Prometheus        

Thread: Opinion-I have yet to see any multi tool that is not an ergonomic nightmare.

Default Opinion-I have yet to see any multi tool that is not an ergonomic nightmare.

Think about it. I have a SAK one handed Trekker and a Leatherman Skeletool, another larger Leatherman that I cannot remember the model name of, Husky multi tools as well.

Jam packing so much into such a compact package makes them in my own hands next to useless. The SAK one handed Trekker? Well built, awesome thumb hole one handed opening blade and a surprisingly effective wood saw. The rest ergonomically in my hands are useless.

The more tools that are jammed into any multi tools the harder they are for most to use.

This is actually a long running category of multi tools that fold into metal rectangles that are hard to hold on to especially when attempting to use any of the smaller tools correctly.

I will post pics of the multi tools I have that I can find in my house to illustrate what I am talking about before midnight on 1/8 after I get home from work.

Thoughts? I know many have just used these things for so long their own muscle memory adapted to them over the course of years.

What multi tools of any size or manufacturer do you find high value, well designed and actually practical for whatever use YOU use one for?

Default Re: Opinion-I have yet to see any multi tool that is not an ergonomic nightmare.

SwissTool, specifically the Spirit line, are about the most comfortable I've found.

By definition, however, when you decide to go with a "multi-tool" inevitably you are compromising on optimal "mono-tool" ergos.

Myself, I EDC a small toolkit with a few common (non-multi) tools, more often than I specifically carry a multitool ....
    Last edited by archimedes; 01-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Opinion-I have yet to see any multi tool that is not an ergonomic nightmare.

I EDC a Leatherman Juice CS4 for work, and have for years. The screwdrivers can be awkward to use, but it beats going back out to the truck. I find the saw and scissors really useful, and sometimes I need a short screwdriver which I don't carry in my tool belt.

They are not ideal for anything, but are good enough for many things that I use them often at work. I have carried a LM Wingman for a few years, and just upgraded to a LM OHT. This truly is a one handed tool as everything including the pliers can be accessed one handed. The tools are on the outside so you don’t have to unfold it to use it. It’s large and kinda heavy but it works well and on a tool belt you don’t notice an extra ounce or two anyways.

I have been carrying a Leatherman multi tool since the early 80s. Bought my first one while I was in the Army serving in Central America and I think that is one of the original 83 model. I still have it. I have purchased and carried several models since. I love them. Yes, they are a compromise. But I have found them all useful. My current favorite is the Wave model. It is the most comfortable of all the models. The tool bits are useful and the blades hold a good edge.

Here is a brief rundown on my models.

The original 83 model I have used from everything to prying fuel caps open to skinning squirrels. What can I say... it’s the model that got me addicted. My only fault with that model was the lack of a locking blade or tools.

The first “Super” tool I bought because of the locking blades and tools. It was a very handy tool I carried for many years. One of my favorites and I still have it.

The PST 2 I bought because of the scissors. It is still the only scissor set that I like. The tool is small and lightweight and I sometimes carry it in my hip pocket when I don’t want or need the belt sheath.

The wave is my favorite. I can access the locking blades without opening the tool and I only need one hand. The pliers are the most comfortable in my hand. The extra tool bits are quite useful. My only problem is it gets a bit heavy on my belt.

Wanting something smaller for pocket carry I purchased 2 “ juice” models off eBay. One is a bit big and I think it is an XL model. I keep that one in my car. The other model is much smaller and lighter and it is what I call my gentleman knife. I carry it in my pocket on Sundays. The scissors work good, but the can opener is a bit flimsy when compared to other LM models. The knife holds a good edge.

If I was going to make a recommendation, I would choose the wave first, then the super tool.

[QUOTE=archimedes;

Myself, I EDC a small toolkit with a few common (non-multi) tools, more often than I specifically carry a multitool ....[/QUOTE]

Never really needed a multitool available on me (although do have the Leatherman Micra and a big Gerber), but the workpack has the Gerber (almost never used) and the smallest Visegrip and smallest Crescent wrench, along with a screwdriver with different bits (plus a micro screwdriver multibit). A small can opener is also in there. The screwdriver is used the most, followed by the Visegrip and Crescent wrench.
    Pocket knife and illumination are always onboard.

I have a couple traditional Leatherman tools... a Wave and a Supertool 200. While I think they are clever and good for combining lots of useful tools in a small package, I don’t carry them often for EDC/hiking/camping because they are heavy. For around the same weight, a large SAK with locking blade, paired with small channel lock pliers, has the tools I need with better ergonomics. The Leatherman has the advantage of more tools (file, saw, more screwdrivers, etc.) that my SAK doesn’t cover, but I find the SAK tools to be more accessible and comfortable than their counterparts on the Leatherman. Plus, channel lock pliers are more versatile (and for me, more useful) than the needle nose design of the traditional Leatherman tool.

If I was an electrician, or otherwise carried a multi tool for work, I might feel differently.

A small case can comfortably carry ...

• Vic ratchet and small bit kit
    • tiny screwdriver / bit-driver
    • two pair of pliers
    • adjustable wrench
    • metal pocket rule
    • can opener, bottle opener
    • USB connector
    • couple of pens

... with various brights and sharps elsewhere.

Not sure I have photos of everything at the moment, but here are some samples ...

Last edited by archimedes; 01-07-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: photo tags fixed, thanks :)
    ... is the archimedes peak

I use various Victorinox/Wenger SAK everyday last 30+ years - all feel just perfect in my hands, IMHO very comfortable for extended use.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    By definition, however, when you decide to go with a "multi-tool" inevitably you are compromising on optimal "mono-tool" ergos.
    This. Multi tools are typically merely serviceable for most of the tools they advertise. Some of the primary tools - i.e. the pliers - will tend to work better than secondary tools such as punches, wire strippers, scissors. The cost of compromise.

Bit they're better than nothing. I see them as presenting the potential to deal with unanticipated or casual situations where one would need a tool, but a marginal substitute for purpose built tools.

Myself, I EDC a small toolkit with a few common (non-multi) tools, more often than I specifically carry a multitool ....
    I keep the multitools in bugout bags, with the camping gear, junk drawers, and vehicles. In the latter case, they supplement proper tool kits (socket sets, screwdriver with bits). Save for any situation where I unexpectedly leave my residence or vehicle, I have more ... real ... tools available. I've sort of accepted that they're things I bought years ago before I appreciated the actual utility offered. Keep them around because Reasons™ but rarely use them any more.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I like multitools for the occasional task because sometimes it's the best thing I have around (at work for example when it's not something typical). However, yes, I wouldn't start a project with one if I'm at home and can just go get some dedicated tools out for the job. Also when traveling it has made my life much easier multiple times in the past. For camping I'm on the fence. I see the potential utility but at the same time have very rarely actually needed one and would usually rather carry my folding knife instead. So my wife and I will often trade off so one of us carries a folder and the other carries a multitool.

SwissTool, specifically the Spirit line, are about the most comfortable I've found...

+1.

People know you're there to get sh*t done when you pull out a multitool.

I carry a SAK these days. The best easiest to use multi tool for me was the Gerber 600 series. I still have a couple of them floating around...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    I carry a SAK these days. The best easiest to use multi tool for me was the Gerber 600 series. I still have a couple of them floating around...
    The older Gerber 600 tools didn’t have the ability to lock the blade open, but that’s never stopped me. The pliers in the Gerber are the best in class.

For high end multitools, the Victoriox Swiss Champ. I’ve owned a Swiss Champ since the late 1980’s. The knife with the rest of the kit was close to $150 back then.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.