A good pocket sized flashlight for all-day use

Dakota14

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I need to get a flashlight that I last all day 8 hours at least that's reliable durable and can be carried in a pocket so has a clip. I'd like it if I could get one that after 3 or 4 minutes of constant use it doesn't get really hot to the touch which I've noticed is a problem with some. I would like to spend less than 40 bucks it would like to be able to buy in a brick-and-mortar store if possible all suggestions are welcome

Lumen83

Enlightened
Hey everyone I need to get a flashlight that I last all day 8 hours at least that's reliable durable and can be carried in a pocket so has a clip. I'd like it if I could get one that after 3 or 4 minutes of constant use it doesn't get really hot to the touch which I've noticed is a problem with some. I would like to spend less than 40 bucks it would like to be able to buy in a brick-and-mortar store if possible all suggestions are welcome

The quark mini is my current pocket light of choice. Fits the bill for your needs too. I'm gonna buy another. Or two.

Dakota14

Newly Enlightened
Usuall under a minute each time but there are times up to ten minutes. And for a total of probably 3 hours a day in an 8hr day.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bump up my budget and start looking at the new Zebralight SC64 models. I think.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the problem here is your reference of getting "hot to the touch" which means it is cranking out some serious lumens, probably a lot more lumens than is possible for 8 hours from a "pocket" flashlight bought locally as about the only battery format pocket light possible for that level of lumens for that long of a period is 18650 based. C/D cells could probably manage but aren't pocketable and 4AA isn't IMO a pocket type light that leaves 3-4AAA or 2AA and even those are bulky in a pocket at times. I've looked for an 8 hour day light solution and in local stores no pocket light exists that fits my level of lumens desire which is about 35-50+ lumens for 8-12 hours you can find that range online in some models that just aren't sold in local stores unless you happen to have a distributor in town we have a Fenix distributor here locally.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A mini-mag 2xAAA fits in a shirt pocket like an inkpen. A Maglite Solitaire LED disappears in a trouser pocket and the clip from the 2xAAA fits it. Both available at big box hardware stores and WalMart.
(I use a $2 Streamlight microstream clip on mine)

About $25 for both, which leaves you $25 to buy some triple A eneloops and a charger.

Wicho

Enlightened
Streamlight 1L-1AA with either an eneloop pro or lithium AA. $29.80 on Amazon right now, I've seen them at gun shops before too. I love mine.

Keitho

Enlightened
Assuming you mean 8 hours runtime without swapping batteries...For 8 hrs runtime that fits in a pocket, 18650 rechargeable cells have to be high on the list. Their power:weight/volume is about as good as it gets for consumer devices. For 1x18650, the smallest and most efficient I know of is the Zebralight SC63 or SC64, which will give you very long runtimes for the ~360 lumen level (over 4 hrs) and 160 lumen level (12 hrs). The SC64 is more configurable, allowing you to set your chosen power/runtime as the first mode (or only mode).

Not brick and mortar, and over your budget by $39, but a use case like you describe is relatively specialized, and might warrant considering a larger investment. That is especially true if the "reliable and durable" part of the OP is truly important. Best of luck!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight 1L-1AA with either an eneloop pro or lithium AA. $29.80 on Amazon right now, I've seen them at gun shops before too. I love mine.

Good call.

Their new dual fuel one is nice.
Ten tap allows it to start at the 40 lumen low regardless of fuel choice. 4.5 hours on high on a 1AA lithium too. And... it'll run off a 123 for like 2x the brightness or in worse cases it can run off a triple A.

Their ProTac 1aaa is pretty good too.

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Klarus P20. Runtime 34min/230lumins, 15hours/60lumins, 193hours/4 lumins. High CRI floody beam. It is 2xAAA. It has pocket clip. Also has mode memory. Very high built quality. Costs around$29.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 1L-1AA was my first thought as well - great light! Can be set to come on in 40 lumen low mode first which should give you enough run time with a Eneloop pro or a ultimate lithium AA, with 150 lumens a click away if it's needed. The 1L-!AA is about as big of a light that I would carry pocket clipped, anything bigger gets carried in a belt pouch or in a coat or cargo pocket.

The 2AAA Mini Mag LED Bykfixer suggested is good for shirt pocket carry if purchase form a brick and mortar is a must, only 1 mode on this one, I think around 100 lumens which may be higher than needed for up close.

Wicho

Enlightened
I agree with your comment on Amazon if purchased from a third party seller. Sold by Amazon directly I've never had a problem with.

I just had some I bought arrive yesterday (sold by Amazon) and no problem. Original Streamlight. Same with the ones I bought December 2016.

$29.80 is sold by Amazon.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
I agree with your comment on Amazon if purchased from a third party seller. Sold by Amazon directly I've never had a problem with.

I just had some I bought arrive yesterday (sold by Amazon) and no problem. Original Streamlight. Same with the ones I bought December 2016.

$29.80 is sold by Amazon.

Read the thread. It's says the bad lights came from Amazon, not third party vendors. It's been awhile so they've probably got their act together by now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
BrightGuy and Optics Planet are the real deal and only get their lights from Streamlight.

I stopped buying lights from Amazon a while ago since it's become like eBay.... a roll of the dice whether you obtain real or fake.