REVIEW Acebeam L30 XHP70.2 4000lm 20700

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Review Acebeam L30

http://www.acebeam.com/l30

Acebeam has released another flashlight in his "Hunting &Tactical" category. Powered by a XHP70.2 led and the new 20700 format cell (also acepts 18650 and 2xCR123), it blasts out nearly 4000lms with high sustained lumens in a relative small package. This light is offered in both 6000 or 5000k.
Acebeam has given me this L30 in 6000k without no other compensation than keeping the flashlight to make a sincere review

ANSI.jpg

Presentation

The L30 comes in a nice hard cardboard box, with the new full color design, it seems that Acebeam has left behind their brown boxes with black text

1010789.jpg

You can see printed in the box all the main features, applications and color / tint options.

1010793.jpg

Once opened, you'll find that the light is very well protected inside the holster and with plenty of foam surrounding the flashlight and accesories.

1010795.jpg

1010797.jpg

The lens has a protective plastic sticked to it

1010810.jpg

It brings some accesories such as:
-Spare orings
-Spare rear switch boot
-Micro USB cable
-Lanyard
-Nylon holster, molle compatible
-Very high quality adapter for 18650 cells, made in aluminiun
-High drain 4250mAh 20700 cell, with PCB protection (I'm told it's a Sanyo NCR20700B cell)
-Manual
-Warranty Card

1010803.jpg

1010800.jpg

Acebeam supplies an adapter in order to use regular 18650 cells, but it's only intended to use protected cells because the shorter unprotected ones won't make contact

1010808.jpg

Construction

1010813.jpg

Looking at construction, this light is very well made, Acebeam has used high quality components for it. It's made in aluminiun with HA III anodization with Anti-abrasive finish, the lens is a clear AR coated glass. In general the light is a very high quality one. The knurling is aggressive and grippy so the lights feels very solid in hand.

AR lens and aluminium bezel, it has threads inside so it's pretty sure Acebeam will release filters for this flashlight

1010816.jpg

It has a pocket clip already clipped in the tube.
At the end of thee light there is a cigar grip, with helps when using the rear switch, the lanyard can be attached to it. It's removable by unscrewing it but it will leave the threads visible

1010821.jpg

The side button is made in aluminium, it has a nice touch, I have to say it's softer and easier to push than my L16's one.

1010851.jpg

The tailcap has a forward switch, with momentary on function, tailstanding isn't posible in this light

1010852.jpg

Dissasembly

Let's see the different parts of the flashlight

1010821.jpg

Acebeam has improved their design of the cell tube in this flashlight (compared to the L16). Now both ends are anodized, so mechanical lockout is possible at both the head or the tailcap by unscrewing them a little.

1010824.jpg

Threads are square deep ones in the tailcap and triangular in the head side. They come clean and with plenty of grease.

1010822.jpg

Size and weight

The Acebeam L30 measures 16,2cm long, 4.8cm wide at the head and 2.8cm wide at the body. Quite compact considering his high output and larger 20700 cell.
It weights 174g without battery and 238g with the supplied 20700 cell

1010832.jpg

1010834.jpg

USB charging

The light has a very fast built-in micro USB charging, it can't charge 2xRCR123, only 1×20700 or 1x18650.
I've measured the charging current at 2.07A, which should charge the included cell in less than two hours and a half. Once the charging ends, the cell was at 4.16v. It may be on the low side but charging the cell to 4.20v only took about 80mAh

1010844.jpg

Unlike other manufacturers, this light doesn't require propietary cells, so you can charge any cell inside.
Please note that the supplied cell it's 74mm long so it won't fit most external chargers

1010818.jpg

The light has a led that will light red when charging and green when finished

1010841.jpg

1010842.jpg

Standby Current

I've measured the standby current at 1022uA, which is high, this ligh must be stored mechanicaly locked or it will drain the supplied cell in less than half a year

UI

Let's talk about the UI
The rear forward button will only run the light on Turbo, it has momentary on function. If you are in low mode an the press the rear switch, it will go to turbo, and when you press again the rear switch it will turn off.
The side swich controls all the modes, and the UI is a well known from Acebeam and Olight users.
From off:
-Long click: moonlight
-Long click for more than 3s: electronic lockout, you'll have to click again for more than 3s to exit lockout mode
-Single click: last used mode with memory. It won't remember both moonlight or turbo modes
-Double click: Turbo
-Triple click: Strobe
From On:
-Single click: Turn Off
-Long click: The light will cycle through modes, it won't start from the lowest mode every time you long click, it will go up from the level you are in that moment
-Double click: Turbo
-Triple click: Strobe

Measurements

I've measured this lumens, current and throw

Lumenscandelas.jpg

Runtimes

The light stepdowns from turbo to high mode when the head reaches 60º. It won't stepdown from high mode as it has enough mass to keep under 60º during the runtime tests. Yes, this light can sustain +1700lm
Turbo mode has two kind of stepdowns, if the light reaches 60º, it will stepdown to High mode (1700lm), but it you cool it down, the stepdown comes at 7 min to 3000lm because of the cell voltage, at 23 min the light shuts down at 3.0v, what a hot rod!

