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodzy98 View Post
    Ok, I was reading lm 19, a. k. a.19 lm (lumens) , not I'm 19.

At only 19 lm, I was thinking it looked like my 2007 Jupiter emitter. But few used 18650s, except few on cpf.

I love that the 51 lpw jupiter bare emmitter is still selling in 2017. https://www.amazon.com/24pcs-Nichia-.../dp/B00FP22N26
    Last edited by degarb; 11-27-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Flashaholic

Inova x5, one of the original grooved bodies not the later and brighter hex bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Ok, I was reading lm 19, a. k. a.19 lm (lumens) , not I'm 19.

At only 19 lm, I was thinking it looked like my 2007 Jupiter emitter. But few used 18650s, except few on cpf.

I love that the 51 lpw jupiter bare emmitter is still selling in 2017. https://www.amazon.com/24pcs-Nichia-.../dp/B00FP22N26
    Hahah oh yeah thats My age to clarify haha 19" 🤣, very nice

Well i found that my oldest white led flashlight (post 38) came out in 2005, So that`s like 12 years old.

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Well i found that my oldest white led flashlight (post 38) came out in 2005, So that`s like 12 years old.

John.
    Me too, 2005: But the Walmart light sported a 2 year old 2003, I believe, lux1 emitter, in a deep smo reflector, aaa pack cut off for 3 aa. And just to point out, because it wasn't a large die and had focus, yet covered eye cones with hot spot, was wearable, plenty of corona spill, 6 hour runtime at max drive...the design was a workhorse that I was unable to improve upon that much. I tried to build dual led head lamp in 2008 that used tool belt battery cords and a rebel 80 and an xrc (never could get more than one xre to focus right). But the design was too ungainly to use more than every now and then, providing a wire was not broken on next use.... Depot came out with a tir 3aa 80 lpw headlamp in 2008. But not a slam dunk over the early lux 1 brinkman. The xpg r3 26mm smo 4 aaa with true cc 90% efficient buck driver with over 8 hours of near 4k candela, fenix hp11, purchased in 2011, was first slam dunk over the lux 1. Think I bought 4, which I still use for workers, even though I built several 2 watt 2s18650 cc, infinitely dimming comfortable 280 to 374 lumen 5700 candela headlamps with minimum runtime of 8.5 hours, so men can't accidentally or purposely run out if battery and call it an early day. I don't know if I wore out the lux 1s,but compared with my newer 2 watt home builds, they look like pen lights. Yet, they were extremely bright and useful in their time, which I really did not expect at the time of the first purchase.

I know by 2008, mh headlamps, were popular with people that needed 400 to 600 lumens for short periods. Very relevant to this thread, yet technically not.

Now, nothing on Wikipedia about first white led date, production, or use. To sum up what I read in broadbrush:_1907ish basic principles of led discovered, 1927 first led made by a Russian, 1961 first practical ir led prototype (1962 patent filed, 1964 patent issued, ti) 1962 first practical optical led prototype, 1968 Monsanto was first to mass produce leds, by the 70s they were commonly used (number displays in calculators and slide rulers). Haitz law held. Then in 1994,the first bright blue led was invented, and shortly there after they discovered or employed the phosphor trick for the white led. No date, nor inventor listed. Probably, several companies claim to be the inventor. I know nichia has been credited other places.... So still a mystery as to when invented and when the first white led flashlight was made or sold. My guess is that it was at least 2 years prior to the 1998 bob crane flashlight :1995 or 1996.
    Last edited by degarb; 11-29-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Of the ones I still have, the Photon Freedom Covert is still the most used and my currently oldest LED Flashlight.

Flashaholic*

I had a bunch of lights from the early 2000s that I have away or sold. Electrolumens xm3 was my first high power led light. The only thing I have left is my sandwich shoppe bb750ng inside a mininag with a lux iii

Flashaholic*

I've still got my mini-mag from 1999-ish with the NiteIze led drop-in. That was probably my first LED flashlight.

--flatline

HI,

My old flashlight is Royavac 250 lumens.
    what to do with older flashlight? toss it away? but seem like kinda waste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast