Best p60 2aa host?

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
So what is the best 2aa p60 host? I remember the solarforce l2r, is there anything like that? I know a 3 cell surefire with a battery spacer will work but wondering if there is anything aa specific? Thanks!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I haven't tried this, but I have read about it here.
The Malkoff MDC 2AA body supposedly fits the VME head, which can take a P60 such as the Malkoff M31.

I would say that sounds like the best to me.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for Redfire by Fivemega. The tube is red though. You can also ask him if he has any natural or black tubes.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a 3XAA five mega host that I run a malkoff m60LL in. Run time is crazy.

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I might go the malkoff way. I love the p60 format and wish there were still lots of bodies for it like back in 09!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready sells AA delrin battery sleves for 17mm and 18mm bodies so that you can use AA batteries in them. Then you can use any 3xCR123 host. I have a SureFire G3 set up with a Malkoff M31NL and 2xAA cells in a sleve.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ye ole Rayovac AA indestructable with a SolarForce head will allow bright LED's to be used with decent disipation. The supplied rubber covered head takes P60's just fine but traps heat so something hotter than 150 lumens or so may cook itself over time.
I haven't found an alternative tailcap to it yet... it's the wide threads.

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Ye ole Rayovac AA indestructable with a SolarForce head will allow bright LED's to be used with decent disipation. The supplied rubber covered head takes P60's just fine but traps heat so something hotter than 150 lumens or so may cook itself over time.
I haven't found an alternative tailcap to it yet... it's the wide threads.

Those can take solarforce heads? I've heard people talk about them but all the threads that have pictures don't show anymore. Do you have any pics?

stephenk

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I might go the malkoff way. I love the p60 format and wish there were still lots of bodies for it like back in 09!
Life moves on. Now that you can get decent budget lights from Convoy and Thorfire for $15, there is less demand for more expensive P60 drop ins and hosts. P60 still has some life, but more for niche markets.

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Life moves on. Now that you can get decent budget lights from Convoy and Thorfire for $15, there is less demand for more expensive P60 drop ins and hosts. P60 still has some life, but more for niche markets.

What can I say, I'm old school and the p60 is my favorite format. I love it's legobility!!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the p60 format but mostly for incans. With led the heat sinking is an issue. I wrap mine tightly in copper but it's wedged in there so tight it might as well be permanent. That being said thermal problems aren't a problem for a 2xAA host. Besides the crummy tint I have a solar force drop in that will work from one nimh to one lithium cell. Wish solar force still made their 2xAA host

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those can take solarforce heads? I've heard people talk about them but all the threads that have pictures don't show anymore. Do you have any pics?

IMG_20171126_223340.jpg

L to R
- SolarForce L2M with round head and smooth bezel using the Rayovac 2 setting module.
- Rayovac 2aa with Malkoff M31L
- Rayovac 2aa with SolarForce L2M head, smooth bezel and a Malkoff M31W. (Note, $2 Malkoff Scout head adapter gasket between the lens and drop in)

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
IMG_20171126_223340.jpg

L to R
- SolarForce L2M with round head and smooth bezel using the Rayovac 2 setting module.
- Rayovac 2aa with Malkoff M31L
- Rayovac 2aa with SolarForce L2M head, smooth bezel and a Malkoff M31W. (Note, $2 Malkoff Scout head adapter gasket between the lens and drop in)

Wow that's great! Thanks!