Zebralight SC5c MKII battery level indicator kinda all over the place. Normal?

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
Like the title.

I have a bunch of ZL's, and I definitely get that sometimes the four click battery level check can vary based on a few factors, like voltage rebound, temp, etc. but my SC5c seems a bit more erratic. Last night after coming out of my pocket I get one flash. This morning after use last night I get two or three. I'm using the Amazon Basics Japanese 2400 mAh AA's.

It's not a big deal, but would like to know others' experience with this AA light.

ven

Flashaholic
Not used the bat check that much, but when I have , I have not noticed any irregularities . Just tested now and 4 flashes, will use it a bit and test again. Maybe the contacts could do with a little clean with a Q tip and alcohol.....just a thought.

ven

Flashaholic
That was with the same light as you, just tried it on an sc53w and that gave 1 blink, bat V reads 1.34. So on charge(does not seem right) will check again when full.

ven

Flashaholic
Used same pro loop from sc5c mkII(got 4 blinks just now ) in the sc53w, got 3 blinks....:laughing:

markr6

Flashaholic
I think it's just the nature of NiMH vs Li-Ion. The NiMH batteries have a harder time "telling" the light what to report since it's just not as obvious as Li-Ion where you can pretty much peg the remaining capacity down accurately by looking at the voltage alone. With these NiMH you may get 4 flashes, use it on high for a minute, then get 2 flashes. Then unscrew the cap, re-tighten, back up to 4 flashes.

It's better than nothing, but not something to count on.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the consensus looks like there isn't much of one. Everything else, like the 3 minute drop, and low battery drops seems to work normally so I think I'm good...

I think it's just the nature of NiMH vs Li-Ion. The NiMH batteries have a harder time "telling" the light what to report since it's just not as obvious as Li-Ion where you can pretty much peg the remaining capacity down accurately by looking at the voltage alone. With these NiMH you may get 4 flashes, use it on high for a minute, then get 2 flashes. Then unscrew the cap, re-tighten, back up to 4 flashes.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
With these NiMH you may get 4 flashes, use it on high for a minute, then get 2 flashes. Then unscrew the cap, re-tighten, back up to 4 flashes.

This has been my experience as well. H53c.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, NiMH is just harder to predict capacity using voltage. The battery indicator is just meant as a rough guide and works much better with Lithium ion. It still is quite useful though. I find if you just use it only after the battery has rested(before you have used the light) it works best. That way voltage sag isn't effecting it.