Help with two Surefire E1L and E2L outdoorsman lights... no low?

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I just bought and received a Surefire E1L and E2L, used, from a gentlemen from another forum. I put fresh Surefire 123 batteries in them (3.24V). Everything I can find online says these are dual mode flashlights, with a low and then a high. I can only get the lights to come on with one brightness level, which I assume is high. E1L has a KX1 head. E2L has a KX2 head. Should there be a low mode and high mode, or was there an earlier model that only had one brightness level? Do these heads belong on these lights, or did someone swap them before they got to me?

I have a 200 lumen LX2 Lumamax and a E2L AA Outdoorsman to lego and try other tail caps/heads combinations.

E2_L_E1_L.jpg

back_side.jpg

KX1_KX2_heads.jpg

heads.jpg

tail_caps.jpg

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the original Outdoorsman E2L and it was single mode only, about 80 lumens IIRC.

The serial number on mine started with A422***, so yours appears to be an even earlier one, therefore single mode only.

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX1/2 heads that had a serial number that started with A was the first Cree generation and single mode. The KX1 is 30 lumens and 10 hours runtime, the KX2 is 45 lumens and 14 hours runtime.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
The first 4 generations were single mode. Gen 4 was the first without a domed optic, and as stated above rocked 45 lumens for 9 hours regulated, 14 total. Gen 5 was the first dual mode at 60/3.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I just bought and received a Surefire E1L and E2L, used, from a gentlemen from another forum. I put fresh Surefire 123 batteries in them (3.24V). Everything I can find online says these are dual mode flashlights, with a low and then a high. I can only get the lights to come on with one brightness level, which I assume is high. E1L has a KX1 head. E2L has a KX2 head. Should there be a low mode and high mode, or was there an earlier model that only had one brightness level? Do these heads belong on these lights, or did someone swap them before they got to me?

I have a 200 lumen LX2 Lumamax and a E2L AA Outdoorsman to lego and try other tail caps/heads combinations.

E2_L_E1_L.jpg

back_side.jpg

KX1_KX2_heads.jpg

heads.jpg

tail_caps.jpg

Just want to mention the pic just above showing the switches. The switch on the left is the old switch which is the one which gave trouble. You can contact Surefire to get a replacement like that on the right. My understanding is that they would replace them due to the high failure rate. You might have to tell them its not working.

It also tells me that at least one of those lights are really really old. Also, if you do have the 14 hour cree then you are a lucky man. Many love the long run time of that light.