• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired (Cancelled SORRY)FOR SALE 25 CUSTOM MEGA MAG MOD

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
SORRY GUYS I HAVE TO CANCEL THIS DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST.
YAESUMOFO

There has of late been a fair amount of chatter about this type of mod. I have been building a few these up for a while now and have decided to make a few for the masses.
Here is the Mega Mag Mod
This mod will include:
LUX III emitter.
Hotlips from Hotbeam.
UCL from Flashlightlens.com
Mag reflector cut to perfection.

All skillfully installed inside a (BLACK) mag 3 C body.
This Project is inspired by the famous MR BULK Space Needle II Light. (thanks Charlie you da man)
There are a few differences though.
This is a LUX III emitter. Not a V.
This light will be directly driven with 3 C cells not 123a's.
It will be built by me in California not Charlie in Hawaii.
The beam on this light is tight. It is a real light saber type of beam with the usual fine Mag reflector side spill.
The beam from the MEGA MAG MOD reminds me of a mini LIGHT SUN that the police shine from helicopters.

I would like to know if there is any interest in this light. It will cost $100.00 delivered via priority mail anywhere in the USA. International delivery will be more.
The delivery ETA is approximately 30 days from the as yet to be determined "go" date.

I am not going to make less than 25 of these nor will I make more on the first run.
I know the burning question that some of you have. What bin are the emitters. Good question. I do not have the answer. I have heard it said that that there are no "bad" lux III's.

The bottom line with the MEGA MAG MOD is that it is not about the BIN it is about the overall flashlight. I will say that these lights will be BRIGHT and will be tested against a TWAK unit that will serve as the standard. Any emitter not measuring up in my test for brightness will not be used. That is the best I can do.

Anybody want one?

Yaesumofo

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Re: MEGA MAG MOD

I will take one too, please put me on the list when you start it.

François.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow I had no idea people would be interested in these.
Once you sell out maybe I will make some :p (like I have the time)
Mine is pretty bright with only an SX1J, lots of runtime on 3C's. (exact same mod as you mentioned). Great light for those who have not sceen it!

1 Q for ya, are you going to sputter the reflectors to smooth out the beam I could not cope with the standard reflector beams.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
1 Q for ya, are you going to sputter the reflectors to smooth out the beam I could not cope with the standard reflector beams.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sputtering is not something I familar with.
I am sure it would add several steps to my process and I had not planned on it. I probably could do it though I doubt I will. I like the super sharp light saber type beam. What would the sputter actually do?
I am going to have the HOTLIPS made with a special groove for a super Clean LUMINESCENT (green or blue) ring around the emitter.
Oh and by the way in terms of interest I am not sure that there is much I will see over the next couple of days.
Yaesumofo

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hey yaesumofo, if you don't mind me asking, could you please elaborate on the groove with the luminescant ring around the emitter?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
yaesumofo said:
I am going to have the HOTLIPS made with a special groove for a super Clean LUMINESCENT (green or blue) ring around the emitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might I add that with a LuxIII the groove that you are planning on making & filling with glow pigment might not glow very well IMO. I've got glow powder around the emitter pedastal (on a hotlips) and with a LuxIII the after glow isn't very bright with just the light coming from the emitter, especially if using blue glow pigment. Filling in the groove that you mentioned would place the glow pigment lower than what I have it at. I believe the glow pigment should be higher up closer to the top of the emitter for a LuxIII to glow intensly. Works fine with a 5W on a hotlips though.

Just letting you know my experiences. You might wan't to try it first before doing it to all 25 of them.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
hey yaesumofo, if you don't mind me asking, could you please elaborate on the groove with the luminescant ring around the emitter?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen some pictures on CPF of this ring around the emitter glowing effict. I really think this is cool so I tried it myself.
Well after several unsucessful tries to create a nice clean luminous ring around the emitter I decided that the effect would be much easier to acheive if there was a grove cut into the pedistal itself. Making it a lot easier to put some epoxy with some Strontium Aluminate mixed in with it, to create a cool glowing ring around the emitter.
The groove will be 1.8mm x .5mm. I haven't tried this approach firsthand yet. But I am hopful that it will work. If it dosen't it dosen't. Nothing lost except the extra time required to cut the groove.

If you have ideas or experience in this area I would love to be able to benifit from your knowledge.
Yaesumofo

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

not sure what equipment you have...

you could just chuck a hotlips into a lathe, and do it that way, pretty easy...

some light will be redirected down onto the gp from the reflector, lens, etc. it might not be as bright as other things, but if you turn the light off and drop it, it should certainly help locate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Interested--please add me to the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you sputter the lense perfectly it still throws a sharp beam but it removes the artifacts aparent in the stock mag reflectors.

ledlurker

Enlightened

I have built a dozen or so for the LEO's in my area using various T bins. The only difference is I use a heat sink that can sit back farther into the Mag 3c barrel and allow the head more threads of engagement and the stock lens and a resistor to keep the current under 1.3 amps. I had a 30 day money back guarantee as long as the Led and not been physically abused (like poking it with your finger with the head off). I had no takers on returns. My only problem is my machinist source dried up and I can no longer get the heatsinks for $3 apiece.

I have had feedback from the LEO's that some have done some "accidental" impact testing on vehicles, concrete and the like and they keep on ticking.