Surveillance...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Does anyone else here on CPF have a house next door that in eleven days has had 22 different vehicles in front of it for from many days for some of them to mere minutes for many?

2 tonight were only there for maybe 10 minutes each.

I am compiling a list of license numbers for my Police cousin to take to a friend in narcotics!!!

Anyone else even KNOW of a private residence where you might see over 20 different cars in 10 days?

bwcaw

Enlightened
What are you doing looking out the windows when you could be in a dark basement playing with flashlights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
my friends neighbors are in the same situation...
writes down liscense plates, etc. to my knowlege, it doesn't seem to be doing a lot of good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

it's certainly a good idea to keep track of things and do what you can to help the cops out, but the best thing you can do is have the facilities to protect yourself and your family!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, had one of those next door to me when I was in high school. Few months later the place was raided, house was confiscated and went up for sale via HUD.

We were in a nice neighborhood, not the stereotypical setting for drug dealers.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile, maybe it would be a good idea to pick up a Tigerlight 11" with some extra OC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
If it's a rental,talk to the land lord. They may really want to know what's going on. I've also personally confronted residents,in a friendly but pointed way-- but that's a total judgement call. Both tactics have worked for me when I lived in bigger/rougher cities.They moved on.I'm still alive.
I know nothing about Houston neighborhoods,except around the museum district.The police may be aware of possible illicit activity at that house--ask.
You may be the catalyst that removes some scum from your block.

Greta

Flashaholic
Joe... when did you move to Lake Havasu City? And when did you move two houses up from me?!?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i live like 1 block from projects i deal with a lot of low lifes.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... All the time when I lived in Phoenix; my old neighborhood was taken over by mexican gangs about a year after we bought the house.....

But the weird thing is, I live in RICH neighborhood now (not that I have any money myself) in a resort town, and one of my "across the street" neighbors has even worse traffic.. like 20-40 different cars in ONE day.

Once I saw a caravan of eight identical shiny new black SUVs going up there... (That is what really got me noticing things). Thought it might be the Secret Service as the President was spending some time in the general area, but the Secret Service doesn't use MEXICAN license plates, I don't think.

This neighbor owns three golf courses and raises racing quarter-horses, but I think he has a little "side business" going too.... most of his visitors aren't there long enough to be checking out the horses.

I keep my eyes open, but never see anything that is more than merely suspicious

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Well kids...

I should NOT even be awake, but....

About three hours ago there was a shooting next door. One of the perps was shot, probably in the head.

I've been outside for almost three hours meeting neighbors and watching the proceedings!

At least two bullets hit the house across the street from that one. One went through a garage window, the other went through the front door... down the hall... through the patio door SHATTERING it... and stopped at a plant pot.

The local news was here, and toured the house across the street. If I am in any shot, it's a loong one.

The homeowner, (it's a lease) is going to get two or three dozen earfulls! I think maybe they won't be there much longer....

Negeltu

Enlightened
"Rich" neighborhoods are perfect places to find drug activity. Who else has alot of money to blow on such things?

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
When I lived in Amityville....

The good part of town was near the horror house, I was in the bad part of town, North Amityville. We ended up with a crack house across the street.

Lots of short term visitors.
If the front light was on, they were out of stock.
If the light was out, brisk sales.

If you have a police scanner, see if they are using a cordless phone in the house (search 49.5mhz to 49.99mhz). You can't beleive just how stupid these people are. Also drug dealers are rather willing to use violence to get their way.

I kept a loaded shotgun under the bed for just that reason.

The real problem is not the police, it's the laws of evidence in this country. They have to be caught selling to the police, and dealers are smart enough usually to avoid doing that.

I moved out before the first murder victem was found there. By about a week.

When I was living in another community there was another crack house in a very expensive area (300k+). After a few raids the town got it's act togther.

On a sunday morning,
the police raided the place and took the adults.
child protective services took the kids.
the housing inspector came in and comdemed the property.

Before the adults got out of the county lockup, there was a fire in the building.

The local fire department was slow to respond. (with 8 members within two blocks of the subject home). By the time the adults got out of jail all they had to go home to was a smoking pile of ash. The place had burned to the ground. Now the property is in the hands of good families and the drug dealers are someplace else.

Justice is something a community has to work at when the laws are stupid.

So think carefully.

Be well
Jack Crow in Iraq

ps I also had an informal thing called "The Greater Greenlawn comittie for asthetic deleations".

The best thing we ever did was 'turn off' an alarm that had been ringing for hours. We had applause from the bar across the street after the 'action', did a bow and waked off.

An idea from a Hineline book.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
wow, talk about exciting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not exciting. A sports game is exciting. This is down right ludicrous. I have in the past gathered neighbor support, and the police got tired of so many calls they did something about it. I am glad that I didn't wait until the bullets started flying into my house. You might not be a cop or an investigator, but neither do you have to be an english professor to read a book!

chalo

Newly Enlightened
I hesitate to point out the obvious, but...

...doesn't this point up the folly of drug prohibition? I mean, folks don't shoot each other over matters of beer and cigs at the corner mini-mart!

All I've ever seen from the "war on drugs" is just that; people killed, lives ruined, and communities destroyed.

Chalo Colina

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
bravo, i never said it was a good thing, i said it was exciting...
an intentional understatement, but true nontheless

if nothing else, this hopefully opened up an oppurtunity for the police to close in on these people...

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
chalo,
Surely you do not think that if we can not stop something that is illegal we should make it legal.

Laws reflect the moral values of a society. Since recreational drugs, and I am not referring to prescription medication, are immoral then we should not legalize them.

The fact that some do not obey them does not change the fact that they are bad, and would be bad for society if legalized.
I think the penalties should be harsher, but I realize that no penalty will keep some from doing the crime. We just have to look at murder and rape to see that, but we do not legalize those acts because some continue to do them.

I might add that alcohol is probably the most harmful drug that is available to society today.

Jerry

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
chalo,
Surely you do not think that if we can not stop something that is illegal we should make it legal.

Laws reflect the moral values of a society. Since recreational drugs, and I am not referring to prescription medication, are immoral then we should not legalize them.

The fact that some do not obey them does not change the fact that they are bad, and would be bad for society if legalized.
I think the penalties should be harsher, but I realize that no penalty will keep some from doing the crime. We just have to look at murder and rape to see that, but we do not legalize those acts because some continue to do them.

I might add that alcohol is probably the most harmful drug that is available to society today.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like Roe v Wade on the abortion,
or perhaps the repeal on prohibition of the 20's.
I don't think morality is the basis of our laws. Our judicial system has always been balancing between, money, and personal liberties.

The war on drugs to include soft drugs is the most rediculous farce our nation has manifested to date! we have the government spending trillions of dollars on drugs, and trillions of dollars to wage this war. Our prisons are over crowded because we have the marijuana user doing time, and politicians in office that are doing cocaine.

Want to end the budget deficit, lower crime? Stop this insanity on soft drug users, go after the chemical manufacturers. Make a 3 time felon a life long inmate, take away the tv sets, and put em back to work on the road gangs.
Close down, or convert the now unused prisons (because with these two actions crime will drop) to learning centers, clubs for kids, and so on.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chalo said:
I hesitate to point out the obvious, but...

...doesn't this point up the folly of drug prohibition? I mean, folks don't shoot each other over matters of beer and cigs at the corner mini-mart!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as a matter of fact, shootings over cigarettes is not all that unusual (and we, of course, remember Prohibition in the US--a period in which the murder rate doubled from 5 to 10/100,000 then back to 5/100k in the years after Prohibition was repealed)... In this case, especially when New York raised taxes tremendously...

This article is a bit long--but it seems to cover all of the cause and effects whenever our government try's to both do something for our own good, and get a bunch of revenue at the same time... DEADLY WAR FOR BOOTLEG SMOKES

[ QUOTE ]
NY Post
December 10, 2003

Two people have been murdered and two others shot in separate acts of violence tied to a surge in cigarette bootlegging that has rocked the Big Apple in the aftermath of the whopping cigarette tax hike.

The allure of easy profit - as much as $50 per carton - has drawn to the lucrative illegal cigarette trade a variety of criminals, from Russian thugs in Brighton Beach to gangs in Chinatown to suspects with ties to the terror group Hezbollah, police and federal officials say.

And now the rival factions are setting their beefs with guns and knives:

* Sherwin Henry, 23, who was re-selling cigarettes bought in bulk from a Long Island Indian reservation, was fatally shot in the head on the rooftop of an East New York, Brooklyn, apartment building on Nov. 19.

* Cody Knox 19, was chased down through a crowd and stabbed to death in broad daylight near Brooklyn's Fulton Mall in a cigarette-selling turf dispute.

* A 25-year-old Bronx man, whose name was withheld, was shot at 1304 Miriam Ave. in another turf war.

* Desmond Jordan, 34, was shot twice allegedly by William Giddens, 45, last May 17 in front of 24 Humboldt St. in yet another battle.

"You can liken this to narcotics trafficking; there are people who buy in bulk, then break it down and distribute to stores or to street dealers who sell them by the cigarette," said Garry McCarthy, the NYPD's deputy commissioner for operations.

The NYPD created a unit called the Cigarette Indiction Group (CIG) to deal with the "anticipated" upturn in "buttlegging" immediately after the city passed a $1.50-a-pack tax increase in July 2002 - an extraordinary 1,900 percent jump from 8 cents a pack.

Since then, the six-member CIG unit has made 146 arrests, seized six cars, $250,000 in cash and 30,000 cartons (6 million) cigarettes - and their work does not include the more than 1,000 cigarette-related collars made by the city's patrol cops, McCarthy said.

McCarthy said the lucrative trafficking and the comparatively modest sanctions suggested the schemes could continue, as could the bloodshed.

"Any money-making scheme will branch into violence," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a Google search on Cigarettes smuggle +shot and see the world wide ramification of this crime (in this case, I am referring to government "sin" taxes).

I don't care if it alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, integrated circuits, Rolex watches, DVD's, gold, magic mushrooms, whatever... Anytime there is a high potential for profit we seem to have the perfect storm of government, bad guys, and innocent bystanders all mixed together.

At some point, the government greed sugar-coated with trying "to save people from themselves" is going to destroy our current civilization... if it hasn't begun already.

-Bill