Runtimes.jpg

Beamshots

Foto_28-11-17_15_48_58.jpg

Foto_28-11-17_15_48_58_1.jpg

L30_1000lm.jpg

L16_1000lm.jpg

Animated GIFS

Primero.gif

Segundo.gif

tercero.gif

Extra info

It was a pretty surprise to discover that the cell tube works in my Acebeam L16, and also in a better way than in the L30. The Acebeam L16 has longer springs so any 18650 or 20700 cell will work, even flat top unprotected! If you own a L16, you can get a L30 as a complement, flood vs throw and to add to the L16 the 20700 compatibility.

Conclussion

Pros:

Acebeam has made a very good flashlight here, not only is it the first 20700 cell flashlight in the market, but it also takes advantage of it's extra capacity to offer very great runtimes and high lumens. This light is a step forward to Acebeam, the driver looks very efficient, holding 1000lm for 2:22 or 1700lm for more tan one hour are numbers that looked impossible from a single cell light.
The beam is between flood and throw, making it a very useful flashlight in any situation. Personaly I've been taking this light for my night walks and I think it's a very reliable flashlight

Cons:

-The tint in the 6000k version is very cold, but Acebeam offers a 5000k version which will satisfy to all NW lovers (including me)
-The combination of XHP70.2 and smooth reflector, makes some tint shift in the beam, sides are cooler tan the hotspot, this is because. This tint shift is less noticeable in the NW 5000k version
-I'd like to see an extra mode between moonlight and 200lm, but it's not a deal breaker as this light is intended for outdoor use and mode spacing looks good for the eyes
-Standby current is high, so if you plan to store the flashlight for months you'd better unscrew a little the tailcap

This is how the Acebeam L30 looks in 5000k version

photo_2017-11-28_20-23-56.jpg

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 5k version and like the light overall. One thing I don't like is the USB recharging port offers no water intrusion protection if the rubber plug is not in place. Notice light coming out around the port in the photo.
I also would like to see the 200 lumen low a little lower.
65f3368f6e389e294295f56a9c8edb54.jpg

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I have the 5k version and like the light overall. One thing I don't like is the USB recharging port offers no water intrusion protection if the rubber plug is not in place. Notice light coming out around the port in the photo.
I also would like to see the 200 lumen low a little lower.

Thanks for your reply.

Only one of my USB rechargeable lights has a waterproof usb connector, the Armytek Elf C2, and it's because the USB cover doesn't cover anything at all. I've tested the L30 submerged in wáter and nothing got inside, but the usb cover has to be in it's place

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you for this in-depth review as well as the photos, it's a good looking light.

nevrknow

Newly Enlightened
Nice looking light. I hope this isn't a dumb question but from the pic it looks like the crenulated bezel "slopes" back towards the lens. Is that the case? Stated 48mm dia. A holder I have is 47mm so I'm thinking is it thick enough I could remove 1mm from the crenulated bezel and not affect the strength and have it fit my holder?

Thanks,

John

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Very surprising the difference between L30 and K30, I thought they would have similar beam!

JShort

Newly Enlightened
Love, love, love this flashlight!!!

The L30 is in my opinion the "best of class" for EDCFDW - I just made this class up - Everyday Carry For Dog Walking. While it's way too heavy for EDC, it's not too heavy for my walking shorts pockets and it's very powerful.

I ordered the Acebeam L30 5000k Neutral White version back in late October, 2017.

Pros:
- control ergonomics - instant on "brightest" mode with tailswitch
- click on, triple-click for strobe (great to flash idiot drivers after they've run stop lights, etc.)
- excellent battery life
- beautiful build quality (fit, finish, etc.)
- excellent beam nice balance of hotspot, fill, and throw for my purpose (mostly nighttime dog walking in open fields and tree lined paths and being able to really light up nature when the need arises)

Cons:
- as others have said, I completely concur there should be a level between firefly and low (my only real gripe)
- I'd love a tail stand - maybe someone could 3d print one out of plastic that would snap on to sell to other owners of this and other lights lacking a tail stand
- the rubber USB cover sometimes gets loose, likely because it sticks out so much and I carry this light in a pants pocket

I'm very happy with this light and also the 20700 battery form factor. My brother has a 26650 light which is fatter and heavier than this one, but it has pretty much the same output.

Regards,

Jim