Trouble Cleaning LED Flaslight Switch ?

electrotec

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a 1 AA LED flashlight which has been damaged by a leaky battery and I've tried cleaning it but it still does not work well.
If you keep pressing the on/off switch approximately 10 to 15 times it turns on which is very frustrating.

Anyone know how to clean a corroded flashlight pushbutton switch ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you can get it apart depending on the damage sometimes a red pencil eraser works other times you may need sandpaper or an emery board (fingernail). Most likely the switch contacts were plated and the chemicals in the battery damaged the plating so even if you manage to clean it well it will still fail in the future. One thing to try to prevent oxidation of the metal contacts is some sort of lubricant or grease to coat the contacts but sometimes this just captures dirt and builds up a layer of it instead of oxidation. My advice is to find a new switch. Some would recommend something like Deoxit, I've never tried the stuff myself so I cannot attest to its performance.

Fliz

Newly Enlightened
Could you post a model and maker info? Not sure about 5+ years old flashlights but most switches in modern lights are similar and it is easy to get replacement if needed, If you could disasemble it and take a photo would be easier to give you more precise info.

Also I heard that acid residue from alkaline (non rechargeable) AA batteries can be "removed" with vinegar, it sounds logical since vinegar is also an acid but I never tried this and I am not sure I would when it is so easy to get new replacement switch. If it is old and not that common type of switches, ie. you can't find replacement that easy, I would try what Lynx Arc suggested, disassembling and cleaning.

Cheers

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Could you post a model and maker info? Not sure about 5+ years old flashlights but most switches in modern lights are similar and it is easy to get replacement if needed, If you could disasemble it and take a photo would be easier to give you more precise info.

Also I heard that acid residue from alkaline (non rechargeable) AA batteries can be "removed" with vinegar, it sounds logical since vinegar is also an acid but I never tried this and I am not sure I would when it is so easy to get new replacement switch. If it is old and not that common type of switches, ie. you can't find replacement that easy, I would try what Lynx Arc suggested, disassembling and cleaning.

Cheers
Vinegar works but you "need" to remove the excess vinegar after you are done typically using water then finishing with alcohol to help absorb the excess water. You could use lemon juice also as it is a mild acid too.