Looking for the perfect pen light 2018

ssclassof2k

Newly Enlightened
Hello All
I'm looking to upgrade my stylus pro 45 lumen pen light and wanted to get something a little better. All that I can find are multimode lights that have short runtimes.

What I consider the perfect pen light.
sharpie size
20-30 dollars
single mode
at least 65-90 lumens of "regulated" runtime that doesn't dim any until the end.
at least 3.5 hrs of run time.

I love my old stylus pro, it's has been great but I want something with regulated output.
The closest thing I can find is the stylus pro USB, but it is expensive and doesn't have great reviews.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three that I own and recommend are the Nitecore MT06 & MT06MD and the Klarus P20.

I own and like all of them.

The MT06 has more throw than the other two, which are more floody.

All of the above are likely near or slightly over the upper limit of your budget, but are nice lights.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
They are currently discontinued (but this is a 4th batch of a BLF group buy, good chance there may be more) in Nichia 291B High CRI, but the only complaint I had about the model 348 clicky is that the clicky is reverse instead of forward. Driver accepts AAA 1.5v, or NiMH, and 10440 in either 3.2V or 3.6V/3.7V, with vastly greater brightness and vastly less runtime. These can still be found branded Singfire with Cree XPE (I assume in cool white) at Gearbest, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them on eBay. Advertised runtime of 2 hours on AAA is conservative. I am pretty sure on Energizer L92 the runtime is closer to 5 hours, probably more if not continuously. They are attractive and inexpensive, though the driver is not the most durably resistant to shock and drops, so it is good they are cheap, as that problem is solved by keeping several.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I would recommend the Thrunite Ti4T (300lm on Max, has firefly mode, short-term mode memory for 10 sec, defaults back to firefly thereafter, neutral white tint). I wouldve gotten this light if it were available locally but I'm out of luck.

The one I have is a Nitecore MT06MD which I'm pretty happy with apart from its clip which bends out of shape quite easily. But I love the tint of the Nichia 219c. No firefly mode on this, sadly. Two body styles available, one with a pupil measurement thingy and one that has a plain black body.

Another good choice is the Klarus P20 which I'm also looking to get. It doesn't have firefly either and has a frosted lens for a floodier beam. Has mode memory if I remember correctly. Has slightly more lumens than the MT06MD but I think throws a bit less due to the lens used.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
My fave is THORFIRE PF04 has firefly mode then medium then high, medium lasts me over 4 hours I think

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the Streamlight Protac 2AAA. Small and easy to carry. It runs on 2 alkaline or 2 NiMH AAA batteries. Ive run it on both and it runs great on either. Lots of light output at 130 lumens (for its size) and the tailcap switch can be programmed for only one mode which is high through Streamlights 10 tap programming interface.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had my Streamlight's fail, I count on the Four Seven's Preon I/II. Despite the company being in the process of changing hands, They are easily worth the $27-$35 price and Can run off eneloops/alkys /Energizer Lithium's. I started using them years ago and my neutral white Ti Preon 2 has hundreds of hours of flight time and has never failed me. Despite being used more often as a backup than my primary these days, they remain my fav. I also have almost every color made so if I have to attend a formal event I can even color coordinate to match(personally I don't care what color it is, but having the options keep the Mrs happy and that IS important to me)....

If it really is to be a Penlight, I would prefer something that runs on AAAA batteries. Even AAA are too thick for most of my pockets.

Clicky switch too - any suggestions?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it really is to be a Penlight, I would prefer something that runs on AAAA batteries. Even AAA are too thick for most of my pockets.

What pocket is a 2AAA pen light too thick for? I clip mine in my shirt pocket.

The MT06MD or IYP365 should fit fine in most shirt pockets.

I have no idea if there are any decent 2AAAA pen lights available. I ditched my Steamlight Slipstream about four years ago when I got a Preon 2. AAAA batteries are very expensive and not readily available around here.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

The original Streamlight Stylus is a AAAA liglht. I can admire the size, but abhor the difficulty in finding AAAA cells, and their expense as well as short run time.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to Lumintop IYP365 Nichia :)

20170629225420_37872.jpg

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Very nice flashlight, I carried the 80 lumen version for 2-3 years. Downside is that the Protac 2AAA has an ultimate thin aluminium barrel, not durable at all. It can crack open at the tail threads or at the head threads.

I would suggest the Streamlight Protac 2AAA. Small and easy to carry. It runs on 2 alkaline or 2 NiMH AAA batteries. Ive run it on both and it runs great on either. Lots of light output at 130 lumens (for its size) and the tailcap switch can be programmed for only one mode which is high through Streamlights 10 tap programming interface.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple weeks ago I replaced the Klarus P20 in my shirt pocket with a 2AAA Country Trails APL150 from Rural King with adjustable focus (zoomie, zoomable, spot-to-flood) for $3.99. SKU: 21041015. ...ruralking.com/tactical-led-flashlight-150-lum.html

It always comes on in High mode, but a partial press takes it to Low and another partial press takes it to Strobe. A full click from any mode takes it to Off - no need to go through other modes to turn the light off.

The focus adjusts by sliding the head front to rear. The sliding focus is firm and secure and won't move on it's own - it must be pushed or pulled to change the focus. Hopefully, this will remain the same after several months of carry.

The beam pattern is very uniform in both spot and flood.

I have no idea if it's regulate - I doubt it. The tint is toward the cool side, but no blue in my sample.

CRI is plenty good to easily tell red wires from brown wires in a wire harness.

You can't really go wrong for $3.99.

JBH

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
First post.
Looked around a bit. No exact post like this so far.

Like my Stylus Pro very much. The size and the tail switch(momentary, essentially).

Would like about 200 Lumens plus. EDC/tactical is the purpose.

Any ideas for modification/upgrade? Or a different light?

Much thanks for any help, Barry:wave:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
First post.
Looked around a bit. No exact post like this so far.

Like my Stylus Pro very much. The size and the tail switch(momentary, essentially).

Would like about 200 Lumens plus. EDC/tactical is the purpose.

Any ideas for modification/upgrade? Or a different light?

Much thanks for any help, Barry:wave:

Welcome.

I've been using and liking the Sofirn SF02 for about six weeks and really liking it.
A really low moonlight.
Not real high medium.
Nice bright high.
LMH mode sequence.
Mode memory.

No strobe, though, if that's what you mean by tactical.

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
OP. The Terralux Lightstar 80 is what you are looking for. Uses 2 aaa batteries for 5 hours of runtime at 80 lumens and it comes with a high CRI emitter. It uses a forward clicky tail switch switch. I use Eneloop batteries in mine and recharge them every week or 2. This is my go to penlight at work. For less than $20 each you can buy 2 in different colors. Lifetime warranty.