Field Use Review of the Rofis R1

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
For submission in the Reviews forum.

Introduction

This review will be my first flashlight review on CPF. Given the number of excellent reviewers with technical data, I've decided to take a different approach to reviewing flashlights. As an outdoors enthusiast, I've decided to review the Rofis R1 during multiple night hikes in the form of a field carry review. The review is the culmination of over a month of use on various night hikes, trips, and uses. Hence, the review will focus less on objective data, measurements, and production details and more on field usage impressions and empirical data from field carry and practical applications of the flashlight. Given this is my first review, I appreciate any feedback you may have given my review or this style of review.

Full Disclosure: I was provided with the Rofis R1 by Rofis at no cost in agreement to post a review with no other conditions. Other than this arrangement and a previous purchase of a Rofis TR10, I have no relationship with Rofis or any Rofis dealers.

What's in the Box
The Rofis R1 comes with a generous package that includes a headband, a proprietary USB charging cable, a padded wrist strap, spare O-rings, a Rofis 16340 Li-ion battery, a clip, a warranty card, and an owner's manual.
The package is a complete set and will allow the user to take full advantage of the R1's capabilities with no additional accessories needed. The remarkable inclusions are the headband and the proprietary USB charging cable that features a magnet to connect to the R1. More on these later.
FndO7nv

FndO7nv.jpg
FndO7nv

The Design
The Rofis R1 is a flashlight that is powered by a single CR123A lithium battery or a similarly-sized 16340 Lithium-ion battery which is included with the Rofis R1. In this regard, the flashlight is a compact flashlight about the length of an adult male finger. The most notable design feature of the R1 is the rotating head. The head rotates to the left to allow usage in multiple head angle positions. This is a rather unique feature among flashlights of this size and appears to be Rofis' specialty given their line-up of flashlights with this rotating head.
46t9xxL.jpg

btA4qMV.jpg

The rotating head design among previous Rofis models appears to have been reworked by Rofis for the R1 as it features a new design which Rofis refers to as a "non-acute angle design". While the terminology puzzled me at first, I later realized that the "non-acute design" essentially meant the R1 had no sharp edges, especially when the head was rotated. This allows for safer handling and usage, especially if the flashlight is mounted overhead by its magnetic tail. However, the removal of the edges caused the R1 to have gaps in its body profile when straight, unlike the previous TR10 which featured a flush straight body but with sharper edges when the head was rotated. In the picture below, the R1 (left) is pictured next to the TR10 (right).
gex2FMX.jpg

Given the single CR123A size, the R1 is small enough for pocket EDC. The R1's size and weight also makes it suitable as a headlamp and thus is included with a Rofis branded headband that carries the R1 in the right angle head orientation for headlamp usage.
The R1 also features a wider interior bore than the Rofis TR10. This allows for a wider range of CR123A-sized batteries to fit and operate in the R1 over its TR10 predecessor.
uCbA17N.jpg

In the photo below, all of these batteries fit and powered the R1 when tested.
JVMhTGY.jpg

Below is a picture of the R1 next to a Zippo lighter to demonstrate size. It is approximately 3.5 inches in length with the head oriented straight. When angled, the length is approximately 2.75 inches.
LzeeV4F.jpg

The Output Specs
The Rofis R1 has three main modes (Low, Medium, High), a Turbo mode (temporary maximum output), a Strobe mode, SOS mode, and a Moonlight mode.
The Turbo mode outputs 900 lumens for 30 seconds before it automatically ramps down. This is done to manage the excessive heat and power draw and is common among pocket sized flashlights with a Turbo mode.
The High mode yields 300 lumens and has a maximum run time of 70 minutes.
The Medium mode yields 60 lumens and has a maximum run time of 7.5 hours.
The Low mode yields 10 lumens and has a maximum run time of 40 hours.
The Moonlight mode yields 0.5 lumens and has a maximum run time of 20 days. Yes, days.
The Strobe and SOS mode (both 900 lumens) are not rated by the manufacturer for run times.

Below are some photos from field use on a trail during a night hike to show the various outputs.

Control photo (no use of flashlight):
7i1t6Ut.jpg

Moonlight Mode:
HiaX23C.jpg

Low Mode:
c1Egckt.jpg

Medium Mode:
Tmjm77r.jpg

High mode:
brzNJmH.jpg

Turbo mode:
iOD6qum.jpg

The maximum candela for the R1 is 5625cd.
In my usage, I did not notice any Pulsed Width Modulation in person or on video camera footage.

Other specs include Ingress Protection of IPX8 which indicates this flashlight is fully waterproof. It will survive total immersion in water. The maximum beam distance is rated to 150 meters. Impact resistance is 1 meter. It's made of aluminum alloy and has Type III Hard Anodizing. Hard Anodizing gives the flashlight a black finish that does not scratch easily.

