Small cylindrical LED push-button flashlight, either AAA or rechargable

SAWBONES

Newly Enlightened
New here, and have read the recent posts (and used the SEARCH function, but all acquired entries are old) regarding the thread title, but am seeking members' knowledgeable advice about best options.

I've daily carried small flashlights for decades, all of them operated by head-twist, and in all cases the threads eventually become occluded to the degree that they become almost inoperative. (I've tried very lightly lubricating the threads BTW, but it makes a mess, and the effect doesn't last.)

I've had the middle-size (e.g., Surefire "tactical" lights) push-button operated flashlights since back when those were all of the incandescent sort, but given the amount of junque already carried in my pockets or on the belt, I really don't want a light of that size for pocket carry.
For the past six years I've carried a 4Sevens Preon ReVO, and I'm sorry to learn here that 4Sevens is closing.

I don't need a flashlight very often indoors or during the daytime, but when I do need it, I really need it to work and not to give trouble.
I know I should just twist the head now and then to keep the threads clear, but somehow I never remember to do that.

I basically want to be able to rely on having a useful, easily carried small keychain-sized flashlight for EDC, and with the relatively recent advent of push-button operation for even tiny examples, I'd appreciate the ideas and recommendations of experienced folks here.

LED , cylindrical, push-button operation are the essential qualities.
Single output or both low and high output are good.

Multiple output levels, strobe, etc. are unnecessary but are OK if present.

Thanks.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
Hey there. Welcome.

First - and not quite to your point, sorry - it can help a ton to clean those threads and connections with something like Deoxit ProGold ($6 for a little tube at amazon). I'm always amazed how much black gunk comes off. That ReVO should have a lot of good years left in it, right?

But back to your question. How do you want to carry it? Loose in a pocket, clipped, keychain? A loose AAA with a button is begging for accidental pocket activation and a dead battery, unless precautions are taken.

I don't have any of these, but these may help your search:
Peak Eiger with a momentary switch
Lumintop Tool AAA
Thrunite Ti5
Fenix LD02
UltraTac A5 or K18

I'm sure there are some newer lights; I haven't been keeping up.

There are also some pretty small AA lights too. I carry a Zebralight SC52, it's tiny for an AA.

Good luck!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to try something inexpensive ($5), look on gearbest for the singfire 348. It's a 1xAAA push-button light, that puts out about 50 lumens on a AAA battery for about an hour. You can also run it on a lithium-ion for much higher output, but I find it's just about perfect on AAA.

I have about a dozen of those lights, but with a Nichia 219 high-CRI LED in them, from a couple of group buys over at blf. They were called the BLF-348. Unfortunately, they are sold out of those. But if you don't care about tint, the singfire is the same light with a cool white led.

They're not the highest quality light, but they hold up fine to normal use, and look very nice and sleek. All mine are still going well after a couple of years.

SAWBONES

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both.

I should have mentioned, a keychain mode of carry is what I had in mind.

I'll look into your recommendations, including the DeoxIT Pro Gold cleaner for gooped-up threads on my old 4Sevens Preon, but I do want a button-activated light for my wife, who will likely carry the light more in her purse than pocket, and probably never clean it or even touch it unless & until she actually needs it.

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened
I have bee very happy with the Streamlight Microstream AAA light. I have had one since 2008 and it has worked very well. The newer ones have better output. It looks like they will have a new lithium ion model that is USB rechargeable sometime in January.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bee very happy with the Streamlight Microstream AAA light. I have had one since 2008 and it has worked very well. The newer ones have better output. It looks like they will have a new lithium ion model that is USB rechargeable sometime in January.
I too EDC a second generation Microstream. I stress the generation because after the original version, Streamlight tightened up the push button so it is significantly harder to press, so that an accidental activation is nigh onto impossible.

I know you specified cylindrical, but the Nitecore Tube and Tip are two keychain lights that would work very well for what you have expressed as needs. If you decide to get a Tip, make sure it is a 2017 version. The original Tip had unacceptable levels of parasitic drain when locked out, and there were many complaints about accidental activation if it wasn't locked out.