Do High Voltage Quark Heads require protected single Li-Ions?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I still love my Quark Tacticals! I tend to run the high voltage heads on single Li-Ions (16650's are awesome when you can't fit an 18650). I've always run protected in the past but does anyone know if I can run unprotected Sanyo 16650 cells with Foursevens heads rated for 3v-9v?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Sorry. I meant to ask if the high voltage heads will stop trying to draw current before damaging a Li-ion from over-discharge. I think batteries are damaged at 2.7v, I'm wondering if these lights really stop drawing power at 3v...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Sorry. I meant to ask if the high voltage heads will stop trying to draw current before damaging a Li-ion from over-discharge. I think batteries are damaged at 2.7v, I'm wondering if these lights really stop drawing power at 3v...

I don't think there is any low voltage protection. I have never tried naked 16650 so don't know if they fit or not either. I bet the KeepPower 16650 protected are longer.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry. I meant to ask if the high voltage heads will stop trying to draw current before damaging a Li-ion from over-discharge. ...I'm wondering if these lights really stop drawing power at 3v...

good question, I think the answer is yes:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...entification&p=3888059&viewfull=1#post3888059
There is one benifit the HV head has over the LV head, and that it's more safe using unprotected and IMR cells, the HV head quits at 3V and the LV head quits at 0.9V which could drain the batts down past a safe Voltage.
GL

maybe do a test for your own peace of mind.. try to run a battery down to 2.7v and let us know what happened.. at 3v.... did the light shut off completely, or just drop to moonlight and keep going. If it shut off before the battery protection circuit kicked in (the light will turn off and the cell will read 0 volts if protection is triggered... fwiw, some batteries have protection at 2.5v)