User Interface
The Rofis R1 only has a single button. This powers the flashlight on and off and accesses the various modes depending on how you use the button. From the Off position, a single tap will turn it on. A tap again will turn it off. The R1 has output mode memory so it will resume the output you last used it in. When on, holding the button will cycle through the 3 main outputs of Low, Medium, and High. You simply press and hold until you get the mode you want.

Turbo is accessed by double tapping the button from any mode, including off. The Turbo mode yields a maximum output for a 30 second duration. This is helpful for temporary maximum illumination especially to see details at a distance.

A triple tap in a similar fashion will access the Strobe. Strobe modes are used for self-defense as it's a disorienting strobe of light in the maximum brightness. It is good for temporarily blinding threatening people or animals and is a feature found on many tactical flashlights. In the strobe mode, pressing and holding the button will cycle it to SOS mode. The SOS mode uses the maximum output in the internationally recognized distress signal of 3 short bursts followed by 3 longer bursts of light.

The last mode is the moonlight mode. This mode, as the name implies, gives off a very soft light, similar to moonlight outside at night. It is best used for navigating in complete darkness without disturbing others or compromising your night vision. Given the ultra low consumption (actually 0.5 lumen in output), you can actually look directly at the emitter in this mode and it runs up to 20 days of continual use. It is accessed by pressing and holding the button from the off position for a few seconds.

Nearly all the modes can be directly accessed from the off position from either mode memory or how you press the button.

Lastly, the R1 features a lock-out function to prevent accidental activation. You simply press and hold the power button while off. You will see the moonlight mode turn on, but keep holding and the R1 will then power off. It has now been locked out and will only turn on when the button is pressed and held for over 3 seconds. This function is great for carrying in a pocket or bag and preventing accidental activation. You can alternatively loosen the tail cap to disconnect the circuit. The anodizing of the threads allows for this and this practice is recommended for storing to minimize parasitic drain.

The Special Features and Usage
The primary unique feature of the Rofis R1 is its rotating head. It can be rotated from a horizontal to vertical position and stay in any desired position in between. This unique feature is greatly mated with the R1's magnetic tail, allowing the flashlight to attach to any ferrous surface. Given these two features, it makes for an excellent emergency work light for a vehicle. The flashlight can connect upside-down to an opened hood or engine bay of a vehicle to serve as a work light, focusing the light exactly where you need it with ease. It can also attach to a body panel and serve as a hands-free work light for tasks such as replacing a flat tire.
jZqEV1b.jpg

phc1X76.jpg

n7KPMSm.jpg

Another unique feature is the proprietary magnetic charging. Unlike some similar flashlights that utilize a MicroUSB port covered by a waterproof flap, the Rofis R1 uses a magnetic port to connect to a proprietary USB cable to charge the battery inside the R1. This allows for the battery to be charged within the flashlight instead of necessitating removal and being placed in a separate charger. The magnetic charging port is also sealed and does not have the ingress vulnerabilities to dirt and water that a covered MicroUSB port does if the flap is accidentally removed or damaged. The magnetic head of the cable is strong and reliably connects to the R1 and isn't easily removed by moving the flashlight around. Charging is also flexible and the R1 can be powered by just about any device with an output voltage to a USB port. This includes laptops, car USB ports and chargers, power banks, and cellphone wall adapters.
Another notable feature of the R1 and its magnetic charging is that it can emit light even when charging. This makes it considerably unique from other USB-charging flashlights. The output while charging is limited to a single mode which appears to be a special mode outputting somewhere between Low and Medium outputs. This allows the R1 to be used in emergency situations where the user may have to recharge from a source like a power bank while in operation.
TOyL3hU.jpg

The R1 also features a silicone-covered power button with LEDs underneath that serve as charging and battery capacity indicators. While charging, the button will illuminate red. When complete, the button will illuminate green. The button will also indicate the charge level of the battery when the R1's power is circuited. Hence, when inserting a 16340 battery, it will illuminate green for 2 seconds if the battery's capacity is over 50%. If the battery capacity is below 50% but above 10%, it will illuminate red for 2 seconds. If it's below 10%, it will flash for 3 seconds, indicating it needs to be charged. During use, it will flash red when the battery is low on power. Given the anodized threads of the R1, tail cap lock-out via loosening is possible. This process also allows one to check the battery status on demand as battery circuitry engagement activates the battery charge LED function.
VZlnrWu.jpg

The Head Gear
The R1 comes supplied with a Rofis-branded headband. It holds the R1 with a snug silicone holder with two loops. The design is such that an R1 with a clip attached can still be mounted to the holder. While the R1 can be entirely rotated up or down on the silicone holder, the R1's unique swivel head allows for the user to easily adjust the angle of the light as well by just twisting the head. In practice, it works very well and I found the R1 comfortable to wear. The low and moonlight modes offer great close-up lighting while the Medium, High, and Turbo offer ample distance lighting. I found the Medium mode to be ideal for balancing output with run times for night hiking. The High mode and Turbo mode are great for range. The R1's reflector casts a wide light that is ideal for trail use at night, illuminating both the ground immediately in front with the light spill but also the path and area ahead with the main beam. It served as an excellent trail headlamp when tested on a night hike and would serve just as well as a work light for night-time automotive repairs or similar tasks.
oHL3SRJ.jpg

Every Day Carry (EDC)
The Rofis R1 is a compact flashlight that is an ideal size for pocket EDC. Given the magnetic port for its rechargeable battery and its strong clip, the Rofis R1 is something that can be carried around and used daily and charged easily when needed. It can also attach to ferrous surfaces sideways or upside-down and with its rotating head, can offer light in just about any desired angle. Personally, I find the R1 an ideal EDC in function but prefer a thinner profile that of a AA or AAA battery light for daily pocket carry as an EDC. For CR123A sized lights, I prefer a small holster which the Rofis R1 does not come with. However, the clip is very strong and is reversible, allowing one to carry the flashlight in either direction. This allow flexibility in carry whether in a pocket, belt, or attached to a cap bill. However, due to the rotating head, the clip can only be positioned in certain places if one desires the head to be rotated freely while the clip is on.
BWip5op.jpg

Night Hiking Usage Notes
The R1 proved to be a capable, versatile, and reliable flashlight in the field. The color tint is on the warm neutral side, allowing better color rendering than cool white tints. The spot is wide but not enough to compromise range. It is ideal for trail lighting and the spill is also favorable for peripheral illumination. Given these beam characteristics, I found the R1 to be ideal for night hike trail usage.
7cjz3ue.jpg

With the rotating head, the versatility is unrivaled by any compact flashlight I know of. In the straight orientation, it can be used as a traditional flashlight, easily carried in a pocket with a clip. The clip can be reversed for the R1 to attach onto a cap bill. With a quick rotation of the head, the R1 can then be clipped to a pocket or sternum strap, allowing quick mounting on the body for hands-free usage.
uVC8T3p.jpg

With attachment to the headband, it operates as a powerful headlamp for both range illumination on the trail with its Turbo, High, and Medium mode, but also for close up work in the Low and Moonlight modes. As such, the R1 proved to be a versatile field use flashlight with many usage configurations.
Below is a demonstrative photo of Moonlight mode on my hand while standing.
UANocm6.jpg

Below is a demonstrative photo of Low mode on my hand while standing.
jOuOnvt.jpg

While on the trail, I mainly used the Medium output mode. This appeared to be suitable for trail illumination in my conditions (Southern California ridge-line trails with no tree canopy to shield from moonlight). However, quick access to High and Turbo was used to illuminate further down the trail or spotlight things of interest. In the photo below, a wild rabbit is found on the trail as the Rofis R1 lights it up on Turbo.
vVUUNIY.jpg

The Turbo mode proves to be a significant output boost for the R1 and is useful for temporary range illumination, especially to note terrain. The output is bright and wide, allowing for a good flood of light. The Turbo mode automatically ramps down after 30 seconds which was verified from multiple clockings. Below are photos demonstrating the usage of Turbo from Off to show the drop-off from a mesa.
zX9nruC.jpg

eT4ppR8.jpg

Carrying the R1 is a comfortable affair. The flashlight features large grooves as a grip instead of traditional knurling. I found the grip to be comfortable yet not sacrifice handling. The grip styling also makes the R1 look more futuristic and unique when compared to most others with traditional knurling including its predecessor; the Rofis TR10.

The R1 also does not get hot, even on Turbo mode. It is a flashlight that's comfortable to handle with good thermal proprieties. In this regard, it's suitable for prolonged headlamp usage.

Criticisms
Overall, my complaints with the Rofis R1 are few and minimal, but there is no such thing as perfection. For starters, the R1 is not cheap and some may question the relatively unknown Rofis brand. Another is "con" is the battery type and size. It's not too common compared to typical Alkaline sizes like AA, AAA, and the sort. This makes powering it a little less universal for emergency back-up power supplies (especially while traveling) and primary lithium batteries are more expensive. The size also makes it considerably thicker than a penlight with a AA or AAA battery. Like I previously mentioned, it can EDC in a pocket, but you'll feel it.

Another issue is more personal preference, but I prefer cooler tints. The R1 has among the warmest tint of all the flashlights I own. While some prefer warmer, neutral tints for color rendering and reduced eye strain, cooler tints typically output more light both in specs and how it looks to the eyes. While I don't find the R1's tint problematic, an ideal tint would be cooler for my tastes.

