NE blizzard 1/4/18

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While Jack Frost has his icey vice grips tightly clamped onto much of the US, you guys are either getting hammered as this is typed or about to.

Best Regards. Be well and may your damages be slight.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the thread and your concern.:D

We[Philadelphia Suburbs ] are on the Western edge of the storm. Maybe 5"or 6" of snow. However, the wind and bitter cold to follow will be challenging for me and CAPO......actually a piece of cake for him!

The chill factor is suppose to be from 10 to 20 below zero for 48 hours,,,closer to 20 below where I live. I do not live in Upstate New York[Lake placid], Minnesota. Michigan, ect. However it still can get cold here. Regardless,CAPO and I still hit the trail 2X/day!

2 hours north in the Pococno Mts. and the temp can be 10 to 20 degrees colder!The other night it was 6F here and minus 11F in the Poconos.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to jinx anyone (including me), so far I don't hear much about power-outages. Hope we stay stable!

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally stopped snowing here in Central Jersey. I have lights and spare batteries standing by but I really do hope we don't lose power. It's too darned cold to deal with that tonight!

wweiss

Enlightened
Finally stopped snowing here in Central Jersey. I have lights and spare batteries standing by but I really do hope we don't lose power. It's too darned cold to deal with that tonight!

I hope so, too.
It's amazing what those two thin wires mean to us when we are worried about them....

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thread and your concern.:D

We[Philadelphia Suburbs ] are on the Western edge of the storm. Maybe 5"or 6" of snow. However, the wind and bitter cold to follow will be challenging for me and CAPO......actually a piece of cake for him!

The chill factor is suppose to be from 10 to 20 below zero for 48 hours,,,closer to 20 below where I live. I do not live in Upstate New York[Lake placid], Minnesota. Michigan, ect. However it still can get cold here. Regardless,CAPO and I still hit the trail 2X/day!

2 hours north in the Pococno Mts. and the temp can be 10 to 20 degrees colder!The other night it was 6F here and minus 11F in the Poconos.

ref the 'what is coming': since weather patterns in the US generally track from West to East, here are some samples of what is headed East:
I-94 strip at the MN/WI border: -17.3F air temp. confirmed at -18F by an analog instrumentation thermometer on my 2nd floor apt balcony.
Ely MN: -27 F air temp.
International Fall MN: -32 F air temp.

enjoy the anticipation even if those air temps will moderate as they drift east.

FWIW, having grown up in Northern MN, you can get used to -20F, but around -30F, most vehicles in the open air will not start, and most warm-blooded creatures are looking to burrow in the snow or people hide out in houses that by that temp will be reaching the limits of their furnace.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it was -12 (actual) this morning and -33 with wind chill.

Even though we are used to those temps, the boys and I still looked forward to a warm fire when we got back in the house this morning from our hour long walk.

Stay safe and stay warm, guys.

markr6

Flashaholic
FWIW, having grown up in Northern MN, you can get used to -20F, but around -30F, most vehicles in the open air will not start, and most warm-blooded creatures are looking to burrow in the snow or people hide out in houses that by that temp will be reaching the limits of their furnace.

What do people do with cars in that cold. Do engine block heaters help? I'd be afraid of going out and it not starting again.

I was considering going camping around Grayling, MI this weekend. Glad I postponed that one! -16° right now!

Capolini

Banned
I do not remember the name of the town. It was in Minnesota. About 3 days ago the ACTUAL low was -45F!!!:eek:

That is the weather CAPO'S ancestors endured in the Great serum Run of 1925. AMAZING those Dogs and mushers could survive that. Temperatures were actually -60F for some of the time. Chill Factors 90 below zero! I read this and more in my book,"The Cruelest Miles".

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering going camping around Grayling, MI this weekend. Glad I postponed that one! -16° right now!

I'm not too far from Grayling. It was not -16 (actual) at 9:30a today (with windchill maybe, but not actual).

Just curious as to where you heard those numbers?

It is -4 here now, -22 with windchill.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not too far from Grayling. It was not -16 (actual) at 9:30a today (with windchill maybe, but not actual).

Just curious as to where you heard those numbers?

It is -4 here now, -22 with windchill.

I keep that and some other cities in my weather channel app. Fun to open it each morning and get a rundown of about 10 cities I visit. Bunch of negative numbers lately!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real problem with the current storms that are so bothersome for the NE part of the US is that they simply are not used to such weather. wind, blowing snow, temps lower than +10 F are not common enough to instill a perception of need to have clothing that will keep them warm. They still want to look fashionable. um, when the temp goes below -18C or zero F, fashionable clothing is a distant memory. Only the neighbors to Mount Katahdin understand the normalcy of bad winter weather. or Mount Washington, but that is a weather research site.

to answer an earlier question, Embarass MN and Tower MN are considered the cold spots in MN, routinely vying for which location is colder. although International Falls MN is often used by car companies to test the cold weather survivability of their respective vehicles.

which is about the same competing relationship between Верхоянск and Оймяко́н in Siberia, essentially the 'Pole of Cold'. Those two villages are situated in a high plain with mountains blocking movement of the air-pressure high that sits over the top of them most of the year. Routine winter temps in Верхоянск are -40C to -50C and can achieve -60 C and lower. the inhabitants dress in coats with the skin on the outside and the fur on the inside. forget about looks. or, then there is Магадан and Ана́дырь in the far NorthWest of Russia, which are old exile towns from Tzarist or later part of the Gulag in Stalin times. Stories I have directly heard from Russians who survived the Gulag are astounding for their survivability.

IOW, If you dress for the winter weather, the weather is survivable. That might even mean a true mountain parka, which is actually 2 down coats one inside of the other. If the vehicles have headbolt heaters or magnetic oilpan heaters, battery heaters, and in routine temps past -20F to -30F synthetic oils are needed (dino-oils are not suitable), vehicles will start . in Fairbanks Alaska and farther north, some vehicles even have double-pane windshields. or away from shelter, you leave the engine running all the time.
lots of conditions. lots of time spent.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
I was backed into a snow bank today with my bucket truck, conditioning two pairs of phone lines for a 45meg internet service. The snow makes it a real pain to get to the poles without blocking the street. Anyway when working with 24 or 26 gauge wires you have to take your gloves off or at least wear thin tight gloves, when you are trying to find the correct wires in the group and splice them. Today it was 14F with a windchill of -4F. You try to work fast but the colder you fingers get the slower it goes and they get cold, stiff and painful real quick. It must be a real ***** doing this kind of work in the real cold places. On a more personal painful level, a belt in my snow blower broke and I had to do a lot more shoveling by hand than my back liked. Its yelling at me right now. Its saying, Damned fool why didn't you replace the belts last summer. It has a point.

Capolini

Banned
The real problem with the current storms that are so bothersome for the NE part of the US is that they simply are not used to such weather. wind, blowing snow, temps lower than +10 F are not common enough to instill a perception of need to have clothing that will keep them warm. They still want to look fashionable. um, when the temp goes below -18C or zero F, fashionable clothing is a distant memory. Only the neighbors to Mount Katahdin understand the normalcy of bad winter weather. or Mount Washington, but that is a weather research site.

to answer an earlier question, Embarass MN and Tower MN are considered the cold spots in MN, routinely vying for which location is colder. although International Falls MN is often used by car companies to test the cold weather survivability of their respective vehicles.

which is about the same competing relationship between Верхоянск and Оймяко́н in Siberia, essentially the 'Pole of Cold'. Those two villages are situated in a high plain with mountains blocking movement of the air-pressure high that sits over the top of them most of the year. Routine winter temps in Верхоянск are -40C to -50C and can achieve -60 C and lower. the inhabitants dress in coats with the skin on the outside and the fur on the inside. forget about looks. or, then there is Магадан and Ана́дырь in the far NorthWest of Russia, which are old exile towns from Tzarist or later part of the Gulag in Stalin times. Stories I have directly heard from Russians who survived the Gulag are astounding for their survivability.

IOW, If you dress for the winter weather, the weather is survivable. That might even mean a true mountain parka, which is actually 2 down coats one inside of the other. If the vehicles have headbolt heaters or magnetic oilpan heaters, battery heaters, and in routine temps past -20F to -30F synthetic oils are needed (dino-oils are not suitable), vehicles will start . in Fairbanks Alaska and farther north, some vehicles even have double-pane windshields. or away from shelter, you leave the engine running all the time.
lots of conditions. lots of time spent.

Your theory about NE'ers is NOT totally true. It depends where you live, where you use to live and what experience you have in the outdoors. As I mentioned in other posts on this thread and NPB's thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,We may not be Minnesota. Michigan ect,,,,,,,,but we can still get cold weather here. We have had weather like this plenty times before. Maybe not 16 days in a row below freezing,but we have had this weather for stretches.

I was born in Cleveland,gets pretty cold there. Lived in western,PA.near SMETHPORT which holds the record for coldest temp. in PA......MINUS 46F!!:eek:

You only need to drive a few hours from here in the Mts. and the temp. can be 10 to 20 degrees colder.

I have been to Lake Placid, N.Y numerous times where I hiked in Minus 19F weather! You have to know what to wear,that simple!

So, the average Joe and Mary just stay inside,they are not outdoors men, Flashaholics or adventurists!

Here is me tonight!!!! Chill factor was minus 5.

The BELOW ZERO Trail Master!
below_zero_Trailmaster.jpg

Illumination courtesy of TX25C2vn V3 XPG2 DD/SINGLE MODE!

below_zero_trailmaster.3333333.jpg

TK75vn QUAD STT40 SD

quad_1.5.2018.2.jpg

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^

You are correct! I was thinking more of the inhabitants of the coastal area from about Boston down past Philly. I lived in Rochester NY and Syracuse NY and spent some time in the FingerLakes area and skirted the Adirondacks. I stand corrected for the inaccuracy! Thanks!

Plus, lake effect snow can be amazing. and this year Erie PA was simply dumped on.
as a kid when the town did not know what to do with the snow, the snow was plowed to the center of the road, and then a front-end loader piled it up higher.
we had fun tunneling thru the pile - kinda dangerous on a road, but .. kids are kids.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I was backed into a snow bank today with my bucket truck, conditioning two pairs of phone lines for a 45meg internet service. The snow makes it a real pain to get to the poles without blocking the street. Anyway when working with 24 or 26 gauge wires you have to take your gloves off or at least wear thin tight gloves, when you are trying to find the correct wires in the group and splice them. Today it was 14F with a windchill of -4F. You try to work fast but the colder you fingers get the slower it goes and they get cold, stiff and painful real quick. It must be a real ***** doing this kind of work in the real cold places. On a more personal painful level, a belt in my snow blower broke and I had to do a lot more shoveling by hand than my back liked. Its yelling at me right now. Its saying, Damned fool why didn't you replace the belts last summer. It has a point.
The old bonded pair (formally the inid) :)

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
What do people do with cars in that cold. Do engine block heaters help? I'd be afraid of going out and it not starting again.

Well, it does not usually get that cold in central Germany, but I still installed a heating system in my car, mostly to keep cold start wear down.
I installed a heating pump in the primary (small) coolant circuit, and a silicon heating mat at the oil pan. I also have an electric heater in the cabin. I switch it on 30min before departure, and have a cozy warm car right from the start. 0W40 oil helps as well.
In more extreme temperatures, I would additionally install a small battery heating pad and a little charger to keep it topped off.

LGT

Enlightened
The real problem with the current storms that are so bothersome for the NE part of the US is that they simply are not used to such weather. wind, blowing snow, temps lower than +10 F are not common enough to instill a perception of need to have clothing that will keep them warm. They still want to look fashionable.

Kind of a narrow minded, and insulting, statement to sum up all who live on the coast in the NE as just trying to be fashionable in the cold weather. I live on the south coast of Massachusetts, have worked with many who have experienced the same conditions I have. Be it single digit cold with the snow blowing sideways, traveling to upstate NY for winter storm restoration, or going to Canada in the aftermath of the 1998 icestorm where daytime high temps were -14. Some of us really do know how to prepare and dress for the worst weather which we will spend hours working in to get your lights back on.

But I do agree that there are many who just do not have any idea how to dress for the weather.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Kind of a narrow minded, and insulting, statement to sum up all who live on the coast in the NE as just trying to be fashionable in the cold weather. I live on the south coast of Massachusetts, have worked with many who have experienced the same conditions I have. Be it single digit cold with the snow blowing sideways, traveling to upstate NY for winter storm restoration, or going to Canada in the aftermath of the 1998 icestorm where daytime high temps were -14. Some of us really do know how to prepare and dress for the worst weather which we will spend hours working in to get your lights back on.

But I do agree that there are many who just do not have any idea how to dress for the weather.

Agreed - it was a couched insult to the NE...