I Ordered a NiteCore MT20A

ericjohn

Enlightened
Earlier in the week I found a NiteCore MT20A on eBay for $36.44 and free shipping.

If all goes well it should be arriving at my place in the mail tomorrow.

This is the second NiteCore flashlight I purchase, my first being the MT06.

I like it because it seems to be a much cheaper alternative to the Sure Fire Aviator (something I've coveted since 2009.)

But it runs on 2 AA batteries instead of those pricey Lithium camera batteries.

It has a max output of 360 Lumens on the main white lite, but it also has a secondary red light, for preserving night vision.

I don't think this flashlight is heavily marketed to pilots, but it could possibly be.

...Since about 2014 I have had this fantasy going through my mind where a thirty four year old man and his slightly older lady friend with whom he is seriously in love, are in a Cessna aircraft over the western United States or Canada on a summer's night. The aircraft belongs to pilot couple that is friends with the lady and she is introducing her boyfriend to them on a night flight. At first, they are leery of him, and his quirks until all the instruments and avionics in the plane go haywire because of all the static electricity in the atmosphere and there is a storm on the horizon, which the man finds out about because he is tuning around on his Midland HH50B pocket weather radio to see how many weather stations he can pick up from in the plane while in flight. At first I wanted to have the impress his lady friend and her pilot friends with a simple incandescent 2 AA Mini Maglite that he was edcing at the time, which he probably will still have one of those, but then recently I discovered the said NiteCore flashlight a few weeks ago and that will be the one he uses to light up the cockpit and to locate their portable aircraft band radio in the flight bag so the pilot couple can read their instruments/radio the tower and safely land the plane at the closest airstrip. This was all possible because of the red LED on his MT20A...After they get on the ground in one piece the pilot couple tells the lady to "marry that man!"...

Hopefully someday, I'll write that story soon and post it on my blog when I do.

I have a wild imagination.

There is a forum I get on that is dedicated to writing known as "The Writer's Beat."

I also used to frequent "Legend Fire", until it was discontinued...

Anyway, I could not find any video reviews on You Tube about the MT20A, but I do enjoy my MT06, except that the pocket clip gets bent out of shape really easily.

Does anyone else use one these flashlights?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an MT20A but I do have a MT20C (the 18650 version). What I like about them is the up/dn mode select button. The MT20C is one of my favorite lights. I thought it strange that Nitecore would put an XP-G2 in a 18650 light. I did end up changing out the XP-G2 LED for an XP-L though.........but that's another story. The XP-G2 in the MT20A is a good fit for a 2xAA light. I have a couple of Nitecore MT22A lights which I like a lot for their price. I imagine the MT20A has similar performance. I think you will be happy with the MT20A.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always good to have a 2 AA light around when traveling. Always find batteries. But they hold no fascination for me these days. To...old school. And they don't tail stand well for providing a night light in a strange hotel room.

As far as your fantasy...hero with a red flashlight romance story...don't expect it to make the best seller list.

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
I don't have an MT20A but I do have a MT20C (the 18650 version). What I like about them is the up/dn mode select button. The MT20C is one of my favorite lights. I thought it strange that Nitecore would put an XP-G2 in a 18650 light. I did end up changing out the XP-G2 LED for an XP-L though.........but that's another story. The XP-G2 in the MT20A is a good fit for a 2xAA light. I have a couple of Nitecore MT22A lights which I like a lot for their price. I imagine the MT20A has similar performance. I think you will be happy with the MT20A.

I've had it for two hours already and I am definitely enjoying it.

This flashlight lives up to its specs and more!

I'm starting to like NiteCore about as much as I like Maglite!

ericjohn

Enlightened
Always good to have a 2 AA light around when traveling. Always find batteries. But they hold no fascination for me these days. To...old school. And they don't tail stand well for providing a night light in a strange hotel room.

As far as your fantasy...hero with a red flashlight romance story...don't expect it to make the best seller list.

He's not a hero, he's just really trying to get his lady friend to love him in return.

I don't plan for it to make a best seller list anyway, it's just a fantasy that has been going on in my head for almost four years or so.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I've been using this flashlight for over two hours.

When I hold it in my hand it is as if I feel a surge of power.

It truly lives up to its specs and more!

I don't know if I'll ever save the day with this flashlight, but I am definitely adding it to my edc gear!

Why can't American companies make something like this?

ericjohn

Enlightened
I did indeed write a short story about a man saving the day (night rather) with his NiteCore MT20A and other EDC items.

I initially wrote it on February 3, 2018, but it had been floating around in my mind since about 2014.

It is right now on my blog and I just posted it to The Writer's Beat as well.

https://ericjohn1987.wordpress.com/2018/02/03/a-short-romance-story-involving-edc-gear/

I plan to be posting it somewhere on here (Candle Power Forums) as well...

As for my NiteCore MT20A, it is my current EDC light, paired with a Leatherman Style PS...

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
I've been using this flashlight for over two hours.

When I hold it in my hand it is as if I feel a surge of power.

It truly lives up to its specs and more!

I don't know if I'll ever save the day with this flashlight, but I am definitely adding it to my edc gear!

Why can't American companies make something like this?

Ive noticed here on these forums that Nitecore products tend to be pretty well received. I have a P12GT which I absolutely love. Its a little bigger than I would like for EDC, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The 3400mAh 18650 battery I use in it seems to last forever before needing a charge.