REAL WORLD REVIEWS – ThorFire VG15S

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
REAL WORLD REVIEWS – ThorFire VG15S
================================================================
A brief opening note about the "Real World Reviews"
At this point many fellow "flashaholics" have developed very sophisticated and detailed methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market. The "Real World Reviews" acknowledge the existence of the detailed technical reviews (and I'll link to them below if I can) but will not re-hash all of that tech data. Instead the focus of the "Real World Reviews" is to take that "laboratory" information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.
===============================================================

Technical Review (done by someone else):
Candlepower forums
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?432613-REVIEW-ThorFire-VG-15S-Flashlight
also
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?430044-Thorfire-VG15S-Review

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekyHWcHh4yM

===============================================================
Intended Use: Close to medium range EDC (0-100 yards)
Power Source: 1x 18650 Li-Pol battery (CR123A NOT supported due to heat buildup)
Average Cost: $25.00 (USD)

What you get:

· Simple but nicely laid out packaging
· ThorFire VG15S
· Two spare "O" rings
· Lobster Claw lanyard
· Basic documentation

Initial Impression(s):
This light is a very clean design with enough machined details to make it visually interesting, but nothing that is going to cause problems in use. The knurling is sufficient to give a grip but not aggressive enough to tear up a pocket. The same for the tail-cap and the bezel, both of which have an interesting shape, but are not sharp edged. The pocket clip on mine is extremely strong and tight. I think I would want to bend it just a slight bit to reduce tension if I were going to pocket carry it. I couldn't tell you specifically why, but I genuinely like the appearance of this particular light.

On the other hand, the tail-switch just feels weird to me. I don't think there is anything wrong with the design but something about the way it feels does not lend itself to consistent use when cycling through the modes. Operation becomes something of an acquired feel which is not especially easy if you are wearing gloves.

The design of the light allows for use of multiple different length 18650 cells including the longer protected cells I prefer to use. Even the shorter cells I tested were held firmly in place by the dual spring arrangement inside the light. I have a bit of concern that there doesn't appear to be any sort of reverse polarity protection so care must be used when inserting the battery to make sure it is aligned correctly.

The interface is a very straightforward reverse clicky on the tail. Because of the way ThorFire has designed the tail-cap it will tail stand even with a lanyard attached. In operation a full click turns the light on or off, and a half-click cycles the modes from low-to-high. A fast double click will trigger a strobe mode. The light does have memory and comes on at the same setting you last used. A very interesting thing I noticed was that the memory seems to remain even if you unscrew the tail-cap for a mechanical lockout. (I left it unscrewed a ¼ turn for 5 minutes to test). The tailcap button is large and easily found/used with gloves on but as I noted before cycling through the modes with gloves on is a challenge. I think this light would have been well served by a switch with a slightly longer throw.

The beam is what I would term a "tight-floodspot", which is to say it is a focused and controlled beam with a soft center hotspot, but this light is not really a "thrower" and spends a lot of its photon allotment in illuminating a large swath vs projecting downrange. I consider it exactly the correct beam pattern for a near-to-medium use EDC type of light giving you a very usable working area, but with enough light control to avoid blinding others (or waking up your spouse in the middle of the night).

The beam color on my sample is white biased towards the warm side. I find it very pleasant

There is one very interesting behavior that I don't think I've ever seen before. When you boost this light up to TURBO mode it really doesn't give very much more in the way of distance throw, rather it seems to mostly provide additional "coverage" and brightness within roughly the same range of about 90-100 yards that you have in Mode 4. It is actually a very handy effect, but not something I ever remember seeing before and illustrates the complexities of designing a reflector.

Output (Per manufacturer):
Mode 1 (0.5 Lumens/360hr): suitable for night in-house use or close up map reading.
Mode 2 (50 Lumens/22hr): suitable for indoor general use.
Mode 3 (200 Lumens/2.5hr): suitable for outdoor walking under most conditions.
Mode 4 (600 Lumens/1.25hr): suitable for outdoor medium range search
Mode 5 (1070 Lumens/TURBO*): suitable for outdoor medium range search

*Note: Mode 5 "Turbo" does heat up the light and is only intended for brief use. Timed Thermal regulation WILL kick in at 3 min to protect the light

================================================= =================================
The "Standard evening walk" begins with illuminating 3" reflector test targets affixed to trees in my back yard (see below) and then trying to identify the neutral brown trunks. The next segment takes place over either a 1.5 or a 2.5 mile loop on an unlit and mostly open grassy area with a few trees, and then ends going through a short, steep, uphill/downhill gravel trail surrounded by trees and heavy undergrowth which I call the "confidence course".

Target Test
Target 1: 30ft [10yd/09M].......... Well Illuminated in mode 2
Target 2: 60ft [20yd/18M].......... Illuminated in mode 2
Target 3: 120ft [40yd/36M]......... Illuminated in mode 3, Well illuminated in mode 4+
Target 4: 180ft [60yd/54M]......... Well Illuminated in mode 4+
Target 5: 300ft [100yd/91M]........ Faintly illuminated mode 5
Target 6: 450ft [150yd/137M]...... Beyond Designed Capability
Target 7: 600ft [200yd/182M]...... Beyond Designed Capability
Target 8: 750ft [250yd/228M]...... Beyond Designed Capability
================================================ ===================================

The Walk
The night was somewhat moonlit and extremely cold (6F/-14C) with no measurable wind. Although the "floodspot" beam of the VG15S could be used for walking in Mode 2 (50 Lumens/22hr), it was far more comfortable to use in Mode 3 (200 Lumens/2.5hr) which gave an absolutely fantastic beam illuminating a good swath of the path without having to "search" the flashlight back and forth. Mode 3 was also sufficient for the "confidence course" part of the walk giving more than enough light to ensure a safe "scramble" through the gravel section. The somewhat floody beam did a much better job than expected of punching through the shrubs and evergreens in the thickly grown area though when switched to "Turbo" mode I got a lot of bounce back from the leaves and the light was actually more useful in mode 3 or mode 4 in that particular situation.

I had some unexpected frustration when trying to operate this light with gloves on. The tail-switch throw is pretty short and I repeatedly turned the light off when I was trying to cycle through the modes. More an annoyance than an actual problem, but the manufacturer might really improve this product by designing a tail switch with a slightly longer throw.

After the walk I went into my garage and opened the hood of my car and just "looked around" doing the sort of normal checks and work you'd often use an EDC light for. It was fantastic for this function and the TURBO mode enabled clear viewing of even the smallest grease blackened corners and cracks. I also used the light to peek into a tower computer case, look inside a heating duct, and find a dropped pen under the couch. The light was handy and very functional for all of these tasks.

The lowest setting Mode 1 (0.5 Lumens/360hr) is right in the proper range for a night time "bathroom run". Combine the low light level with good beam control and I could move around the house without waking my spouse or my dog.

CONS:
· Button is a bit tricky. Needs a longer throw
· No apparent reverse-polarity protection (I didn't reverse a battery to test this)
· Throw is somewhat less than advertised for actually seeing things at night.
· Can't safely use CR123 cells. 18650 only (and I recommend PROTECTED cells)

PROS:
· Solid construction.
· Battery capacity is well balanced with the light modes for its intended use.
· Easy/intuitive interface.
· Excellent range of light levels for the intended use.
· Excellent spread of light levels, no severe jumps from one to the next.
· Inside its range, the light pattern and coverage are excellent.
· Great value for the price.

Summary:
Nicely done ThorFire! If the manufacturer can improve the tail-switch for a more defined feel when cycling functions I would give this light a full "5 photons". As it stands the switch is more of an annoyance than an actual problem. The rest of the design, beamshape, etc. all combine to give this light a pretty well balanced "EDC" feel and, especially considering the price, I think you could do a heck of a lot worse.

Final conclusion:
4 of 5 Photons (Recommended).