Soo frustrating that its soo close....the Lumintop HL AAA

gogdog

Newly Enlightened
Why does searching for a flashlight have to balance soo many pros/cons?

I'm an ultralight backpacker...where ever gram gets analyzed. I don't do a lot of night hiking, so my priority is finding a AAA headlamp that also doubles as a flashlight ...hence, a right angled light. A great way to save weight is to also not bring a headband. Which is why I sewed a loop onto my fleece beanie ->

uvczW6B.jpg

Anyway, there are several options for AAA right angle lights, but none are perfect ->

1. Fenix HL10 2016: .5oz The plastic "adjuster" (which is a gimmick btw), reflects light back to you. So on high, it actually makes it like you are holding a lamp and it kind of blinds you ->
LQp84Po.jpg

Its also annoying that you have to hold to turn on and off, but it does have mode memory...and, it does have tail lockout. Big con: no clip.

2. Maratac AAA TPF: .5oz
G4sIwGv.jpg

Biggest con: Its a twistie. And, its med/low/high and I prefer low/med/high. The glow in the dark reflector is also slightly a gimmick (it just doesn't "glow" for very long).

3. Manker e02: Too heavy at 32g without battery. I could get a zebralight AA for that weight. Don't like the UI.

4. MecArmy FM11: Also too heavy at 1.16oz excluding battery. Expensive.

That leaves a Lumintop HL AAA.
9vMKiVX.jpg

This has a ton of things going for it. Its .5oz, clickie, low/med/high, single click to turn on, I like the silver color, has a reversible clip, and even has a magnetic tail on it. Has a better runtime than the fenix hl10 plus a brighter high setting (that runs for 45 minutes vs the claimed 30 minutes).

But dang it! Its soo frustrating that its so close to perfect for me, but...has 2 big disadvantages:
1. It doesn't have a tail lockout, nor an electronic lockout. So to be sure that it doesn't accidentally turn on in my pack, I would have to completely unscrew it.
2. Its a hold to turn off...which, in and of itself isn't "that bad". BUT...its a bad 'hold to turn off'.

For example...the Fenix HL10 is also a hold to turn off, but its a shorter one ( <1sec ), and....while you are holding it, it turns off itself, THEN you release your finger.
The Lumintop....you have to hold it for 1.5sec, and it stays on until you release it. So you really have to hold it for like....2+ seconds to make sure you have held it for longer than 1.5seconds otherwise it just cycles through to the next light setting. If they had just made it so it turns off by itself WHILE you are holding it, it wouldn't be so bad.

I have settled on the lumintop hl aaa as my current light. But....I'll be watching for new AAA right angle lights for sure. HOPEFULLY someone will make my perfect light.

Here is another frustrating example. I have thought about getting a AA angle light for winter usage or ...just because I deserve it. Probably be getting a Zebralight h53.

The h53 is an upgrade over the h52 due to the higher CRI, and brighter lumens, plus the addition of multiple UI groups. But why did they have to go and downgrade it by removing 14500 support and removing the reversible clip option? Sigh.

LedTed

Enlightened
For what it's worth gogdog,

I recently made the seemingly inevitable change to 18650s.

That change also led to dual purpose headlamps. As a backup, I have a Lumintop HL tossed in the bottom of my work bag. It has never accidentally turned on in the bag.

As you already know, the light itself is somewhat amazingly useful in: brightness, convenience, run time, and UI. So far, I'm happy with my tiny HL.

That's just my 2¢.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the HL AAA for the same purpose as the op, and I agree with the issues (good and bad). But if I want a AAA powered light for the back country, it will be what I grab.

An option to consider is a CR123 powered light, like a H32w. Might be twice the weight, but it can share batteries with my water purification device (steripen). So in a pinch, like an emergency hike out at night, there would be no worries. And it is bright enough to see that bear off in the woods.

With headband and 16340 battery, 1.85oz

312ag5c.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

gogdog

Newly Enlightened
I knew that foam holder looked familiar! I actually bought your Maratac AAA TPF at BPL ->

0eEgNUN.jpg

I actually just bought a ZL h53 because I use AAs more often than cr123s. But...even the h53 and h32 have a con....they have nonreversible clips. What bugs me even more is that the h52 HAD a reversible clip and they removed that functionality with the new version (and removed 14500 support)! Also, I was looking at the h32s but....now it seems they removed the neutral white options and only have cool white models?

Anyway, this is definitely a NEWB question, but lets say I did have a h32. What are the dangers of using a Olight ORBC-163C06 RCR123A type battery, which has an integrated micro usb port? ->
Kx4tpfY.jpg

Basically...lets say I have an external battery pack for my phone. It outputs at either 1A or 2.1A, but the battery specs say that the charging rate for the olight battery is 325mA. Does the battery control how much amps go into the charging or would I fry the battery if I connected it to the 2.1A external battery pack?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no perfect flashlight in any category for most people. Everybody has their own priorities, and the manufacturers try to spec features that balance as many of those as possible. There's almost always something you want different than what is on the market.

So it's a matter of picking the smallest compromise. Here's how I see it:

1.) Fenix HL10 - has a diffuser you don't like, but don't have to use. Sounds like a pretty decent option to me.

2.) Maratac - interface is a little inconvenient for headlamp use, but you don't need a headlamp often anyways. Sounds like a pretty decent option to me.

3.) Manker E02 - 18g heavier than your lightest option. Literally the same as 96 calories worth of Costco trail mix, which equals 10-15 minutes worth of hiking calorie burn. Go measure out two tablespoons worth of trail mix or any other dry material you have on hand to use to visualize whether this weight makes the E02 genuinely not a decent option.

4.) MecArmy FM11 - similar weight as E02, so similar discussion. The bigger consideration in my mind is the lower capacity of the 10180 battery - less than half the watt-hours of a standard Eneloop.

5.) HL AAA - it's hypothetically possible that if not carefully packed, something might trigger the recessed button, and it's got a slightly inconvenient interface, but you don't plan to use it that much anyways.

Basically, I think you've got a bunch of decent to very good options.

One more you might consider if you figure out a way to wear it without the headband is the Nitecore NU20. It's 47 grams *including* a higher capacity battery than any of the other lights on your list. I'm unclear if that weight includes the headband. The big downside is the non-replaceable rechargeable battery, but you can recharge it from your USB battery pack.

Regarding the Zebralight H53, the practical effect of the change is the loss of the option to get ~25% further throw for 1 minute before the stepdown.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
From my understanding, the current going in is based on resistance of the device. So the resistance of the olight battery limits it to 325mA. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me.

The only time I use the clip in any of my ZL headlights is when clipping it to my waist belt for night hiking (currently loving the H302w). With the head above the tail, I have not found any issue with having the clip come up from below on my waist belt. I initially thought that it might fall off, but it just never happens.

Gear and more gear, lots in common here with BPL!

Swindiana

Newly Enlightened
Not a tail lockout, and not very neat (ad hoc experimenting), but it works and prevents accidental pocket turn ons.
smile.png

It's just a washer shaped a bit to fit around the button and to flush with the head edges. Don't ask about the paint. 8) On the next one I know what to do to make it look neater.
0KxnPr3.jpg