Soda Can light seeking

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Hi All. I've got the itch for a "soda can" flashlight. The 2 I am currently most interested in are the ThruNite TN30 (2016) and the Nitecore TM06s. Those both fit my limited criteria list:
3 or 4 by 18650, multi-emitter, <$150. I am looking for more flood/spill than a thrower, but a large hotspot with lots of spill is acceptable. I will need to buy new high drain 18650s, so that is also keeping my budget down. I have searched and cannot find a direct comparison of these two lights. The small difference in max output is not a deal breaker to me. I've also looked at the following: Acebeam K30, EagTac MX30L4-C, Noctigon Meteor M43, BLF Q8, Supfire M6. I keep coming back to the TM06s or the TN30.

So, I'm asking for your help, thoughts, opinions, owner experience to help me make a decision.

Thanks - this forum is filled with well intentioned people.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF Q8 is likely the best light for a small cost you're going to find. Around $50, and has pretty-much everything you want. Around 5200 lumens, with a very nice neutral white tint. For a quad-emitter light, it throws reasonably well, but I'd still consider it a floody beam profile.

Connor

Enlightened
I'm pretty happy with my Manker MK34. Definitely check this light if size / high CRI option is important to you.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll put another recommendation in for the BLF Q8. Excellent build quality with one of the best UIs around. Great beam profile and beautiful neutral tint.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TN30 2016 NW and love it. But I expect to see that model upgraded very soon to remain competitive.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.. and I "only" have a Klarus G30 to mention, LOL.
Not as many lumens as some of the above, but a pretty amazing light overall.
Real World Review - Klarus G30

Seriously though, once you start getting over 2000 Lumens in a small package they are ALL pretty WOW lights :)

Personally I like the way the ThruNite MINI TN30 looks.

Last edited:

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I'll put another recommendation in for the BLF Q8. Excellent build quality with one of the best UIs around. Great beam profile and beautiful neutral tint.
+1 Depends on what you want in life, but this one is All Value... I had 5 or 6. Sold them to friend's and family. One neighbor was showing his off to another... I mentioned I had one unspoken for. He handed me the money right there.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your responses. I've been watching the BLF Q8, but was concerned about long term reliability. For you owners - no problems? And do you have battery recommendations? Having trouble finding high drain, unprotected, button tops that are rated more than 2600 mAH.Still liking the MINI TN30....You all are great!

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 3 Q8's, gifted one second edition, the first addition I corrected a few minor items and have used both the first and second edition with zero problems. I use Samsung Q30 button tops(on sale for around $18 for four cells). Very pleased with cells and the lights. Between the Q8's and my GT I am neglecting a lot of other lights(the GT is a blast, the Q8 is very dependable and easy to use in multiple situations...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'll have an issue with long-term reliability of the BLF Q8. This thing was in design for about a year by some really talented guys over at BLF. I suspect it has a lot more attention to detail than most lights designed by flashlight companies. It probably doesn't have the same quality as a $300 light, but IMO it's $#&! good for $50.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Geesh, I can't believe I never came back and told you all that I bought a BLF Q8. And all of you were right - it's a wonderful light. I was hesitant about the ramp feature, but that is now one of my favorite things about the light. More than bright enough for anything I want to do. Not too big. I take it to walk my dog, so I am holding it for 20 - 45 minutes and it doesn't get uncomfortable.

I bought batteries for it from LiIon Warehouse. Amazing service and great pricing. Highly recommended.

Thank you all again for the recommendations. That's why I love the forum.

Now, if only that same crew would design a dedicated thrower...:twothumbs

PartyPete

Enlightened
Geesh, I can't believe I never came back and told you all that I bought a BLF Q8. And all of you were right - it's a wonderful light. I was hesitant about the ramp feature, but that is now one of my favorite things about the light. More than bright enough for anything I want to do. Not too big. I take it to walk my dog, so I am holding it for 20 - 45 minutes and it doesn't get uncomfortable.

I bought batteries for it from LiIon Warehouse. Amazing service and great pricing. Highly recommended.

Thank you all again for the recommendations. That's why I love the forum.

Now, if only that same crew would design a dedicated thrower...:twothumbs
It's a solid light and a good value. Very robust UI. I think the reliability should be decent, I can say it handles water very well.

I believe they did make a thrower too. The BLF GT if I'm not mistaken.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with the Q8, given its low price.

My only complaint, which is the same for all lights that use a FET driver, is that you won't get regulated output on levels above about 160 lumens. By the time your batteries are half-drained, you've lost about a third of max output.

But, that's the case for the vast majority of high-output lights. Only lights with good boost-drivers can maintain a constant output on max.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Q8. Got one, then had to get another one. Then I sold my second one to a BLF member, regretted it and shortly after ordered another one again as I use them so much. Now Sofirn is selling the Q8 but with 6500k emitters and more throw, so I ordered on of those this week too. Sofirn is the company that manufactured the original Q8 sold by Thorfire and right now they have an incredible deal going on at BLF for their own Q8 CW.

Last edited:

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Have also a look at Astrolux MF01, insane flood soda can light if thats what u want, all the throw of light is from the amount of lumens , u can get a code on BLF thread for 78$ from banggood so it doesnt put a too big hole in your wallet, very sweet light.'

The Q8 is hands down one of the nicest light for that price range any flashlight lover will like, those that hate it have no soul.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the GT is the thrower version. I love my Q8, swapped the emitters to Samsung 351Ds, bypassed the tail springs and switched the green LEDs to red in the switch. Awesome light.

The GT is really a different light, even though another BLF project. The Q8 is a budget, versatile light. The GT is purely throw optimized, with a fancier driver.

I wonder if there would be interest in someone like Thorfire or Sofirn producing a thrower conversion kit for the Q8 - basically a single XP MCPCB to solder in, plus a single large reflector and a deeper bezel to house it...assuming a single XP-L HI can handle being driven that way. That wouldn't be ideal, since you could simply swap back and forth between the two configurations without soldering, but it could add a little bit of versatility.

In the meantime, I just found out that Sofirn has produced their own version of the Q8 with 4 x XP-L HI in the stock reflector, so it should have a tighter beam than the standard Q8. The only downside I see is it is 6500K only.

Latest posts