Zebralight, diff between H600Fd and H604d ?

ank

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in getting a headlamp, but they have multiple models, and I don't know what to choose.
I narrowed it down to H600Fd and H604d because of the high CRI. What's the difference between them?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in getting a headlamp, but they have multiple models, and I don't know what to choose.
I narrowed it down to H600Fd and H604d because of the high CRI. What's the difference between them?

The H600Fd uses a reflector and frosted lens to create a nice diffused beam that still has some throw due to it's beam being more concentrated towards the center. It is Zebralight's best all around beam profile imo and is well suited to most tasks from close to far.

The H604d is a pure flood(mule) headlamp with no reflector(just a GITD cup) and a clear lens that creates an almost perfectly even beam but, lacks throw. It is best suited to close to medium range tasks. It is more of a niche headlamp and only great for certain tasks(it excels at reading for instance).

Here is a few videos to show you the beam differences on earlier models courtesy of Stephano...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxfuBUaqzQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPU4-Z5t2h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLtjsF2VBCM

MX421

Enlightened
The H600Fd uses a reflector and frosted lens to create a nice diffused beam that still has some throw due to it's beam being more concentrated towards the center. It is Zebralight's best all around beam profile imo and is well suited to most tasks from close to far.

The H604d is a pure flood(mule) headlamp with no reflector(just a GITD cup) and a clear lens that creates an almost perfectly even beam but, lacks throw. It is best suited to close to medium range tasks. It is more of a niche headlamp and only great for certain tasks(it excels at reading for instance).
Tac's Description is accurate, i would argue te the H604 can be used for all close-up work and not just a niche light. Its great to have a swath of light in front of you.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tac's Description is accurate, i would argue te the H604 can be used for all close-up work and not just a niche light. Its great to have a swath of light in front of you.

I meant that it is a niche light because it is only really good for close range tasks. That is it's "niche". It has limited throw and kind of casts a dark spot in the center if you try and use it for longer range stuff so, it is not great as an all around outdoor light imo. It works great for indoors or as a close range work light outdoors however.

ank

Newly Enlightened
How limited is the throw? 10 meters, 20 meters?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
How limited is the throw? 10 meters, 20 meters?
You can get a pretty good idea from the videos I posted. It is fairly limited and requires that you use a very high mode to try and gain throw by brute force which shreds battery life. It also lights the area up directly in front of you and to the sides more and more the brighter you turn it which kind of causes glare to further exacerbate the problem. When you look into the distance it kind of gives the impression of the opposite of a normal beam, it is dark in the center and gets brighter and brighter towards the sharp edge of the spill.

The mule Zebralight's like the H604 series are really best for close to medium range at most.

The frosted lens "F" models are much better all purpose headlamps imo. They are still great for close up tasks but also throw quite far and have a much smoother transition from spill to darkness so they give less of a tunnel vision effect.

If you are only going to buy one headlamp, of ZL's three types, the "F" would definitely be my recommendation especially if you plan to use it outdoors as well.

If you do a lot of reading and plan to mainly use your headlamp indoors for close range tasks, then the mule is a good choice.

Personally, I own both types so I can pick the best one for the task but, that is the priciest albeit best option:).