Surefire E Series Lego-ability

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I know there are a few other threads about this topic, and I did do a search; however, I couldn't find a straight and thorough answer, and I'm hoping for more information.

I know that many Surefire lights have interchangeable parts, and I know it is very common to swap various parts to customize lights to a specific need.

I have a Surefire EB1 Backup with the clicky switch, and I have a Surefire E1D Defender on the way. I know the switches are not interchangeable because of the longer EB1 switch, but I would like to swap the heads. I want the knurling of the E1D body with the non-crenelated head of the EB1. I also want the ability to put a Z68 tail cap on the light. Is this possible? Are the threads the same size on the bodies and heads, or will I risk ruining them? Will the lights function properly if I do this or will there be a mismatch in electronics that could damage the lights? Will the water resistance rating remain? Also, if I broke a clip on the E1D body, with the clip from the EB1 work as a replacement?

I am also wondering about the compatibility with parts for the Scout Lights. Can I put a Scout Light switch on the E1D body (specifically the one with the clicky and the plug for the pressure switch)? This next question is more for experimentation and fun, but if I wanted to, could I put the head of a Scout Light on the body of the E1D or EB1?

I apologize for all of the questions, and I really appreciate your help! I have been resistant to Surefire because of the price factor, but if I can do all of the Lego-ing that I want to do, I think this will open up a whole new world!

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great questions.
Has anyone come right out and put things so succinctly?
I don't think so. If you read a myriad of pages you'll randomly find answers to all of your questions but...

Perhaps this thread can morph into a sorta Lego map of the E series.
Archi, if that already exists please guide us to such a thread because I'm wondering the same thing.

I have an E1, and a few E2d's or e's. I also have a couple of EB1c's.
My EB1c head works on the E1 and vice versa. Tailcaps don't swap between the E1 and EB1c.

Perhaps others can pop in and help write the map. ie, no words about regulation vs non and this or that sucks type of verbage, but pure "what works/what don't"

archimedes

Flashaholic
SF has not been consistent with terminology over the years, and appears to have more recently and progressively been moving away from "modular" concepts ... :sigh:

And yes it's very sad that many historical photos containing absolutely invaluable information are now missing and lost ... :candle:

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
The 2 way clips on the e1d and eb1 are the same thing, I've changed quite a few sf clips lol. You can call sf cs to get replacement clips, just got some the other day actually.

The eb1/2 series has the same head threads on body but different tail threads from the rest of the e series.

Yes you can do eb1 head/e1d body/z68 tail. Heres a pic
CAvFMik.jpg

Careful or you'll end up like me with too much backup lol
U7ep71j.jpg

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory sells replacement tail caps for the original semi-gloss E-series lights, both twist-tactical and McClicky, as well as both in HA3 Black and HA3 Neutral. They also sell a series of replacement emitters for both LED and incandescent versions of the various E-series light.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info! I got the E1D in the mail and promptly switched all the parts except the z68, which I haven't purchased yet. So far so good!

Does anyone have any experience with lego-ing scout lights with E series?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can purchase parts without buying a whole new light? I thought I might just try the combos I am wondering about, mainly the head of a scout light that will work with a single cell E series, and then the scout tail cap that has both the clicky and the port for a pressure switch.

Surefire sells the switch, but is almost as much as a new light! And the replacement head that is sold by Surefire says it is only compatible with 2 cell lights...and it is also more than a new complete EB1 or E1D...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
My compatibilty question is about non surefire to surefire

First let me say that i do not own any surefire lights tho i have watched many in the sales threads over the last few years.

I have a mcgizmo haiku, are haiku e series compatible? And aleph parts? Also are aleph parts made by mcgizmo?

Ive looked longingly at the rpm copper e series parts but dont know enuf to drop the hammer and start ordering because of my ignorance with compatibilty

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I have a mcgizmo haiku, are haiku e series compatible? And aleph parts? Also are aleph parts made by mcgizmo? ....

Yes, yes, and yes.

To add a little bit more specificity, they are all (nominally) "thread-compatible" . It is up to you to ensure that voltage, current, and the like are within safe limits. Occasionally, due to manufacturing variances and tolerances, there may be contact issues and/or difficulties threading a particular combination of parts.

Aleph parts, more accurately speaking, were made by McGizmo. They are all long since out of production.

Last edited:

StagMoose

Enlightened
Had a m300 scout (KE1H) head and tried it on my edcl1-t (KE1G). The H head doesn't really have a low mode. Has bright and slightly brighter. Also made a high pitched sound and there was PWM. G head works on scout body.
favorite combo right now is LX2 Lumamax with the KE1G head and a 16650. Perfect 5 lumenish low and bright high with good run time.

edcl1-t and LX2 can't swap tails as the LX2 is larger in diameter.

I need a Malkoff E2 Super Scout head!