My Obsession with Flashlights (one of my Blog posts)

ericjohn

Enlightened
Ever since I've known myself, I have always been drawn to flashlights…I don't know if it is a family gene that made me obsessed with them, as there are some family members of mine who also like flashlights (though not to the degree that I do.) Or could it be that I was shown a flashlight at a very young age <1 year old, thought it was cool and became obsessed with them that way? Maybe it is a combination of the two.

I was given my very own flashlight for Christmas of 1988, Playskool 2C Lantern, at the age of one going on two. I had it until I was five going on six and it was replaced with a new flashlight, an Eveready 2D Halogen for Christmas of 1992.

Then at the age of seven, I was given another flashlight, an Eveready IN-215, as a reward for doing well on a television interview and had it until the bulb burned out.

At the age of nine is when the obsession started, though it didn't get really bad until ages eleven and twelve. I, however, kept the obsession a secret because I was already harassed a lot in school and thought that if my peers knew of my flashlight obsession, it would be more for them to harass me about. I would sometimes keep a flashlight in my pants pocket at school and, yes, if other students saw it in my pocket, they would indeed harass me. Another time, in October of 1998 I was looking for the school librarian and the lights were off in the library, so I turned on my flashlight, a Garrity Mini Rugged Lite, to navigate the room. I was harshly mocked by a fellow classmate for doing so. By only the Grace of God did he not tattle on me for having the flashlight. Students and teachers at this school were unusually hateful. Also in October of 1998, I got my first Maglite, which ran on 4 D batteries. I had it until sometime in the late summer or early fall of 2003. I remember one time in May of 1999, there was a power outage during while the teacher was teaching ratio, proportion, and percent, and I had an Eveready penlight that I ever so discreetly lit up my work with. What shocked me is that it didn't get confiscated.

Around age thirteen or fourteen, I got away from flashlights and focused more on video games and later communications equipment.

Then at the age of sixteen (2003), a new main library was erected in the Parish adjacent to mine. I was a frequent patron at that library since I also attended high school in that Parish. For those of you who don't know, a Parish is to Louisiana what a County or Borough is to the rest of the USA. Anyway, I saw a display of flashlights both vintage and current on display at that library. This was a catalyst in reigniting my interest in flashlights since I realized that there might be others who are obsessed with flashlights as well as me. It was that combined with I was starting to give fewer and fewer damns about what people thought of me and realized if someone was going to harass me because I like flashlights, then I don't need them in my life anyway.

At this time, Energizer had some awesome flashlights on the market that I wish the said company would have never discontinued. I did by my first LED flashlight, which I still have, an Energizer Super Charge.

Gradually my obsession with flashlights was returning to me.

At age seventeen, when I got my first ear infection, I briefly began carrying a flashlight in my pocket again, but for whatever reason, didn't continue with it. I don't know if this was because it simply was a cheap Lumilite Industrial 2 AA flashlight I got at Wal Mart or if there were other reasons. I wish I would have continued carrying it.

In the summer of 2004, I had nothing better to do, so I would look at various flashlight websites for hours on end.

Later, in November of 2004, when I was seventeen going on eighteen, I purchased a cheap Ozark Trail six volt lantern and kept it in my EDC bag.

Then at the age of eighteen, I had developed an interest in knives. However on one Sunday, May 1, 2005, I was browsing around at a Wal Mart located way down the Bayou from me and I had seen some Garrity Metal LED flashlights. They appeared to be "tactical" or "police style" and sold for less than $15, so I gathered as much cash as I could, then purchased one on May 5, 2005, and had carried a flashlight on my person, almost constantly ever since. The surprising part in all of this is that the people who found out that I carried a flashlight thought it was cool and some of them also bought flashlights. Of course, Operation Iraqi Freedom was at its peak and tactical gear was beginning to become quite popular with the general public. Maybe peoples' opinions on flashlights changed because of this.

I remember receiving kudos from administrators, teachers, and students when there was a power failure at school and I had my trusty flashlight on me.

One teacher, God rest his soul, referred to me as "Eric the Helpful."

An administrator told me how I must have been in the Boy Scouts as a child, which believe it or not, I never was.

Another teacher, God rest her soul too, was even pleased with me helping out because the power outage, though I was initially paranoid that she would confiscate my flashlight.

Later that month, I purchased a Garrity Bi-Pin Xenon flashlight, which was quite similar to a Mini Maglite. Garrity was making some cool flashlights during that time period, much cooler than what they make nowadays (2017.)

From 2006 to 2009 I was obsessed with both flashlights and knives/multi-tools.

Then sometime in 2010, my interest shifted more towards just flashlights, though I still buy knives and multi-tools every now and then.

In 2011, my train/railroad interest had gotten stronger but was still obsessed with flashlights. In fact, in 2011 I joined the online flashlight community Candle Power Forums, where I could fellowship with other flashlight lovers.

From 2012 onward, I began to be recognized by my peers as having extensive knowledge on flashlights. Many consult with me when they have any questions pertaining to flashlights. They also encourage me in this interest and always seem to be sending me pictures of them. I greatly appreciate this and I want to say it sure is awesome to be remembered. However, no one seems to harass me about my flashlight obsession anymore. I guess because those that did indeed harass no longer interact with me at all.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Eric John, I am sorry you got bullied ("harassed") in school, and outraged the teachers and administrators did nothing to stop it.

You're a great person, such a good soul, and of course I'd share any of my flashlights with you any day. If you're ever in Pennsylvania, let me know.

Keep spreading the light!

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Great post. I could relate a lot given my obsession started when I was a kid too and I'm only several years older than you. While I wasn't bullied at school, your story reminded me of a very negative experience I once had when I was living in Australia. I had bought a small lighter-sized rubberized flashlight at a corner store. It was black and worked when you squeezed the grip. It was only a few dollars so it was something I could afford even as a kid in elementary school. Sometime shortly after, my friend, my brother, and I were at a park near my home just after sunset. Excited about the new flashlight, I used it after playing on the swings and with it, noticed some spilled matches under a bench. We were all looking at the matches when a woman came over and grabbed me and yelled at us, saying that we were trying to light the bench on fire. She then hysterically claimed my flashlight was a lighter. I replied politely that it was in fact a flashlight and showed it to her and demonstrated how it worked. She ignored it completely and scolded all of us for carrying lighters and trying to burn things. I replied again that it was a flashlight and that we found the matches on the ground. I proved that we weren't lighting the matches as none were burned. I explained that the light she saw was my flashlight, not the matches or a lighter. She kept insisting that my flashlight was a lighter even after handling it herself. After failed attempts at convincing her it was a flashlight despite operating the light under my thumb and making it glow red, it became evident that she was unwilling to admit she was wrong and was going on a power-trip over us kids. I'm not sure if it was my American accent but this woman seemed hellbent on vilifying us, threatening to call the cops and have us arrested. Polite explanations of facts didn't seem to work with her. When she continued to threaten calling the cops and reporting us to our school, I told her we needed to go home. After what seemed like 15 minutes total of her berating us, we went home. I told my mom who was quite upset at the whole matter. However, she wasn't mad at us because she's not a moron and can tell a flashlight from a lighter. She even knew of my new flashlight I had bought a short time before. Worried about school, she called my homeroom teacher and discussed the matter. My teacher laughed at the stupidity of the woman and I recall my teacher later telling me and my friend at school that we did nothing wrong.
So yeah, there are stupid people out there who think flashlights are dangerous, ominous, uncool, or in my case, a lighter. You just have to deal with them as they come and just do your thing. The next time someone tries to tell me my flashlight is a lighter, they'll get a demonstration in the form of strobe mode in their face. No politeness this time.
:devil: