The new Coast HX3 and HX4 2AAA side-by-side adjustable-angle cllip lights - nice!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just dropped by the Coast website to see if they had anything new in their line up and saw these very unique lights using COB LEDs and multi color outputs with side-by-side 2AAA format and a 180 degree rotating head and a magnet.

This is the first light I've seen with this style of rotating head, but there may be others that I don't know about.

The lights come with 2, 3 or 4 color LEDs in 1 light and the choices are White with UV, Red, Blue and/or Green.

I only found 1 brief review and couldn't find anyplace online to buy them.

The Coast website says coming soon.

The Coast pricing is $20 for the White/UV model and $18 for the White/Red/Blue/Green, which usually means that they'll be available at retailers for 20% to 50% less.

As usual, no description of the user interface on the coast website, but the one video review on youtube appeared to require cycling through all colors to turn the light off, which I really don't like, but I do really like the form factor of these lights.

It appears to have only one power level, which is listed at 80 lumens, but the listed beam distance is only 42 ft, so it must be very floody.

Now I just need to find someplace to buy it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, those do look interesting. One thing though, when I was checking out the Coast Website, they were both listed as "Dual-Color", with the HX3 being white/UV and the HX4 being white/red. Did I miss something? I did see a bit further down a Quad-Color fixed beam light that uses 3xAAA, the TX10.

In any case, I'll look forward to your review : )

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to Coast today and they are expecting the HX3 and HX4 to be available sometime in January.

Also confirmed that the UV in the HX3 will be 400nm, like the PX100.

Also said that it looks like you will have to cycle through both colors to turn the light off.

mrsaturn7085

Newly Enlightened
To answer a few of the questions here:

This project was originally inspired by a local request from a police dept. that took interest in a hands-free light that would be compatible with MOLLE webbing as well as epaulets on duty uniform. 400 (395-405, technically) nm was selected for general purpose UV - I only look at lower wavelengths when I'm targeting something specific (Scorpion detection, automotive tracer dyes, etc.). The secondary red color model was added far later in the design for other markets.

The lighting element is a custom dual spectrum COB rather than an off-the-shelf part- is it extremely floody by design, but also manages a great run-time by avoiding a high output single-die LED.

The switch was made intentionally very large so a gloved hand could slap it and turn it on without having to find it on a vest. The battery closure knob was originally flush with the base to allow free-standing, but unfortunately this led to difficulty in opening the battery compartment with a gloved hand - can't have everything!

The light modes need to be cycled through in order and this simple cycle-through operation was a requirement from the start. Understandably, not everyone prefers this... but the sad truth is that even a basic 'hold-to-cycle color' function is easily forgotten (making the light essentially a white-only light to the end-user) and added switches/complexity = increased cost, more parts to break, etc.

The clip has 4 small rare-earth magnets to keep a low-profile but still have reasonable magnetic strength on a flat surface. There is a small non-slip pad centered between the 4 magnets.

They should be out soon and they make for an awesome task light!

Last edited by a moderator: