USB rechargeable flashlight for car?

bltkmt

Enlightened
I would like a rechargeable light to keep in the car, with an external micro USB port - that way I can keep it topped off. Looking for suggestions. Also, should I have any concerns keeping this type of light in the car in hot/cold climate?

Thanks in advance.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I would like a rechargeable light to keep in the car, with an external micro USB port - that way I can keep it topped off. Looking for suggestions. Also, should I have any concerns keeping this type of light in the car in hot/cold climate?

Thanks in advance.

I know it's not micro usb however it is a really good option. The olight S2R Baton.

You can buy on amazon for $44.50 with coupon code From slickdeals. Just search Olight S2R. Mine comes in the mail today.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Thanks - really want USB chargeable so that I can keep it topped off in car and not have to worry about swapping batteries.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Thanks. As to my second question, are rechargeable l-ions safe to keep in a car for extended periods with large temperature variations?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks. As to my second question, are rechargeable l-ions safe to keep in a car for extended periods with large temperature variations?

Are you asking about safety risk, reduced performance, or both ?

What will be the maximum and minimum temps seen by the cells (and note that this may well differ from ambient outdoor conditions) ?

What might be the largest temp swing over, say, any given 24 hour period ?

Are you specifically considering either a single cell setup, a multi-cell setup, or both ?

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Thanks - really want USB chargeable so that I can keep it topped off in car and not have to worry about swapping batteries.

It is usb rechargeable. Not micro, but it is recharged using magnetic charger.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Are you asking about safety risk, reduced performance, or both ?

What will be the maximum and minimum temps seen by the cells (and note that this may well differ from ambient outdoor conditions) ?

What might be the largest temp swing over, say, any given 24 hour period ?

Are you specifically considering either a single cell setup, a multi-cell setup, or both ?

Both safety and performance, really. I live in CT, so temp swings can be extreme throughout the year. If rechargeable l-ions are not the right choice for keeping in car, what type is better?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Both safety and performance, really. I live in CT, so temp swings can be extreme throughout the year. If rechargeable l-ions are not the right choice for keeping in car, what type is better?
The following are some general principles ...

• extreme heat is dangerous for all types of lithium chemistries (primaries and rechargeables)

• heat can increase rate(s) of alkaline primaries leaking

• heat accelerates cell aging, especially at or near full charge

• cold generally reduces (immediate) performance

• extremes of temperature fluctuation can accelerate cell aging, relatively slowly (via chemical processes, somewhat similar to charge/discharge cycling) and/or quickly (via physical processes, such as crystal formation or seal failure)

• conditions promoting condensation and/or corrosion (eg, humidity, maritime environment) are bad for cells, electronics, etc

• multi-cell setups have risk of cell mismatch, and those risks are greatly increased under suboptimal environmental storage conditions

Although an optimal solution would depend upon your exact particular conditions and needs, generally speaking, single cell lithium primaries may be preferred for a fairly broad range of these challenging situations.

NiMH (low self discharge type) is a reasonable rechargeable alternative for a similar broad range of conditions.

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
In my car I keep a cheap but tough kootek with a lap top salvaged Samsung 24E ICR18650 in it. We've been colder than -20F and it's operating perfectly. It's been 6 weeks since I charged the battery and the olight UCC charger topped it off in under 10 minutes today. It's about the same middle of the summer.

I have a usb micro usb in the car all the time, a spare olight S,H1R charge cable and the olight UCC for nimh and my other rechargeables. If someone has but one light and wants to charge in the car the olight UCC is the way to go. It'll do everything other than my olight with the +\- on the same side.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of right now, I tend to use lights that take lithium chemistry (either CR123 or the Lithium AA batteries) and keep a spare set in a carrier in the glovebox.
If someone has determined that something like a type of 18650 will work well also then I'm all for that.

I do have a small but fairly thick fleece bag that a windstopper jacket came in and I put the car lights in that bag to try and moderate the temperatures both hot and cold in the glovebox.

Wicho

Enlightened
Pelican 7600 or 7100. Don't know if it's okay to leave them plugged in all the time though. 7600 will also run on two CR123 cells with the included carrier, 7100 with a AA.

I keep a G2X with spare cells and a Pelican 2370 with eneloops and a spare set of lithium AA in each car. Also have a Protac 2AA in the cars.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend something using lithium primaries as the dead-of summer/winter option. Safer than rechargeable. I keep a Lumintop Tool using an Energizer lithium cell in my cars during summer. They are small, cheap ($20) and just work.
There are a ton of larger lights that use primary CR123As and would be the same thing, just bigger.
If you want to go rechargeable, I have a Klarus XT2CR rechargeable light I keep in my car sometimes. It has micro USB recharging, or CR123As can be used instead during bad temps.
There are many other lights that have micro USB and primary cell compatibility. Those would be wise considerations.

A couple other things... consider beam shape and tint. If you need to identify wires under hood, something that's super cool blue tint will make color differentiation hard. If you need to see a tight spot in your engine bay, or some roadkill you think you hit 100 meters back, a floody beam will be bad. But if you're lighting up a driveway or parking light, floody beam wins.

Oh, and either do the micro USB light or not; don't bother with the batteries that have their own charge port. Taking the cell out is a hassle and leaves it vulnerable to damage or shorting while in the car (contact with coins, keys, phones, whatever is in your console or cupholders, etc.)

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a micro USB rechargeable flashlight for a car makes a lot of sense. It's just far easier to charge up a device by plugging it in to a common charger that you already need for your smart phone.

As for leaving it in a car, I think that's fine for most of the year. Lithium-ion 18650 cells list a safe storage temperature from -20C to +60C.

On a hot summer day in full sun, it's possible (perhaps even likely depending where you live) that the car's glovebox will heat up to more than 60C. That won't cause your battery to explode or anything, but it will likely cause it to age quicker, and lose capacity. Not a big deal if you replace the battery every couple of years, but it might not last 5 years.

If you live somewhere that regularly gets below -20C in the winter, that will have an impact on how long you can run your light on a full charge. You'll get about half the run-time at -20C than you would at normal room temperature. If it gets much colder than that, the light might not even turn on. And, as with heat, it's possible that extreme cold might cause the battery to age prematurely. Oh, and don't charge the battery if it's below freezing! That is unsafe.

For best safety, use a protected 18650 cell.

Okay, for bestest safety, don't use lithium batteries at all, and use something like rechargeable NiMH Eneloops. Same temperature range as lithium-ion, but a very stable chemistry. But, you likely won't find a flashlight with built-in micro USB recharging.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Thanks all, for the helpful suggestions. If I were to go with a light powered by Eneloops, are there any that have an external USB charging port like the L-ion ones do? I am trying to avoid having to take the battery out to charge - again want something that I can simply charge in the car periodically.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek Elf C1 headlamp - I keep headlamps in the car. Much more useful in my opinion.