HDS Systems        

Thread: Pulk Sled Hot Tenting Sub Zero Winter Adventure.

A&Q Moderator

Default Pulk Sled Hot Tenting Sub Zero Winter Adventure.

I am too busy for long dissertations so for the most part will let the photos do the talking. Maybe a short description here and there. The cold snap looked nice. Planed on Friday through Tuesday but got Saturday through Tuesday. Good enough.

Go!

Camp First night.

The "Sacred Bacon".

Next day needed wood and water.

Not really enough snow to melt and getting water was a challenge. In fact a bit dangerous.

Watering hole.

Getting kinda cold. The cold air pooled up in the valley. The overcast sky turned crystal clear at night creating a radiational cooling event as I expected.

Hungarian meats.

Field testing new kit for upcoming ultimate sub 50 dollar solar charging bugout/hiking/whatever system.

Fire being sucked up the pipe by the draft.

Stack robber.

Another day and it's cranking cold clear. The best part was the wind. Not crazy but enough to add an edge to the brisk temps.

The water situation was getting a bit sporty as the rivers (two in the area) freeze up.

The old watering hole frozen over but only an inch so found a rock (not frozen to the ground which was a pain) and smashed a hole. The rock slipped and can be seen on the bottom. A few feet past this spot the water deepens and is moving fast. If the ice gives way a person cold be sucked under. So never walk out on the ice in a situation like this. You risk death.

Wood for the win! My camp runs on wood, water and power. The wood and water are interchangeable as the wood stove is keeping my water liquid and potable.

The liner drapes to the ground adding a double wall which is both anti draft and helps create and inner bubble of heat.

Home made red lentil soup.

On Tuesday this ship is ready to sail

This time packed the sled with a lower center of gravity.

Here are two videos which are part 1 and 2.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 01-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Default Re: Pulk Sled Hot Tenting Sub Zero Winter Adventure.

This looks amazing! I'd love to give this a try one day as an alternative to staying in mountain shelters.

Got my pulk (same one) loaded and ready. Trouble is, the snow all melted!! Will be dragging it over frozen ground and should be fine only going about 3mi total.

Good times!!
    GOOD TINT!

Pretty cool. I like the vids and how you illustrated the simplicity of winter camping when it comes down to it. Once you have the gear it is very simple and seemed to be quite satisfying.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Fantastic! Always enjoy watching and learning from your vids. Regarding the bacon oil, isn't that really bad for you? You mentioned you need it for this expedition, almost for survival. Can you explain more on this? Get less hungry?

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by miyagi View Post
    Fantastic! Always enjoy watching and learning from your vids. Regarding the bacon oil, isn't that really bad for you? You mentioned you need it for this expedition, almost for survival. Can you explain more on this? Get less hungry?
    In sub zero weather the body can consume 6000 or more calories a day. It all gets incinerated. There is one pro. Yea hardly need to go number 2. LOL!

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Got my pulk (same one) loaded and ready. Trouble is, the snow all melted!! Will be dragging it over frozen ground and should be fine only going about 3mi total.

Good times!!
    The sleds go over leaf litter ok. I think you will be fine.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Pretty cool. I like the vids and how you illustrated the simplicity of winter camping when it comes down to it. Once you have the gear it is very simple and seemed to be quite satisfying.
    Thanks. It is comfortable but yea don't want to leave the sleeping bag in the am. LOL!

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    This looks amazing! I'd love to give this a try one day as an alternative to staying in mountain shelters.
    Thanks for looking!

I used to do a lot of winter camping in my younger days. I often found that weather just at or just below freezing was harder to deal with than when you got below the 25 degree mark. I think it has a lot to do with the moisture in the air. Sadly I never had a stove-in-the-tent setup to try, I nearly always set up tarps in a classic "bakers tent" configuration with the fire facing it. Probably not nearly as warm as your setup, but surprisingly cozy unless the winds really decided to kick up. I know I used more wood than you did though.

"Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    In sub zero weather the body can consume 6000 or more calories a day. It all gets incinerated. There is one pro. Yea hardly need to go number 2. LOL!
    Thank you. Always enjoying and learning from you.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
    I used to do a lot of winter camping in my younger days. I often found that weather just at or just below freezing was harder to deal with than when you got below the 25 degree mark. I think it has a lot to do with the moisture in the air. Sadly I never had a stove-in-the-tent setup to try, I nearly always set up tarps in a classic "bakers tent" configuration with the fire facing it. Probably not nearly as warm as your setup, but surprisingly cozy unless the winds really decided to kick up. I know I used more wood than you did though.
    You are correct. 36F give or take with sleet/freezing rain/cold rain is probably with the notable exception of tornado, hurricane or lightning strike the worst weather in terms of risk IMHO. The water transfers heat around 26 times faster than air so it's not hard to see why people die in it. I have camped in that as well and it's best to hunker down. Sub zero F is easier to deal with. As luck would have it here is a video of me camping with a similar setup in exactly those conditions.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 01-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.

A&Q Moderator

Oh snap I forgot about the cellphone pics.

I glossed over the pulk sled travel part but that had some challenges. Nothing major but did roll the sled a few times fighting the stone walls.

Always give the suck a thumbs up. This way it sucks less.

Then again the suck also gets a thumbs up cuz it's a wonder to look at.

Wood!!! The first night I found a tall thin maple sapling. In one shot I got most of my wood for the night. As I setup in the dark sweated up a bit from fighting the pulk the fuel was welcome. Sled full of processed wood is like money in the bank.

The inner workings of the DIY heat exhanger can be seen via glow as the secondary combustion ignites unburned fuel in the smoke. The 2 A-Frames and "H" baffle plate.

What's on Caveman TV?

Channel 1. Flames.

Channel 2. Coals.

Sub zero and in my birthday suit as letting the layers of clothing air out on the shelter clothes line. Another use for fire. Heat the shelter, cook food, boil water and dry clothing.

Steam coming off the water as the radiational cooling event I was hoping for occurred. Like a fire in reverse. Nature/entropy abhors a differential.

Lots of calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    You are correct. 36F give or take with sleet/freezing rain/cold rain is probably with the notable exception of tornado, hurricane or lightning strike the worst weather in terms of risk IMHO. The water transfers heat around 26 times faster than air so it's not hard to see why people die in it. I have camped in that as well and it's best to hunker down. Sub zero F is easier to deal with. As luck would have it here is a video of me camping with a similar setup in exactly those conditions.
    Oh hell yeah, that is exactly what I mean, and that feeling when the fire finally catches and you know you are gonna get to dry out your clothes
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Looks like a blast. Nice pictures as always and thank you for sharing!

Banned

Thanks for sharing. You definitely seemed prepared. The ONLY suggestion would be to have CAPO and some of his friends to lighten the load!!

You, Mr. Walker, are an animal. I say that having done a bit of winter camping...
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

A&Q Moderator

Thanks brother. You know the woods well. I am going to try and get out again ASAP.

Flashaholic*

Pretty neat. I have read some discussions about using small pack goats to carry loads around for these kinds of applications and they also seem like an interesting approach.