Looking for Rechargeable Wide Beam Headlamp for Bike Riding. Any Suggestions?

MaxLumenzo

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to gift my stepson a headlamp for bike riding. I'm want something that is lightweight, water resistant, micro-usb rechargeable (built-in battery or 18650), wide beam, multiple brightness levels and can withstand an impact. I feel like a wide beam is a necessity since he'll be riding around and needs his complete field of view illuminated. My budget is around $75 USD. Any suggestions?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Is he riding on dirt trails, roads with cars, or dark paved mixed use paths? Generally you want a different kind of light for each.
I would also rethink a floody beam. The problem with a bike is that you travel much faster than on foot. This makes it much easier to outrun your beam. So something that can throw a beam out is useful. But this also depends on what terrain he is riding on.

MaxLumenzo

Newly Enlightened
Is he riding on dirt trails, roads with cars, or dark paved mixed use paths? Generally you want a different kind of light for each.
I would also rethink a floody beam. The problem with a bike is that you travel much faster than on foot. This makes it much easier to outrun your beam. So something that can throw a beam out is useful. But this also depends on what terrain he is riding on.
He'll be riding mostly on roads with cars.

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the NiteRider Lumina 950 SLS recently for nighttime riding and can say it does a great job throwing a fairly wide beam. Has multiple levels, micro-usb rechargeable, and a good battery life: low is 200 lumens with 5 hours of runtime, medium is 400 lumens for 3 hours, high is 800 lumens for 1.5 hours, and boost mode is 950 lumens for 40 minutes. Comes with a robust mounting clamp/strap to attach to the handlebars - here is a link to their website: https://www.niterider.com/cycling-lights-mtb-road-urban-commuter/
I picked this light up on sale for $80 and it also included a good taillight as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

MaxLumenzo

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the NiteRider Lumina 950 SLS recently for nighttime riding and can say it does a great job throwing a fairly wide beam. Has multiple levels, micro-usb rechargeable, and a good battery life: low is 200 lumens with 5 hours of runtime, medium is 400 lumens for 3 hours, high is 800 lumens for 1.5 hours, and boost mode is 950 lumens for 40 minutes. Comes with a robust mounting clamp/strap to attach to the handlebars - here is a link to their website: https://www.niterider.com/cycling-lights-mtb-road-urban-commuter/
I picked this light up on sale for $80 and it also included a good taillight as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
That seems like a great setup, really like that it includes a taillight. Thanks, Tim