led lantern, hot to make clear plastic, opaque/frosted

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

I bought a couple of cheap led storm lanterns but the light is uneven and hurts my eye`s, I wonder if it would be possible to make the clear plastic opaque/frosted.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: It looks like it`s actually made from glass, I tried to make a small scratch with an knife but could not.

John.

CrKHEaQ.jpg

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya John!

Yes, there are several ways to do what you'd like.
1. sand the inside of the plastic with 1000-3000 grit sandpaper
2. paint the inside with "frosting" paint available at any hobby store
3. build a small defuser for over the LEDs themselves, a 1/2 ping pong ball works well.
4. cut a piece of defuser film inside the light between the LEDs and the outer "lens". you can get the film from old flat monitors/tv screens between the glass screen and the backlight.

*1. and 2. can be applied to the outside of the lamp but will leave a texture on the "lens".

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks FRITZHID some great idea`s

It would be nice if i could remove the clear plastic to work on, But i cannot see how too, So i will look at sanding or frosting paint i can apply from the outside.

EDIT: It looks like it`s actually made from glass, I tried to make a small scratch with an knife but could not.

John.

Last edited:

filibuster

Enlightened
Some years ago in another lantern thread someone suggested using Glad Press'n Seal Wrap as a diffusing material for a glaring LED lantern. I had one of those lanterns and hated the glare so I tried it and was impressed with the results! The Press'n Seal material stuck well to the plastic (and would work on glass too) and provided a very nice diffused light after the fact. It is also nice that the wrap can be removed later if needed without damage to the original clear plastic diffuser of the lantern (but it can leave a residue). The wrap stretches so it is possible if you work at it to get a flat distortion free surface all around the lantern's diffuser surface no matter it's shape.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
With it being glass it makes thing a lot harder, I dont know what to do, It guess it would be hard to stick on diffuser tape to fit right with the shape and it has to be perfect which i doubt it will.

Removing the glass and using some frosting spray on the inside and outside would be my choice, But i would need to remove the glass to be sprayed and i cannot see how.

Thanks

John.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the glass and using some frosting spray on the inside and outside would be my choice, But i would need to remove the glass to be sprayed and i cannot see how.

Spray down the entire lamp, frame and all. Job done. Or mask it off and don't worry about spraying those little wires.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that exact lamp, but I have one very similar and it opens the same way all of my actual kerosene lamps do.

See this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8qu_XYRLk

It's built on a knockoff of a dietz platform body and I know you can get colored globes though I'm not sure about frosted. Also you'd have to check the measurements to make sure one would fit.
this is an excellent reference
https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/dietz-brand-replacement-globes.html

If you can get the glass off, Krylon makes a very good glass frosting spray that you can use on the inside. (I wouldn't use it on the outside, not quite durable enough).

EDIT: THIS is the one I have, identical body with different innards and a diffuser built in. But if yours is like mine, lifting the top ring per the video should gain you access unless something is glued shut (mine isn't)

mefjw4h.jpg

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that exact lamp, but I have one very similar and it opens the same way all of my actual kerosene lamps do.

See this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8qu_XYRLk

It's built on a knockoff of a dietz platform body and I know you can get colored globes though I'm not sure about frosted. Also you'd have to check the measurements to make sure one would fit.
this is an excellent reference
https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/dietz-brand-replacement-globes.html

If you can get the glass off, Krylon makes a very good glass frosting spray that you can use on the inside. (I wouldn't use it on the outside, not quite durable enough).

EDIT: THIS is the one I have, identical body with different innards and a diffuser built in. But if yours is like mine, lifting the top ring per the video should gain you access unless something is glued shut (mine isn't)

mefjw4h.jpg

Hi

I knew the top part lifted up, but i did not know that it allowed you to pull the glass to the side and remove it from the lantern till i watched your video.

That works great, I will just have to find some spray now.

Thanks a lot :)

John.

phosphor22

Enlightened
it also might be possible to sand with sandpaper designed to sand wet -- perhaps 400 grit.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew the top part lifted up, but i did not know that it allowed you to pull the glass to the side and remove it from the lantern till i watched your video.

That works great, I will just have to find some spray now.

Thanks a lot :)

John.

Glad to help. I also collect and restore antique lanterns so that is why I knew how to open it up :)

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
it also might be possible to sand with sandpaper designed to sand wet -- perhaps 400 grit.

Yes, this can work in some cases. I tried it on a very cheap 3AA lantern which has a clear plastic bubble over the LEDs. It reduced glare considerably, but with some reduction of brightness, so there is a trade-off.

Dave

BloodLust

Enlightened
I use a frosting sprayor matte laquer spray. Can be found in hardwares.
I've frosted a lot of my lanterns and flashlights. Even branded ones like my Fenix E12. Also my Hokage Nichia. Makes the beam smoother and better for closeup work. Seems to be holding up well.