Help with building my perfect edc light

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
The new Surefire EDCL-2t has got me thinking about my perfect edc light. I have the following lights, but none of them is quite right. A Vital Gear 1x cr123 body and Lumens Factory 3 mode head has excellent output and throw, but it's too small and you can't lock it in a mode or pre-select high or low. My Surefire 6p has great output with my homemade 2 mode drop in, but it's too big to carry and, again, you can't pre-select hi or low. The Solar force 2xAA is a great size, you can pre-select hi or low with a head twist, and the pocket clip is positioned just where I like it, but the high is less than 200 lumens. They all take rechargeable batteries. Darn, I can't post my picture of these three lights.

Anyway, I want to put together my perfect edc light and here is what I am trying to accomplish:
1. Rechargeable 16650 or two 16340 batteries.
2. 5 to 5.5 inches long and 1 inch at maximum diameter.
3. Bezel down carry with very little tailcap sticking out of my pocket.
4. At least 500 lumens and good throw on high.
5. Low in the 5 to 20 lumens range.
6. Select hi or low from tail cap or head twist. For example, Elzetta or Malkoff systems. OR the two stage Surefire gas pedal switch available on some E series lights.

The Surefire EDCL-2t looks promising, but it isn't made for rechargeable batteries. Any suggestions on parts to Lego my perfect light? Lumens Factory has a single mode, E series head with XPL HI bulb that could work, but it needs a way to provide the low mode. The Malkoff MDC 16650 is the perfect size, carry setup, battery, and output but it is lmh. If I could get it with the selector ring it would be perfect.

If you have ideas for a light I could assemble that fits these requirements, I would love to hear them.

Scourie

Enlightened
I EDC a Eagletac 18650 DX30LC2-R. Very slim and multimode, but always starts in high with tailswitch or low by holding side switch then tailswitch. Throws very well from stock, but is only rated to 6v. Modded mine for increased throw.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can Lego an old generation FourSevens Quark Tactical Burst Mode 780 lm (QT2L-X) from their accessory section that will meet all your requirements**. QT2L-X head, 2xCR123 tube, forward or reverse clicky, and deep pocket carry clip. Programmable 2-mode with loose/tight bezel UI and runs in any batt combo between 3-9V. Here's an old review of the light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...cal-QT2L-X-Burst-Mode-review&highlight=QT2L-X

** Only issue is 500+ lumens from the larger XPL/XML emitters in sub-1" heads will tend to be floody (although they can throw on sheer power) - the Quarks do not have XPL HI emitters.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am searching for almost the same flashlight :). But I would prefer three levels (low, medium, high). Have you looked at Malkoff MD2 HOT?
This gives you low/high (select by head twist), 500+ lumens on high, very durable. You can use a 18650 (recommended) or 2x CR123A will work, but 2x 16340 can't be used. But the clip isn't for deep-pocket carry, unless you buy a custom tailcap or something like that (Oveready offers this custom tailcap, maybe it also fits MD2?)

I will wait for the first reviews of Surefire EDCL2-T (or EDCL1-T), there is a chance that rechargeables will work (16650 would be awesome). I am not so sure about the twisty two-stage tailcap for every day use, it was always kind of annoying for me for regular use... Of course it makes total sense in a tactical situation.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Malkoff MD2/M61HOT. It's very close to the OP's requirements, although the bezel diameter is 1.25 inches. As Daniel pointed out, it does have a 6v maximum input, so two li-ons would damage the device. While it does not perform well on 2 x 123, it's happy as a clam on any sort of 18650. These would be compromises.

Alternatively, the M61T resolves the voltage/battery issues and runs well on either 123's or a pair of lithium ions. Run time is excellent. The trade off is a slight reduction in out put @350 lumens on high. I own both lights, and for my money, I can't tell the difference between 350 lm and 500 lm unless I hold them side by side and study them closely. You can see my beamshots somewhere on the Malkoff junkie thread. I'm looking for the link now.

Edit: My comparison beam shots are on this page. M61T vs M61HOT

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Official-Malkoff-Junkie-thread-Part-2/page410

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
You should look at the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. It fit's your dimension requirements, has the clip with bezel down carry you want, a high of 500 lumens and you can set it to be able to select high or low with the rear switch. The low is a little higher than you want but not horribly so. It runs on CR123's or 18650's.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have looked at the Eagtac lights but don't want an electronic side switch. Otherwise, they would be great. The Malkoff MD2 are perfect except for the head diameter and pocket clip. I am going to wait for someone to test 16650 batteries in the EDCL-2t and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I will check out the 4sevens idea and the Streamlight suggestions. I might also try a Malkoff head and Surefire LX2 body with the two-stage switch. Thanks again.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Charles Wiggins Quark 2x16340 modified with a XH-P 50 4000k and a BLF A6 Driver. That would put you at about 3000 lumens within your package size and a nice low as well.

Look up CWF Custom Flashlights on facebook. This is his group. Awesome guy and can get you going with a nice build.