Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year resolution for flashlights

Default New Year resolution for flashlights

Anybody got any resolutions for the New Year (that you know you'll break before Ground Hog Day)?!?!?

In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I didn't even bother to make New Years resolution in 2016 for 2017, but did make it a few days before buying any lights. When it began raining NIP Pentagons at Amazon I had to act and fast.

This year my resolution is to be more picky than last year. Nothing complicated. I turned off the one click settings at eBay and Amazon during the summer so it's a bit of a procedure to actually order anything.

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here.
    John 3:16

Default Re: New Year resolution for flashlights

I'll promise myself only old school P60 hosts. Or, only HDS this year. Or only Oveready. Something equally arcane. Or I'll say that I'm saving up for something, no other purchases until I buy that one. Lol. I've met me. None of that's going to happen. First, there's just too much good new stuff out there. Second, I'm easily distracted by shiny stuff, even after 9 years here. Though, to be fair, there are two on BST right now that I'm resisting so far... I did have the Paypal Twitch when I saw them both though...

Edit- Okay, three on BTS...
    Last edited by scout24; 12-26-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Anybody got any resolutions for the New Year (that you know you'll break before Ground Hog Day)?!?!?

In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I didn't even bother to make New Years resolution in 2016 for 2017, but did make it a few days before buying any lights. When it began raining NIP Pentagons at Amazon I had to act and fast.

This year my resolution is to be more picky than last year. Nothing complicated. I turned off the one click settings at eBay and Amazon during the summer so it's a bit of a procedure to actually order anything.

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here.
    I concur with the idea of always trying to be more and more picky.

I had resolved not to buy anything from Prometheus Lights until I could get my Blue Label made for me, however I never actually managed to get my hands on one of my own. But, here on CPF, an Alpha custom became available and I picked it up. It just happened to be the finish I wanted and an emitter I really liked and in almost new condition too.

I feel that shopping the WTS section here at CPF can still certainly qualify for being picky. Where else will you find rare and/or discontinued lights from the likes of Malkoff, McGizmo, HDS, 47s, Cool Fall, Muyshondt, Tain, Prometheus, Vihn G, OVEREADY, Peak, SureFire, LensLight, and many others?

Shopping CPFs WTS section could be the ultimate example of being picky if you're looking for something in specific, like say McGizmo PD-S or a Lunasol...
    In cases like that, it's here you can be a connoisseur.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I'll promise myself only old school P60 hosts. Or only Oveready. Something equally arcane.
    Sounds like Oveready P60 hosts would do it (I sold fire & ice 6Ps two weeks ago..., still have a fire).

I'm planning on selling more off in the new year, hanging onto the McGizmos and the bulk of the Overeadys...., and the...
    Last edited by nfetterly; 12-26-2017 at 05:22 PM.

I have a Fire C2, and a bored HAIII black 6P from Oveready. Trying to not look at the new unified P60 hosts...

I started out the year with a Pentagon eX2 and tonight likely my last one for 017 was an NIP PX2. I considered the Pentagon version of SureFire's G2 all year and today decided to pull the trigger.

Unless I see an incan E1 at a geat price, that should be it for this year. (Or if SureFire ships my back ordered EDCL2-T before 12/31).
    (Edit: got shipping notice from SureFire. Yippeeeeee)
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-26-2017 at 09:40 PM.

My new year resolution is to get my very first exotic Tain w/ Trits!

I'm not even gonna start lying.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

i'm tempted to try one light for one year and put any and all buying on hold. Probably setting myself up for a major fail but it could be a nice exercise in self control and simplifying. Also good for the brain not obsessing over what's next or what else. Anyone tried an extended trial with strictly one light? Again in my day to day this isn't a HUGE DEAL because I don't rely on a light for work or anything major.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Default New Year resolution for flashlights

Quote from gurdygurds:
    "In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here."

Hey Friend,
    I hate to contribute to your addiction, but I know you were looking for a Malkoff AA light & since I won't part with mine...I found one on the 'bay for a great price so I had to let you know...
    Last edited by Crazyeddiethefirst; 12-26-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Correct Quote

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    i'm tempted to try one light for one year and put any and all buying on hold. Probably setting myself up for a major fail but it could be a nice exercise in self control and simplifying. Also good for the brain not obsessing over what's next or what else. Anyone tried an extended trial with strictly one light? Again in my day to day this isn't a HUGE DEAL because I don't rely on a light for work or anything major.
    My "go to" light is one I bought in June 2016. My backup was bought in September 016. Both sit on my nightstand, go with me to the shower each day and go where I go throughout day (or night). So I suppose it's do-able for a flashaholic to buy one for the entire year. But like a box of crayons... the more the merrier.