Another complaint is the clip. It gets in the way of the head rotation, the power button, or the charging port unless you have it in a specific location only which was pictured in the review. While the clip is firmly attached to the flashlight, it's rather inflexible and doesn't clip on or clip off easily to things like pockets. I've also noticed minor chipping of the anodization from the removing and replacing the clip to the R1.

Another issue is with the proprietary magnetic USB charging cable. While excellent in quality and function, it poses a risk of disabling the USB charging function of the R1 if the cable gets lost. Unlike other flashlights with universal MicroUSB ports, the R1 can only use its proprietary cable to charge. Furthermore, it's not compatible with other magnetic charging cables such as that for the Klarus XT12GT. When tested, it was evident the magnets on the R1's body and the Klarus charging adapter had the same polarity, repelling each other. Hence, one must not lose or damage the Rofis charging cable if they want USB charging for their R1.

Lastly, the power button can be obscured when used in certain positions, especially as a headlamp. This can make accessing modes difficult.

All this being said, the positives of the Rofis R1 far outweigh the cons and I have this flashlight in high regard and would recommend it. It's also not my first Rofis product and their customer service and communication regarding both the TR10 and R1 has been absolutely satisfying.

Conclusion
The Rofis R1 is an impressive compact flashlight that is the most versatile flashlight I've ever handled or, in fact, even ever heard of. From serving as an EDC, work light, headlamp, night adventure light, to self-defense tool, it seems to handle any task. The 900 lumen max output is also impressive, if not short-lived. However, regulating the output to a 30 second span is likely necessary to control heat and prolong the emitter lifespan, let alone the battery life. I found the build quality and ergonomics to be excellent and better than the Rofis TR10. Compared to the TR10, the R1 appears to be the product of Rofis improving both the flashlight and the packaging in every way. For example, the TR10 did not come supplied with a battery, head strap, or the ability to recharge a battery within itself. I had to supply a battery and external charger to use the TR10. With the R1's easy magnetic charging within the flashlight from a multitude of USB sources, it makes travel-charging far easier. It can also run primary CR123As in a pinch too. It also works fine with other 16340 batteries I have. The R1 would also serve as an ideal car flashlight given the magnetic tail and rotating head. The use of primary CR123A batteries would allow reliability in extreme temperatures (both hot and cold) while offering a standby life unmatched by alkalines (that often leak) or rechargeable batteries. Alternatively, the supplied 16340 battery would be excellent for EDC and maximum lumen outputs. The SOS mode would also be useful in emergencies to call attention. Attached to the included head strap, it can also be a work light for nighttime emergency repairs. In essence, the R1 is very versatile and useful.

I would recommend the Rofis R1 to both collectors and flashlight novices alike given the unique versatility. For a novice, it's something worth the price to have a complete package with a multitude of uses with impressive outputs. Whether camping, repairs, emergencies, or EDC, it's the one flashlight that can do it all very well. If one isn't looking to have many flashlights for various uses, the R1 should fit the bill as a "Jack of All Trades".
For the collector, the features make it unique from many rivals, adding value in a collection. Rofis is also a lesser known brand, making it more interesting to own.

Again, my overall experience with the Rofis R1 has been excellent and during multiple field uses, it proved to be a worthy and impressive flashlight.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review. I like the design changes that they've made to the R1. This light will be added to my short list.

I also prefer the thinner profiles of the AA and AAA lights, but will be giving this light a close look.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review. I like the design changes that they've made to the R1. This light will be added to my short list.

I also prefer the thinner profiles of the AA and AAA lights, but will be giving this light a close look.

Thanks. Yes, Rofis obviously went back to the drawing board to make the R1 significantly better than the TR10. While the TR10 is a great flashlight itself, the R1 shows great evolution in the design and features.
As for the thinner profile of AA and AAA lights, I agree. The R1 isn't bad to pocket carry at all, but if you're walking a lot, thinner is the winner. That being said, CR123A-sized lights are favorable in terms of length, weight, and performance specs. However, you may not need to compromise on the battery type if you have patience. Rofis makes AA-sized models and the TR15 is the current AA/14500 flashlight from Rofis. Better yet, it's evident that Rofis is creating an R Series with the R1 being the debut model. Their website shows an R2 and R3 in the making. My guess is that the R2 will be the AA/14500 model and the R3 will be the 18650 model based on the photos.
That being said, the CR123A-sized TR10 is lighter in weight, is rated with 200 more lumens of max output, has a longer max run time, and has a higher candela rating than the AA/14500-sized TR15. It's likely these differences will carry over to the R Series.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drats! I saw this on Amazon yesterday for $51.79 and was going to buy it this morning, but that price is gone and it's now $69.95, like everybody else. No hurry, now.

I'll still likely buy it, eventually.