X7 olight marauder

lupacexi

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys . got me a new olight and am having issues with it .. Charged the included battery's . installed them , tested the light .. Great light but the battery's die after a week or two of sitting dormant in the light .. Went to grab it for a quick peek in the backyard and it was dead .. Grabbed the it javelot and it still had power .. What gives ? Any ideas why it dies off and not the other olight ?

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wating to score a X7-M to upgrade my Nitecore TM28.
The TM28 suffers that same issue. The "smart standby" switch on these high powered lights actually draw quite a bit of current from the batteries, enough so to drain the 4*18650's in a week or less. Not an issue with regular clicky switches that do not have a standby mode and cut power entirely.
My solution on the TM28 is to just "crack" the battery pack by unscrewing it enough so the light does not power on with the button, creating a sort of manual lock-out, but the TM28 pack unscrews in the middle of the light where the the X7-M has the tail that unscrews so I am not sure if this would be a viable or convenient solution for the X7-M, beyond adding a step of tightening the battery pack before switching on, but a step that will allow the batteries to be ready for action months down the road.
Beyond the battery drain of the button, I was not comfortable leaving the TM28 in a standby mode since if accidentally turned on in its sheath with the power and heat it puts out, the potential is there (albeit slim) to start a fire! Probably not so much of an issue with the X7-M since it has a proximity sensor that will step down the output when an object is right in front of it but something to be aware of with the power it has!
Good luck and let us know if this works for you.

Last edited:

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
According to the user manual, it should manage night mode for 30 days continuously before the batteries are drained. I haven't tried this, but when the manual claims this I think we can assume it's not entirely off target.

I use mine every evening in 1000 lumens mode (and switching to 3000 lumens occasionally) when walking the dog in my back yard, and I charge the batteries every fourteenth day, and even then they are not fully drained. It seems that there might be a problem with either your X7, the batteries or the charger.

I had some problems initially with uneven draining of the batteries, and the X7 wouldn't go into Turbo S mode. After some googling I found it was advised to clean the metal contact points in the battery compartment and on the batteries, and after I did that the X7 has been a reliable companion.