MecArmy SGN3, MecArmy SGN3VN or Olight Ion

Daso

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, It has been a while since I've been on the board and in the mood for a new keychain piece. I've been torn between the Olight Ion, MecArmy SGN3 and now seeing that there is a VN model I'm really torn. I found the mecarmy because I also collect vintage watches and I use a UV light to check the old tritium lume on vintage watches. The Olight seems very cool and the mecarmy seems more practical. I've heard that the UV output on the Mecarmy is pretty weak, so I'm not sure it's worth considering it for that reason. Any thoughts? Is the a VN Ion? Thanks. Any other great suggestions or options would be great too. I'd prefer to max at $50 but I still have my very reliable ITP A3 EOS upgraded with 350 MAH Li Ion battery which lasts forever between charges and is still just a little champ of a light at 80 lumens maxed.

Daso

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, It has been a while since I've been on the board and in the mood for a new keychain piece. I've been torn between the Olight Ion, MecArmy SGN3 and now seeing that there is a VN model I'm really torn. I found the mecarmy because I also collect vintage watches and I use a UV light to check the old tritium lume on vintage watches. The Olight seems very cool and the mecarmy seems more practical. I've heard that the UV output on the Mecarmy is pretty weak, so I'm not sure it's worth considering it for that reason. Any thoughts? Is the a VN Ion? Thanks. Any other great suggestions or options would be great too. I'd prefer to max at $50 but I still have my very reliable ITP A3 EOS upgraded with 350 MAH Li Ion battery which lasts forever between charges and is still just a little champ of a light at 80 lumens maxed.
I forgot to mention I have my Atom VN which i love but I don't end up carrying as much and gets a bit hot for extended use.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The only one of the three you've listed above that I have is the MecArmy SGN3 ... and I do rather like it :)

It is one of only a very few "multi-color" output keyring-sized flashlights.

Given the limitations inherent to its tiny UV emitter, I would not consider the output underpowered.

Some links to start researching your other questions, here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?411992-*New*-MecArmy-SGN3-keychain-light

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?415217-SGN3vn-Keychain-UV-Red-amp-White

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-10th-Year-Titanium-Gorilla-Glass-Flashlight

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
I have the ION. As much as I like it, it's not a practical keychain light. A little big and that nice gorilla glass would get scratched. It's more of a collector's light.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Daso, if having UV is an imperative for your keychain light, the Acebeam UC15 is out now and it has a strong UV secondary. It's got a crazy 1,000 lumen on 2x10440 batteries and a still good 250 on regular AAA's. Depending on what you're used to carrying in your pocket it's on the large side as keychain lights go. The good news is despite the MAP it can be had for $49 via many channels.

I've been on a keychain light kick lately and compiled a listing of some other's here FWIW if you're interested in any others.