Any one tested the Klarus INR 10180?

hazna

Enlightened
Klarus seem to make an INR 10180 cell. Would be good for those small lights on high modes. Anyone tested them to see how they perform? Is INR chemistry likely to make much difference in such small cells?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know that they marketed one and have a Jetbeam Mini that uses them.

I would think that they're all coming from a few manufacturers and will all do an adequate job until they don't.

I don't think the INR chemistry is going to make a difference.

For $6 bucks at Battery Junction, you can afford to gamble.

Chris

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus seem to make an INR 10180 cell. Would be good for those small lights on high modes. Anyone tested them to see how they perform? Is INR chemistry likely to make much difference in such small cells?

Unprotected LiCo cells that inadvertently drop below 2.5V are effectively destroyed, and once placed the back on a charger, they can explode or cause a fire. INR or LiNiCoMnO2 chemistry does not need protection because it can tolerate being over discharged below 2.5V, at a loss of capacity depending on how long they were down there, and once placed back on a charger there is little to no risk they might explode or cause a fire.

10180 cells have tiny capacity, thus increasing the probability of dropping below 2.5V. So INR and IMR cells would be more ideal in this application than LiCo cells, IMO, even if they might or do have a slightly lower capacity.

It appears the Klarus INR10180 is discontinued and no longer available, at least I can't find them anywhere. They were outrageously expensive, anyway. I cannot tell what the chemistry is of most of the 10180 cells I see being sold, and can only assume they are LiCo cells.

I am late to the 10180 flashlight party and looking to pick up a few in the coming months, but I can't seem to find any IMR or INR 10180 cells being sold anywhere.

Anyone know if they exist?

10180 flashlight collectors and hoarders, what cells are you using?

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MecArmy LIR10180 is protected, 100mAh. I don't understand why it is 3.7V instead of 3.6V, I think the protection circuit and the increased capacity compared to other 10180 means it is LiCo. I think that the claim of 3.7V must be a mistake. But doesn't LIR mean it is LiCo?

Apparently not, the Klarus 10180 advertised as IMR, reads LIR right on the battery label.

Maybe LIR doesn't speak to specific chemistry, and simply means, ambiguously, "Lithium Ion Rechargeable."

The JetBeam 10180 is unprotected, 3.7V, and only 70mAh, and if it is IMR or INR, it should be unprotected, 3.7V, and have less capacity than LiCo. If it was LiCo, I'd expect it to have more than 100mAh because protection circuits take up room, and this doesn't have one.

Anyone with knowledge of different Li-ion chemistries should be able to tell me how wrong I am to assume the JetBeam is IMR or INR based on these reasons.

Welll, the Fenix 10180 is 3.6V, indicating LiCo chemistry, and unprotected, and only has 80mAh. Wonder why the capacity is so low when no room is taken up by a protection circuit.

Last edited: