NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: led lantern, hot to make clear plastic, opaque/frosted

Question led lantern, hot to make clear plastic, opaque/frosted

Hi.

I bought a couple of cheap led storm lanterns but the light is uneven and hurts my eye`s, I wonder if it would be possible to make the clear plastic opaque/frosted.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: It looks like it`s actually made from glass, I tried to make a small scratch with an knife but could not.

John.

Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 01-15-2018 at 05:58 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Default Re: led lantern, hot to make clear plastic, opaque/frosted

Hiya John!

Yes, there are several ways to do what you'd like.
    1. sand the inside of the plastic with 1000-3000 grit sandpaper
    2. paint the inside with "frosting" paint available at any hobby store
    3. build a small defuser for over the LEDs themselves, a 1/2 ping pong ball works well.
    4. cut a piece of defuser film inside the light between the LEDs and the outer "lens". you can get the film from old flat monitors/tv screens between the glass screen and the backlight.

*1. and 2. can be applied to the outside of the lamp but will leave a texture on the "lens".
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

Thanks FRITZHID some great idea`s

It would be nice if i could remove the clear plastic to work on, But i cannot see how too, So i will look at sanding or frosting paint i can apply from the outside.

EDIT: It looks like it`s actually made from glass, I tried to make a small scratch with an knife but could not.

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 01-15-2018 at 05:58 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

No Problem! Good Luck
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

Some years ago in another lantern thread someone suggested using Glad Press'n Seal Wrap as a diffusing material for a glaring LED lantern. I had one of those lanterns and hated the glare so I tried it and was impressed with the results! The Press'n Seal material stuck well to the plastic (and would work on glass too) and provided a very nice diffused light after the fact. It is also nice that the wrap can be removed later if needed without damage to the original clear plastic diffuser of the lantern (but it can leave a residue). The wrap stretches so it is possible if you work at it to get a flat distortion free surface all around the lantern's diffuser surface no matter it's shape.

With it being glass it makes thing a lot harder, I dont know what to do, It guess it would be hard to stick on diffuser tape to fit right with the shape and it has to be perfect which i doubt it will.

Removing the glass and using some frosting spray on the inside and outside would be my choice, But i would need to remove the glass to be sprayed and i cannot see how.

Thanks

John.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Removing the glass and using some frosting spray on the inside and outside would be my choice, But i would need to remove the glass to be sprayed and i cannot see how.
    Spray down the entire lamp, frame and all. Job done. Or mask it off and don't worry about spraying those little wires.

I don't have that exact lamp, but I have one very similar and it opens the same way all of my actual kerosene lamps do.

See this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8qu_XYRLk

It's built on a knockoff of a dietz platform body and I know you can get colored globes though I'm not sure about frosted. Also you'd have to check the measurements to make sure one would fit.
    this is an excellent reference
    https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/di...nt-globes.html

If you can get the glass off, Krylon makes a very good glass frosting spray that you can use on the inside. (I wouldn't use it on the outside, not quite durable enough).

EDIT: THIS is the one I have, identical body with different innards and a diffuser built in. But if yours is like mine, lifting the top ring per the video should gain you access unless something is glued shut (mine isn't)

Last edited by zespectre; 01-27-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
    I don't have that exact lamp, but I have one very similar and it opens the same way all of my actual kerosene lamps do.

See this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8qu_XYRLk

It's built on a knockoff of a dietz platform body and I know you can get colored globes though I'm not sure about frosted. Also you'd have to check the measurements to make sure one would fit.
    this is an excellent reference
    https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/di...nt-globes.html

If you can get the glass off, Krylon makes a very good glass frosting spray that you can use on the inside. (I wouldn't use it on the outside, not quite durable enough).

EDIT: THIS is the one I have, identical body with different innards and a diffuser built in. But if yours is like mine, lifting the top ring per the video should gain you access unless something is glued shut (mine isn't)

Hi

I knew the top part lifted up, but i did not know that it allowed you to pull the glass to the side and remove it from the lantern till i watched your video.

That works great, I will just have to find some spray now.

Thanks a lot

John.

Flashaholic

it also might be possible to sand with sandpaper designed to sand wet -- perhaps 400 grit.

I knew the top part lifted up, but i did not know that it allowed you to pull the glass to the side and remove it from the lantern till i watched your video.

That works great, I will just have to find some spray now.

Thanks a lot

John.
    Glad to help. I also collect and restore antique lanterns so that is why I knew how to open it up
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by phosphor22 View Post
    it also might be possible to sand with sandpaper designed to sand wet -- perhaps 400 grit.
    Yes, this can work in some cases. I tried it on a very cheap 3AA lantern which has a clear plastic bubble over the LEDs. It reduced glare considerably, but with some reduction of brightness, so there is a trade-off.

Dave

Flashaholic

I use a frosting sprayor matte laquer spray. Can be found in hardwares.
    I've frosted a lot of my lanterns and flashlights. Even branded ones like my Fenix E12. Also my Hokage Nichia. Makes the beam smoother and better for closeup work. Seems to be holding up well.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the clear plastic opaque/frosted.
    Don't make it opaque. Make it translucent. If you make it opaque, no light will go through the globe at all. Not a useful lamp that way.

Because the globe is glass you could etch it, using etching cream from a hobby store.