COB flashlights

Russtopher

Newly Enlightened
Are COB (chip on board) flashlights a new technology? I just purchased a couple of small ones. They appear to be high drain devices too.

Thanks
Russ

zerodish

Newly Enlightened
Yes I think so. The problem with LED's are making them alike enough so that some do not hog all the electricity while others are dim. COBs use a bigger area making them run cooler thus more efficiently. You may have gotten an older regulator like a resistor that is wasting electricity. The disadvantage is it is harder to focus a big area so at the moment these are flood lights.

Russtopher

Newly Enlightened
Yes I think so. The problem with LED's are making them alike enough so that some do not hog all the electricity while others are dim. COBs use a bigger area making them run cooler thus more efficiently. You may have gotten an older regulator like a resistor that is wasting electricity. The disadvantage is it is harder to focus a big area so at the moment these are flood lights.

Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking 🤔.

Russ

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are COB (chip on board) flashlights a new technology? I just purchased a couple of small ones. They appear to be high drain devices too.

Thanks
Russ

I wonder what particular lights did you get? Some members have been considering yuji cob leds but the problem has been the lack of matching boards.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
COB have been around a few years. First one I saw was called "cliplite" that was a 3x AAA shirt pocket light with a clip that rotatates around its axis at the top to rotate the beam versus the magnetic clip. Nice little light that seemed to place light around corners. I use it to light up things where I need to see small details.

Nebo has done their versions of COB and others are starting to. You see them at WalMarts, Home Depots etc.
Perfect for flooding small areas with near showless lighting.

IMG_20171203_094846.jpg

Note the better light coverage and lack of shadows in the bottom photo.
COB lights are an amazing little invention. Great for photography too.

Oh crap, I hope the wife don't see this.... my COB will be in her craft box....

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the new xhp35, xhp50, and xhp70 leds COBs?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Are the new xhp35, xhp50, and xhp70 leds COBs?

No. Those models - while technically arrays - can be reasonably collimated by optics due to their small size and tight die packaging. COB packages are far larger and distribute the dies in such a fashion that all but the most general collimation is impossible.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have several cheap COB flashlights including small keychain lights.
I have 3AAA COB lights with separate LED optic beam, an 18650 LED/COB light, a 2x2032 coin cell COB keychain light, and a 1AAA keychain COB light.
The ones I use the most are the 3AAA and 1AAA COB lights due to their small size with pretty big flood.
COB lights are good for flooding but do suffer from not having all white coverage near the edges it shifts to yellowish color and if you rotate the light you can tell that there is areas that are brighter and darker not an even fading flood output.

I also have a cheap 3AAA COB headlamp I got for about $3 locally. IMO COB is the "new" fluorescent of lighting, that is it looks to be the "go to" for area lighting that fluorescent battery lights were to the 80s etc.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I have several cheap COB flashlights including small keychain lights.
I have 3AAA COB lights with separate LED optic beam, an 18650 LED/COB light, a 2x2032 coin cell COB keychain light, and a 1AAA keychain COB light.
The ones I use the most are the 3AAA and 1AAA COB lights due to their small size with pretty big flood.
COB lights are good for flooding but do suffer from not having all white coverage near the edges it shifts to yellowish color and if you rotate the light you can tell that there is areas that are brighter and darker not an even fading flood output.

I also have a cheap 3AAA COB headlamp I got for about $3 locally. IMO COB is the "new" fluorescent of lighting, that is it looks to be the "go to" for area lighting that fluorescent battery lights were to the 80s etc.

Lynx, I'm curious what brand/model your 3AAA Cob light is as well as your 1AAA Cob light.

Thanks in advance!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lynx, I'm curious what brand/model your 3AAA Cob light is as well as your 1AAA Cob light.

Thanks in advance!

No brand names..... Chinese Ebay finds.
The 3AAA COB light comes in red, black, and blue and is plastic and about $2. It has a magnet on the end and a clicky switch with two modes: Beam/Flood/Off.
The 1AAA COB light comes in several colors and usually has a cheap caribiner attached to it. It costs around $2 also. It has 3 modes: High/Low/Strobe.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
No brand names..... Chinese Ebay finds.
The 3AAA COB light comes in red, black, and blue and is plastic and about $2. It has a magnet on the end and a clicky switch with two modes: Beam/Flood/Off.
The 1AAA COB light comes in several colors and usually has a cheap caribiner attached to it. It costs around $2 also. It has 3 modes: High/Low/Strobe.

The 1AAA would be better if it had a strong magnet on it to hold it to surfaces. The keychain COB I have that uses 2032 batteries has a weak magnet that holds it on some metal surfaces but not all of them.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Dorcy makes a cool cob headlamp for @ $10 with a nice touch sensitive switch which cannot be activated accidentally in a bag, pocket, etc...