Tossed pocket-clips and combat/cigar rings! Ahh...

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I'd forgotten how clean and sleek a light can look and feel. So I removed as many clips and those combat grip/ring things (mostly Nitecore), and really dig it. In fact, I decided to burn the bridge and tossed them out. But of course, the clips on my Surefire UM2 and EB1 will stay on since they're permanent. And the other exception is my ITP A1 EOS - the clip was so tight that removing it revealed deep scarring on the body - so it'll stay on too.

I'm not concerned about any resale value etc. I hope to not change my mind one day and regret it; we'll see...

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights do feel so much better without the pocket clips. My EB1 is also my only clipped light. The ergos make up for the slight inconvenience of pocket carry.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
One trick I use to remove clips that are tight and will scar is take a straw, slide in on both sides of the clip and then pull it off. It works in reverse to reapply a clip without causing scarring. I too prefer a smooth body light but I usually have one of my homemade lanyards on to secure it during use...

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Straw method!!?? That sounds like a great idea. I think I only paid $17 or so for that ITP. If I feel like getting another, I may just try that technique! Then I'd have 2 of them; one for play, one for display. ha ha. Thanks...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most pocket clips are an afterthought and the design shows it. A sleek, well integrated pocket clip is a rare thing. Personally, I don't use any clips and find them to be annoying. Ditch the clip!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it really depends on the size of the light. I like to remove the clips of my smaller EDC flashlights as those bother me especially on twisties. For my larger flashlights I leave them on even when I don't use them very often.

The idea with the straw is really good, I will keep that in mind ;-).

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I find pocket clips very useful, even on the large HL-X. Much easier to retrieve from a pocket, especially when you have gloves on when your doing work and need light. I'm not going to be digging deep into pants or pack pockets to find a light at the bottom when I need it.

I drop bang and scrape my lights daily. I'm not worried about straw tricks lol. Even if it makes the pretty light look ugly they stay. Makes about as much sense to me as saying I'm throwing all my holsters away because they make my guns look ugly or something like that. Guess I could get away with it if I never carried them :wink:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
am a pocket clip guy though... but interesting to know other's preferences. ;)

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I did remove the clip from one light. My headlamp had one on it when I got it. Since it wears the head band all the time I took it off, won't fit with it on. Fits the protac 1L-1AA perfect and is better than the one that came with that light.

All this tossing of pocket clips clips got me wondering now. Do people throw away the headbands to their head lamps too? It makes about as much sense to toss a clip as it does a head band to me. Lots of my lights look odd with the clip off. Like the what's that odd looking groove for?

Taz80

Enlightened
On larger lights like the M23, SRT7, C2 I remove the clips and either leave the cigar ring or replace it with o-rings. On smaller lights like the P200LC2 or SC62 and single cr123 and single AA lights the clips stay and are used. I have remove the headband from a couple of headlamps and use the clips to clip them to the bill of my hat. (H502 and H51). I don't throw out the clips or headbands.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do people throw away the headbands to their head lamps too? It makes about as much sense to toss a clip as it does a head band to me. Lots of my lights look odd with the clip off. Like the what's that odd looking groove for?

A head lamp without a head band is a hand held light. A handheld light without a pocket clip is also a hand held light. Some people prefer a different means of carry. That's all.