Query about MecArmy PS16 output

Jm6451

Newly Enlightened
I bought this torch as it was advertised as having an output of 2000 lumens and I liked the look of it. However looking at the instructions it doesn’t look like it will do 2000 with the supplied 16340 battery. As a novice with torches is that normal to advertise something that requires a different battery to reach the advertised output?

It is considerably brighter than my Fenix LD32 UE, also feels really well built, being stainless it’s got some weight to it.

jDbVlQJ.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Which battery are you using? The 16340 cell, if decent maybe good for 5 or 6a tops, usually with around 500-600mah(not much!)in the tank. The 18350 will do better, especially the aspire cell(hard to get now, but KeepPower do their 1200mah 18350 cell with the aspire under their wrap. This cell is good for 10a ish and does have around 1100mah in the tank...........

Also sometimes its hard to judge brightness, especially with different lights. Flood bias spread the lumens wide, so a 300lm throw type can look brighter than a 1000lm flood type(just an example)due to a more focused hot spot which reaches out further.

You will only get the 1500(or 2000) lumens(approx) for a short time initially, then aggressive step downs due to keeping things under control(heat). As shown in the specs, the 2000lm on 18350 steps down to 600lm, on 16340 it steps from 1500 to 600 within 50s . Not an exact, but just some thoughts to consider:)

Jm6451

Newly Enlightened
Which battery are you using? The 16340 cell, if decent maybe good for 5 or 6a tops, usually with around 500-600mah(not much!)in the tank. The 18350 will do better, especially the aspire cell(hard to get now, but KeepPower do their 1200mah 18350 cell with the aspire under their wrap. This cell is good for 10a ish and does have around 1100mah in the tank...........

Also sometimes its hard to judge brightness, especially with different lights. Flood bias spread the lumens wide, so a 300lm throw type can look brighter than a 1000lm flood type(just an example)due to a more focused hot spot which reaches out further.

You will only get the 1500(or 2000) lumens(approx) for a short time initially, then aggressive step downs due to keeping things under control(heat). As shown in the specs, the 2000lm on 18350 steps down to 600lm, on 16340 it steps from 1500 to 600 within 50s . Not an exact, but just some thoughts to consider:)

Thanks for your response.

I'm using the supplied 16340 but was going to get some 18350's

So basically it'll run for 2000 for 30s then step down to 600, that doesn't seem too good for £85, what do you think?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
600? From a 16340?

That's still amazing.

It's an unfortunate reality that many are touting a boosted (and very temporary) output as their selling point.
This time last year 1000 was the gimmick. Now it's doubled.

Shame, shame, shame.

Basically 500 steady from a 16340 is a reality.... for now.

Jm6451

Newly Enlightened
600? From a 16340?

That's still amazing.

It's an unfortunate reality that many are touting a boosted (and very temporary) output as their selling point.
This time last year 1000 was the gimmick. Now it's doubled.

Shame, shame, shame.

Basically 500 steady from a 16340 is a reality.... for now.

Have to say I was completely taken in by the headline figure.

Shame really as it's such a nice device, build quality is superb.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that normal to advertise something that requires a different battery to reach the advertised output?

Yes, often no battery is included at all, and if it is, it is usually not the one that produces max output.

The good news is that the literature clearly specifies the type of battery required for the maximum output.

Congrats on your light. The fact it can use unprotected 18350 means you have more options than most people with 16340 lights, that cannot fit the fatter 18350.

Warning, until you understand how to operate LiIon safely, you should NOT use unprotected batteries. That means no unprotected 18350. They require special user handling.

Your light does not have built in Overdischarge protection. Your 16340 battery does have built in protection. It is safe for you to use it, even if you run it down until the light turns completely off. You should not over discharge unprotected batteries. It can lead to fire.

So basically it'll run for 2000 for 30s then step down to 600, that doesn't seem too good for £85, what do you think?

That is also normal. Most flashlights that claim thousands of lumens, or even hundreds, only achieve those levels for a few seconds. It is normal marketing. It fools a lot of people, you are not alone.

here is a runtime example of lights that use typical step-downs,
_UPz said:

I have a PT16. I Love it. I hardly ever use Turbo, and if I do, only for a few seconds. I use the lower modes a lot more than the high ones.

I do use unprotected 18350 in my PT16. I check the battery with a voltmeter often. There is no built in voltage indicator in the PT lights.
Best practice would be to recharge before the battery is drained below 3.6 volts.

I tried to buy a Protected 18350, but could not find one that fits. The Aspire and Keepower 18350 cells are Unprotected.
They are great cells, high capacity, and high discharge rate, but require an educated handler.

To feel safer and better educated, I tested to see how low the voltage would go when my PT16 drained my unprotected 18350 battery to a point where all the modes were dimmed down to less than the normal low mode. I turned the light on Turbo, and took voltage readings every 10 minutes to be sure I did not go below 2.5v. The voltage was at 2.83 when I stopped the test, the light was obviously very dim. I have a light meter that measured just 1 lumen at the end of the test. Thats Way dimmer than the 20 lumen low your model has.

So, IF you are in control of your light and you turn it off when it gets dimmer than low mode and none of the other higher modes work, you can use 18350 cells.

But IF there is any chance the light will be left on, unattended and unnoticed for long periods, then it would be safer to use a protected battery..

Your light has no built in protection. If you use 18350, the protection circuit is in your brain. If you use the 16340, the protection is built into the battery.

Bottom line, you are safer using protected batteries. You got a great light, enjoy it.
Use the protected 16340 that came included for "free"!

And a caution and usage tip
If you use Turbo, and the light steps down noticeably, take that as a message to stop using turbo. It is Not good to simply turn off the light, and then turn it back on to fire Turbo over and over.. Once turbo depletes a battery, it will quickly fail to run turbo for long again, until recharged. Think of turbo as a very short term application.

oh, one more tip, return the light for refund before its too late, if any of this, or anything else about the light, is not to your liking. Otherwise, forget the money, and enjoy what you got

Last edited:

Jm6451

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!

I'm in two minds whether to return it for something else but I really do like it, build is fantastic. I was just concerned it wasn't normal to step down so quick or get a battery capable of driving it to its potential, having read your reply I'm less concerned now.

I've not used unprotected cells before and I'm about wary about doing so. Probably something I Just need to get over and make sure I'm diligent.

Latest posts