can this light be made?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
a good lux 3 very white beam that runs on 1 aa battery?have around 1000 lux.and 30 minute run time

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Raggie,

E-mail me.

Just kidding. I don't think so, not right now...unless you're talking about using a special collimator, such as those half-round-ball LCOS-type (Liquid-Crystal-On-Silicon like on those new TVs) projector lenses, to create a super thin laser-style beam...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i didnt think so im still confused on the capcity of aa cells compared to 123,s. would be very cool though.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a madmax converter can run on a single aa cell.

i've got an r2h on a madmax+ in my miniminimag. it gets good brightness and runtime on an alk, even more brightness and runtime on a lithium, and extended brightness and decent runtime with a nihm(from what i've heard, i don't personally have any nimhs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

i don't have a lux meter, so i can't measure the lux coming out of the sandwhich, but on a fresh nihm, i've heard (again, don't know personally) that it's almost as bright as a 2aa madmax.

so if you used some sort of acrylic ball optic, instead of the more traditional nx05 or frean, you could probably get over 1000lux, but at the expense of sidespill...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the 3v AA's found in some of those CRV3 photo-lithium batteries?

Granted it wouldn't be a real "AA" but it would have the same form factor and maybe a few 100 mah more than a CR123. Couple that with a MM+ a very deep reflector?

Jon

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
with a decently efficient converter you might be able to run it at 3-4w for half an hour with a 2AH Nimh.
That would pull maybe 4A from the cell so maybe the highest capacity NiMH are not a good idea.

Don't know what you need in regards to optics to reach 1k lux.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AilSnail said:
with a decently efficient converter you might be able to run it at 3-4w for half an hour with a 2AH Nimh.
That would pull maybe 4A from the cell so maybe the highest capacity NiMH are not a good idea.

Don't know what you need in regards to optics to reach 1k lux.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt efficiency at this level existed or will exist at all. When you talk about 4A average, the peak current is close to 20A. Even a "10-milliohm" low R(on) power MOSFET (suppose such a low value is attainable at 1.2V drive voltage) will take off 200mV, which is almost 20% drop in efficiency. Then there is another few milliohms from the inductor, traces, and capacitor ESRs---and suppose you use a synchronous rectifier with ZERO voltage loss---the best best efficiency you can expect is in the range of 60-70%. Then your average and peak current both have to go up further to get the 3-4W output. You will also have to consider the voltage sag under high load---and all these simply require even higher peak current and drop the efficiency more. So practically around 1W is already close to the maximum you can get out of a single 1.2V NiH. If you go for 3V lithium AA, of course you can easily get past 3W mark.