Quick Thoughts On New Olight ION (recieved today)

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty much what I expected - and as described on Olight's website. The basics of this light can be seen on their website HERE.

One of the things I wanted to test right away; how well the output was regulated at max 320 lumens. So, after a full charge, I used a light meter and measured reflected light off a ceiling in a small dark room. Surprisingly, the initial turn-on at max 320lm only dropped 9% in the first seven minutes, then remained constant at 91% of initial output until the ION shut completely off at 27 minutes (total runtime for max output exactly as listed on Olight's website; 27min). In other words, the ION remains very close to max output during its entire runtime, a notable plus the ION. Also, at fifteen minutes of max output, the ION is noticeably warm, but not too hot to hold.

Before I talk about the touch sensitive keypad in the next paragraph, note that holding down the +/- touch keys will gradually change brightness, giving you what seems like an infinite number of custom brightness levels.

Now, about that pressure sensitive keypad. That's a bit frustrating. There is zero tactile feel, you have to experiment how hard to press down to activate it. It really works best when continually pressing down to activate the gradual ramp-up/down (which works pretty well). However, trying to tap on the keypad to change the four predefined levels is rather tricky, you may find yourself pressing down several times to find the sweet spot (where to press & how hard to press). For practical use, I would be more likely to set the output with the keypad once, then use memory mode with the power switch.

320 lumens is certainly believable. Reflected light measurements shows the ION is about 10% brighter than my Nitecore TIP on turbo (rated at 360lm).

Note the Olight website shows six predefined levels (380, 160, 40, 10, 2.5 and 1). Tapping the +/- keys only gives you four predefined levels (160/40/10/2.5). You must hold down the +/- keys to access 360 or 1 lumens.

The gorilla glass is a nice touch, giving the ION a nice shiny/reflective look. As you can see in the photo, there are two included screen protectors for the glass (one for the front, one for the back). Don't know if I will ever use them.

Note that this is an anniversary commemorative collector's type flashlight. As Olight's website says "It is not waterproof and not meant for hard use". I can see myself using the ION, but in controlled environments. I do not see this an an EDC for most people. That being said, it's an interesting looking light and would probably be a great conversation piece around the table.

Terry
8k3gbisneaf2d646g.jpg

5ack512wzrc4w2c6g.jpg

2dqfw49c49ud2726g.jpg

Latest posts