The Fenix-Store        
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CLOSED 2018 Yuji 3200K high cri 5mm LED group buy

Default Re: 2018 Yuji 5mm LED group buy OPEN

Paypal sent for 25. thx scout24.

Little late to ask LOL, anyone that knows, what is the forward voltage specs on these (sry if I missed in thread)?

edit: I see on the sticker on the bag in the above (scout24's) image,

VF : 2.8-2.9V

Should be fine w/o a resistor for 3V CR123A (considering voltage sag)? Amps a concern? Thx guys.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 02-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Night.hoodie- I need your shipping address my friend...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Night.hoodie- I need your shipping address my friend...
    Sorry for my confusion, thought it was auto w/ paypal. Provided in PM.

This is so cool. I was lamenting a shuttered a Radio Shack right here, but their white LEDs had horrible tint, the local selection was bad, and now gone. Good riddance, turns out. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    I was lamenting a shuttered a Radio Shack right here, but their white LEDs had horrible tint, the local selection was bad, and now gone. Good riddance, turns out. Thanks again.

funny you mention the old RS warm white LEDs... mine just fried out on my Stanley 109 HID and they were fairly high in the CRI end compared to most other WW LEDs of that type, but i honestly figured i got a lucky batch, lol.

i'm looking forward to upgrading some of my lil, cheap 5mm LED lights with these, should be fun!
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

.... Amps a concern? Thx guys.
    According to the spec sheet, absolute max (continuous) If = 30mA
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Of course, there's what the spec sheet says (which is probably based on something like a 10,000+ hour life), and there's what it can actually handle. The Nichia 219C has a good reputation for handling sustained currents above rating. The Yuji 5mm looks like perhaps it can exceed it's rating too:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post5026708

I don't think his 80mA estimate for a 3V LED based on 160mA at the tailcap from 1.5V battery is accurate due to boost losses, but I'd expect it to be above 40.

I think direct drive from a CR123A is low risk, but there is a chance it could burn out the LED. Same for 2xAA/AAA. Fortunately, these are fairly cheap to experiment with. I have a Yuji in a Maglite mini incan (another fairly easy mod), but I just used the batteries that were already in it, at 2.8V total.

If I have time, perhaps I'll sacrifice one to my variable power supply in the name of science when they arrive and plot the data.

Sure, test to failure will exceed rated specs.

The data would, of course, be of interest here ... and at the cost of less than a dollar in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Of course, there's what the spec sheet says (which is probably based on something like a 10,000+ hour life), and there's what it can actually handle. ...

I don't think his 80mA estimate for a 3V LED based on 160mA at the tailcap from 1.5V battery is accurate due to boost losses, but I'd expect it to be above 40.

I think direct drive from a CR123A is low risk, but there is a chance it could burn out the LED. Same for 2xAA/AAA.

Something I don't quite have my head around: that it seems plain enough a lamp pulls up to its amp spec or whatever the cell can handle, which ever is lower (and drops with voltage). But with an LED, the required amps are low, but I don't understand why an LED draws more amps than it can handle from a cell. IOW, seems like a lamp decides the amps if using a lamp, and the cell decides the amps if using LED. How does the cell know whether it's a filament at the end of a pin or a diode? I probably have asked in an older thread, and I didn't retain the answer.

Only heard back from five people so far, four went in the mail this afternoon. Raymond- I need a shipping address, sir. I appreciate the F&F payment, but I don't get the address...

PLEASE send G&S so I have your shipping address going forward. Thanks!
    Sorry about that. Everyone has always seen my name/address when I've sent a PP payment.

At any rate, I PM'ed you the info. Thanks again for doing this.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Something I don't quite have my head around: that it seems plain enough a lamp pulls up to its amp spec or whatever the cell can handle, which ever is lower (and drops with voltage). But with an LED, the required amps are low, but I don't understand why an LED draws more amps than it can handle from a cell. IOW, seems like a lamp decides the amps if using a lamp, and the cell decides the amps if using LED. How does the cell know whether it's a filament at the end of a pin or a diode? I probably have asked in an older thread, and I didn't retain the answer.
    Resistance

Okay, here's the deal. If you sent me money, your emitters are in the mail. I'm going to try to make this easier on my end and not send PM's.

If you are 11-20 on the list, please use the below address to pay. Include your user name and how many you're paying for. Please use goods and services so I get a shipping address.my Paypal addy is:

barrajr24(at)hotmail(dot)com

Replace the (at) with @ and the (dot) with an actual dot...