Well now you gotta tell us which two lights they are!! Also i'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that takes a light to the shower

QUOTE=bykfixer;5167578]My "go to" light is one I bought in June 2016. My backup was bought in September 016. Both sit on my nightstand, go with me to the shower each day and go where I go throughout day (or night). So I suppose it's do-able for a flashaholic to buy one for the entire year. But like a box of crayons... the more the merrier.[/QUOTE]

A clipless PKDL PR-1 and black version of his PL2 (with a PK DL prototype hat clip and nite-ize quick release) (A microstream clip was used until PK did some stainless ones)

Not for everybody I know but for my uses they fit my life just right. Oh, I carry other stuff as well but those dudes fit in me trouser pockets like chapstick and pocket knives. I carried a Coast HP1 and Streamlight Microstream for about a year before acquiring those.

I also have a Streamlight Nano on a necklace, but that stays home mostly.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-26-2017 at 10:29 PM.

I’ll be swearing off expensive, gorgeous lights with amazing capabilities that are less reliable than $10 Walmart specials

This year my resolution is to buy a light with at least 15,000 lumens and at least 2,000 meters throw.
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    I’ll be swearing off expensive, gorgeous lights with amazing capabilities that are less reliable than $10 Walmart specials
    Are you referring to any lights in particular? Totally a serious question. Not being sarcastic. Just curious.

A&Q Moderator

Bought a pile-o-lights this year. I gotta slow down.......
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I'll try to stay away from the WTS subforums haha...

I placed an order for an HDS EDC Rotary HiCri 200 in early December and it is expected to ship in mid-January. This seems to be my "perfect light" and will be the single most expensive light I've purchased so far.

I am resolved to not spend another penny on lights until May 1, 2018.

We'll see how that goes...

Flashaholic*

No light specific resolutions. I've been pretty good the last few years, excepting foursevens' clearance. So all I need to do is continue the same.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Welp,
    It's 11:02am and I haven't bought a light yet.
    That's already better than 016.
    I think in 017 it was a few days before I bought any.
    Some from December are still in the mail so that should be my fix for a few days/weeks/months.... lego-able type.

My last 017 purchase ended up being on 12/31 as a classic SureFire I've always wanted popped up in the WTS section.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.

I'd like to spend/invest about the same amount in lights this year as last, But.. seriously decrease the quantity of lights. So I may focus on buying Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta, and perhaps an HDS and a Prometheus.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
    .... I may focus on buying Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta, and perhaps an HDS and a Prometheus.
    That's a very nice list ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
    I'd like to spend/invest about the same amount in lights this year as last, But.. seriously decrease the quantity of lights.
    That's what I did last year and hope to continue that trend this year.

Mainly historic lights. Ones that changed the game or improved it before the lumen wars began....

I have my grail light arriving, hopefully, this month. What with that and my HDS and my Malkoffs I think i'm settled. But then I spotted another HDS on Ebay last week and just got outbid at the last minute. Which was just as well, as I had the pay for the new one.
    I shall carry on looking at the WTS and begging folks to ship to the Uk. Maybe buy a couple more OR, Malk or HDS and enjoy the ones that I have.
    Have a New Year that does what you want it to do - like your favourite Ui.
    P

I hope to spend less money but that Tain mega thread looks like it’s about to ruin it before the day is up
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

If I really like a tool (such a light), then so long as it's not genuinely cost prohibitive, I'm getting a spare.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

A custom model not shire witch one.

My resolution lasted 39 hours and 24 minutes.
    On Jan 2 it rained E2 executives.

Well, my flashlight curio cabinet just went on a diet. I just sold off about 15 lights; which leaves me with about 14 or so. One was a Surefire, 3 Maglites, and the rest were the usual suspects out of China.

I'm shifting financial resources towards firearms. But I might just buy 2-3 "good" lights this year. Maybe the SF Tactician, an Elzetta, and some Malkoff...
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast