Angryfox        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Music to the Marrow (To What Are You Listening?)

Default Re: Music to the Marro (To What Are You Listening?)

Chill beyond chill; you know you're out there when you start hearing whale song..

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    That opening high-hat passage on "Who Loves You" is an acid test for compression codecs. If it makes it through the system without sounding "swooshy," it's done a good job.

Default Re: Music to the Marrow (To What Are You Listening?)

I don't usually hear classic songs (or any songs for that matter), but recently playing the Mafia video games has made me fall in love with many songs of the era, such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by MayerLight View Post
    I don't usually hear classic songs
    If you have the free TuneIn app on your device, you can still hear them played live by a DJ on the radio:

(all times Pacific)
    Sunday 9AM-Noon, KEXP 90.3 FM Seattle, Preachin' the Blues with Johnny Horn, blues/Americana
    Wednesday 6PM-9PM, KEXP 90.3 FM Seattle, The Roadhouse with Greg Vandy, rock/blues/Americana
    Saturday 2PM-4PM, KPFK 90.7 FM Los Angeles, Rhapsody in Black with Bill Gardner, doo wop/soul

The KEXP programs are archived for ~two weeks using that station's app, also free.

Flashaholic*

I found a local NPR station with an 8:00 to 11:00pm program where one of my favorite DJ's does a show called out of the box. It's up and comers in the alternative world, new releases by long time alternative, local acts from the the coastal area of Va, NC and MD and brand new stuff by big names like Joe Jackson whenever they come out with something worthy of alternative radio. Pretty cool stuff by an 80's famous DJ named Paul Shugrue who was a favorite of mine when he was on a Richmond Va rock station XL 102.

It's like a college radio station with a strong signal so you don't have to be within a few blocks of the antenna.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-13-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I found a local NPR station with an 8:00 to 11:00pm program where one of my favorite DJ's does a show called out of the box. It's up and comers in the alternative world, new releases by long time alternative, local acts from the the coastal area of Va, NC and MD and brand new stuff by big names like Joe Jackson whenever they come out with something worthy of alternative radio. Pretty cool stuff by an 80's famous DJ named Paul Shugrue who was a favorite of mine when he was on a Richmond Va rock station XL 102.

It's like a college radio station with a strong signal so you don't have to be within a few blocks of the antenna.
    What station?

Either WHRV or WHRO in Va Beach.

There are other antennas that play that NPR broadcast along the coast of Va.

He was director of a really really good station owned by Bruce Hornsby called "the Coast" that eventually went belly up. So he landed at WHRV there in Norfolk.

I hear it on 101.7 but don't recall if it' the HRO or HRV antenna.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

Some of NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts are pretty good if you like alternate:

Whenever I go to a new place I hunt for the college stations - usually way down or way up on the fringes of the dial and usually not too strong signals unless you are on top of them but usually well worth it compared to the cr@p they play on commercial music stations.

Flashaholic*

Glenn Frey-Smuggler's Blues.

(off of the HDTracks version of Above The Clouds-The Very Best of Glenn Frey.)

24-bit,44.1 KHz FLAC.

Flashaholic*

Sepultura - Propaganda
    "You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts."
    Ted Koppel

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345