For 50

Like others have found, I did not have a G&S option to select like in the past, so I put my addy in the memo to be safe.

BTW, agree with iamlucky13 that I probably am not pushing my LED at 80 mA in my Gerber IU, 40+ mA probably makes more sense, still kicking myself for forgetting to take the measurement at the LED with the meter on the 10 Amp scale during the mod.

But I will say, whatever the overdrive, I have run a bunch of full charges on an Eneloop through that light, and it still looks like it did at the beginning. So they are at least fairly tough, more than I first expected, as far as tolerating overdrive. Maybe not like Nichia DS tough, but very good. I say run 'em like you stole 'em!

PP sent for 50.

Thank you you again for doing this. I’m going to try the Photon Freedom myself.

I would like 25, please.

Edit: PayPal sent.
    Last edited by troutpool; 02-06-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Flashaholic*

PayPal sent for 25!

thanks!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Resistance
    Ok, question was OT, so fight the power, brother!

I kid. But I knew that was it, just do not quite grasp it, though I found an explaination here, especially the link to this video which I will meditate on until the differences in expected amp draw in these two very different types of light sources become clearer to me.

Seems odd to me that, but for the phosphors, and slightly variant fV specs, one LED is nearly identical to another LED, yet some seem to tolerate being overdriven without issue (like those in the incan A2), and some when slightly overdriving them. My assumption about close similarities between different LEDs probably must be incorrect, and LEDs are far more tempermental than they seem.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 02-06-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Hondo and Jabe1- Please double check the PP addy, I'm not seeing you there...wacbzz and troutpool- you'll ship tomorrow.

Flashaholic*

Is 20+ ok to pay? I see we are out of order already

PM sent with addy

Wow, not sure how to get PP to include it, I put it in the memo section and all

I'll take 25 if you still have some.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    Is 20+ ok to pay? I see we are out of order already
    That was my bad, I did not catch that. Apologies... This is the first group buy I've run, and I've learned a few things that will be implemented in the next one.

OK- IF YOU'RE ON THE LIST, GO AHEAD AND SEND PAYMENT. ORDERS FILLED FIRST COME FIRST SERVED FROM THE LIST. I'LL POST IN A DAY OR TWO FOR OPEN SALES. PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE LIST.

Payment sent for 25 - Thank you!

Flashaholic*

That was my bad, I did not catch that. Apologies... This is the first group buy I've run, and I've learned a few things that will be implemented in the next one.

OK- IF YOU'RE ON THE LIST, GO AHEAD AND SEND PAYMENT. ORDERS FILLED FIRST COME FIRST SERVED FROM THE LIST. I'LL POST IN A DAY OR TWO FOR OPEN SALES. PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE LIST.
    No worries, we all just get excited for new lights and parts

PP sent

Pp for 100 pcs sent. Ty again!
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

Mine just arrived. Thanks again for making these available.

I tried a couple, by just holding them onto a CR2032 cell. The tint appears to be really brownish.

Is this the expected tint? I'll admit to doing next to zero research on these emitters.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Yep, that's the 3200K tint

These are a WARM LED. If you have never had real warm temp. lights, it will look a bit strange next to a cool or even neutral LED. If you use them by themselves for a while, you may find it more pleasing. Also, I find they match my room lighting better than any other type, so no change going from a lit room to dark hall with Yuji warm light.

Or, you may be more pleased with the 5600k version. I am hoping we can get a buy for those, too. Very nice, high CRI, not really cool at all, sort of between the warm end of cool and the cool end of neutral. Same totally smooth beam. McGizmo uses them in his Sapphire light, supposed to be the same temp. as mid-day sun, like the High Noon HDS lights in the special run. But these are more like late-day sun, just before sunset.

scout24, please check your PM inbox.

Yep, that's the 3200K tint
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    These are a WARM LED. If you have never had real warm temp. lights, it will look a bit strange next to a cool or even neutral LED. If you use them by themselves for a while, you may find it more pleasing. Also, I find they match my room lighting better than any other type, so no change going from a lit room to dark hall with Yuji warm light.

Or, you may be more pleased with the 5600k version. I am hoping we can get a buy for those, too. Very nice, high CRI, not really cool at all, sort of between the warm end of cool and the cool end of neutral. Same totally smooth beam. McGizmo uses them in his Sapphire light, supposed to be the same temp. as mid-day sun, like the High Noon HDS lights in the special run. But these are more like late-day sun, just before sunset.
    Thanks guys. It's not a problem. It just caught me off-guard.

Although it may seem odd initially, it really does provide very nice illumination ....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast