ARC AAA vs. CMG Infinity Ultra

Mark_J

Newly Enlightened
Could somebody either tell or show me the difference in the beams of these two lights. If this has already been talked about, I apologize and just point me to the appropriate thread. Thanks!

- Mark

paulr

Flashaholic
CMG has a somewhat wider sidespill. Otherwise they are pretty similar.

alberto

Enlightened
Very similar, although CMG has more spill. The ARC is smaller but I prefer the more substantial size and feel of the CMG, and it's ability to take lithiums.

A less expensive but less rugged alternative to both is the Dorcy AAA, with a similar beam to the ARC and CMG (spill is more than ARC, less than CMG).

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark,

My CMG Ultra-G (AA) has a larger amount of side spill and is brighter than my Arc AAA. Kind of different lights really.

If I had to choose between the two for walking at night, down a dark trail, in the woods I would choose the Ultra.

The Arc AAA is really my emergency "at least I have some light with me at all times" light because it's on my keychain. It would get you down that same dark trail in the woods as the Ultra, just with less side spill and not quite as much of a hot spot.

Mike

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
_Mike_ said:
My CMG Ultra-G (AA) has a larger amount of side spill and is brighter than my Arc AAA. Kind of different lights really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the tint and brightness variations between LEDs, it's usually not a good idea to make generalizations based on single 1-LED flashlights. Most users' experiences put the Infinity Ultra and the Arc AAA at about the same brightness, and my Arc AAA-P is brighter than the Infinity Ultra that I own. (Note: this has nothing to do with the former being a "premium.")

The main issue is small size versus long runtime. Brightness differences between the two flashlights are due to random factors.

cy

Flashaholic
My red CPF AAA is brighter than my infinity ultra G. The brightness difference is minimal. The CPF AAA beam quality is way better, almost perfect, a real jewel. Does any one know if the CPF spl had extra hand picked leds?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton,

Get it straight, read what I wrote...... I said "MY" Ultra-G and "MY" Arc AAA. I did NOT say "EVERYONE'S". But next time, just for you, I will say "NOT EVERYONE'S", I will say something cute like "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY", would that make you happy?

Oh, and one more thing. MY Ultra-G is in fact brighter with more side spill than MY Arc AAA (regular). Got it? Any questions? Have a problem with that?

Maybe you should not be the one trying to tell me or anyone else if THEIR lights are brighter or have more side spill than another one that they own. You want to tell us all about your lights fine, but don't try to tell me about mine.

Mike

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton,

Well you quoted me, so I figured you were responding to what I wrote. I made no generalizations as you indicated, I said "My". Did you honestly expect me to take what you said without responding? Take your lumps and let's move on.

Mike

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
My red CPF AAA is brighter than my infinity ultra G. The brightness difference is minimal. The CPF AAA beam quality is way better, almost perfect, a real jewel. Does any one know if the CPF spl had extra hand picked leds?

[/ QUOTE ]

It could possibly have something to do with your AAA Premium having a whiter tint instead, which makes it look brighter. AFAIK, Arc picks the whitest of them Leds for the Premium AAAs, hence looking at a whiter output over a another with a slight violet/green tint, it might be perceived as brighter perhaps?

My comparisons with my AAA (standard) and the Ultra G and the Arc AA seems to show almost the same output... so on my part the main difference would be the extra spill from the Ultra G, and obviously, the runtime btwn the AAA and the AAs.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:It could possibly have something to do with your AAA Premium having a whiter tint instead, which makes it look brighter. AFAIK, Arc picks the whitest of them Leds for the Premium AAAs, hence looking at a whiter output over a another with a slight violet/green tint, it might be perceived as brighter perhaps?

My comparisons with my AAA (standard) and the Ultra G and the Arc AA seems to show almost the same output...

[/ QUOTE ]
No my 2003 Red CPF AAA is difinately brighter than the infinity ultras. I've got three ultras here to compare to.

Sorry I should have more clear. My question was does any one know if the CPF spl AAA had a hand selected led better than the AAA LE? CFP spl's beam is the most perfect I have ever seen.

paulr

Flashaholic
Arc always described the CPF AAA as having the same led as the AAA LE. So Cy, I think you just got lucky.

Mike, chill out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr,

Well ........ ok. asdalton, hmmm ...... sorry I went off on you man.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Mark_J

Newly Enlightened
Ok, let's see:

paulr: similar, CMG more sidespill
alberto: similar, CMG more sidespill
Mike: CMG more sidespill and brighter
asdalton: similar
<insert minor pissing match here>
cy: similar, CPF ARC better quality beam
Stanley: similar output, CMG extra spill
<insert happy ending>

While I'm no rocket scientist and although this is far from a statistically valid sample, I think I can probably safely conclude that (hold onto your seats everyone)...the outputs are similar and that the CMG has more sidespill! That's all I really needed to know folks, so thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Mark

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I think my CMG Infinity is a bit brighter and doesn't have the yellowish ring around the center beam as the Arc AAA does. Also, the CMG I have does have a wider side spill. I still like the Arc as it weighs next to nothing and fits in my jean's watch pocket easily.

A comparison to the CMG Sonic G with the Arc AAA shows a narrower side spill from the Sonic G and a percieved brighter hotspot. But that is just with my uncalibrated eyeballs.

I like all three lights; I carry the Arc AAA and CMG Infinity Ultra G and my wife has the Sonic G. k

paulr

Flashaholic
<pedantic>The CMG Infinity is quite a bit dimmer than the Arc AAA but has very long runtime; the later Infinity Ultra is about the same brightness as the Arc.</pedantic>

Mark, you could also look at the Arc AA, which is very nice but more expensive than the CMG. Yet another light you could try is the UKE 2aaa eLED, which is just $10 from Countycomm. It has a focusing lens for a narrower beam (and more throw) than the Arc AAA or Ultra, is about halfway between the AAA and Ultra in size and weight (it uses two AAA's but is made of lightweight plastic), runs 20 hours and is very waterproof, yet with ok sidespill.

I'm not crazy about the Sonic, which has not much sidespill at all.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had to look up the word "pedantic" in a dictionary to find out what it meant... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just an eyeball measurement here...
My CPF Special 2003 Arc-AAA has approximately the same output as a CMG Ultra-G; though the Ultra-G has a wider spill beam.