WTB: Surefire E2E or L4?

DimBeam

Enlightened
I am torn between buying a Surefire E2E or L4. My primary use is for taking walks at night. Am I right in assuming that the E2E has a longer throw and narrower beam which would be good for night? Appreciate any advice..........Thanks

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I'd like to recommend that you also consider the A2 with white LED's. It gives you a low level flood with the LED's, and throw with good definition with the regulated incandescent bulb.

The low level flood is best in situations where there isn't backround lighting (street lights for instance). It is great for camping, fishing and hiking in the woods. Doesn't totally destroy your night vision either.

The regulated incandescent bulb doesn't dim, over the life of the batteries, like the MN03 in the E2E. It gives you the throw and definition of incandescents, lighting the shadowy areas in an area with backround lights.

In the end, a lot depends on your enviornment and personal preferences. When I start walking again in the spring, I will be using two lights. Both will be using rechargeable batteries. One is the KL5 on a 9P with three A19's and a F68 traffic cone, running on four AA NiMH batteries. The other is the rechargeable 8AX. I will be walking in a residential area with street lights, moderate traffic, and no sidewalks. I will also have a small backup or two in my pockets. My primary concern is low operating cost.

oldgrandpajack

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
I'm with oldgrandpajack, where my primary concern is low operating cost. I walk my dog late at night and my primary light is the tigerlight (yeh, I know it's a little big, but hey I'm just walking). Once you get a rechargeable, the operating cost is nil. I also have my EDC with me too (L4) and use it when I don't want to draw any attention to myself and to admire this little powerhouse. Another thing to consider is that the bulb in the E2E has a lot shorter life, whereas the L4 will probably last a lifetime. You can also get the E2E and later get the KL4 head for it. Just get what appeals to you more now because you'll eventually have them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif