Chinese LED torches

Lucilia

Newly Enlightened
It seeems rare that a Chinese flashlight has a simple on -off switch. They are usually encumbered with 2 to 5 "modes".

This is a detriment to functionality.

I just wonder what is going on here.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
With LED technology allowing multiple different modes I suppose a lot of consumers want and expect mode selection as a feature. Mode selection is useful because it allows brightness to be changed for more runtime and vice versa. A lot of people like a strobe option for either defence or signalling. I think a good UI makes multiple modes perfectly acceptable.

Other options are available for those that prefer simplicity.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With some of the cheaper flashlights you have mode-groups which you can switch to fit what you need. But usually the mid- to high-section flashlights have a more sophisticated UI. At the end it really depends what you like. I have multiple flashlight with different UIs and I like to use them all.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As long as you can turn the light on/off and it comes up in the same starting mode I don't see why having extra modes is an issue if you never use them not having the modes would probably only save you a dollar if even that. I have single mode LED lights and sometimes find myself wishing it were brighter or dimmer.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
It seems rare that a Chinese flashlight has a simple on -off switch. They are usually encumbered with 2 to 5 "modes".

I have to respectfully disagree. Modes are wonderful for most users and enhance the functionality and versatility of a flashlight. In my opinion, it is with only a specific type of flashlight application in which various modes can be detrimental unless a user interface "hides" them. That type is the tactical flashlight. Hence, it's common to see flashlights from Surefire, Elzetta, and the like with only one or two modes. These are often designed specifically with tactical usage in mind with their targeted customer base being law enforcement, military, and those who want firearm lighting. In this regard, simplicity and direct access to full output makes a lot of sense. However, these hardly make ideal flashlights in other tasks ranging from household duty to outdoor lighting due to the lack of modes to suit the output to the specific task.

How the Chinese brands differ is that they make their products with much more versatility in mind. They focus on outputs, modes, and features to cover a broader spectrum of usage. I personally own a number of tactical lights but find that the models with more modes are more useful for my primary application; outdoor nighttime activity lighting. This primarily includes night hiking and camping. In this regard, you want various modes so you can control the appropriate output and run times. You really don't want full output while trying to find something inside your bag inside a dark tent. You also don't want to compromise your night vision with something too bright when you need to see something close up. However, you want the same flashlight to illuminate downrange to light up a path, object, etc. Modes give you that flexibility while helping to preserve battery life.

In the past, before LED flashlights were available, I used to use one-mode tactical flashlights when camping in addition to large Maglites. Now, I can carry a small LED flashlight that can handle just about any task due to its modes. From a sub-lumen moonlight mode to nearly a 1000 lumens for range illumination, modes allow a single flashlight to handle most tasks. In this regard, I greatly appreciate the approach Chinese brand have taken all while offering a very good value.

Lastly, it's not like it's one or the other. Some UIs have take the approach to "hide" their modes or program the flashlight to your usage or liking. Some flashlights now only have 3 main modes (L,M,H) with special access to others like strobe, SOS, Turbo, etc if desired instead of being in the main cycle. Others like my Klarus XT12GT allow you to program the flashlight between "Tactical" or "Outdoor" mode, changing how the buttons work with direct access.

With all of these realities in mind, I can't say modes on Chinese flashlights are a bad thing at all for most people. However, if one truly desires a simple interface for maximum reliability and predictable output, then there are products specifically made for that purpose, especially by American manufacturers who focus on specifically tactical applications.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the cheap Chinese lights make you cycle through the modes, including strobe before you can shut it off - I hate these. I do like programmable modes, especially if have the option of setting to high only or a simple high/15-30 low, I rarely need more than that in the way of brightness modes. Momentary is also a must have for me, so I like forward clickies and electronic switches.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Blame it on those crazy guys in lab coats back around 1919.

IMG_20180123_183505.jpg

3 color'd light gave differing outputs and brightness.
It seems the idea of levels in the incan light took place for years using different bulbs (or filters) for each level. Streamlight twin task for example or the Pelican Big D for different bulbs and Fulton used a honeycomb or colored filters as a way of difusing the output.

LED and micro-chip technology made it easy.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our addiction is expensive, but it does have an upside. The appropriate variety of flashlights will alleviate the tension between these categories. Some lights have two modes, some lights have several, some lights only have one. Buy more and embrace them all! I prefer simpler devices, but I can find a use for almost anything.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The market has spoken? Seriously I think the reason so many makers have options is because it is what those who are buying them want. I know I do. While I love my Surefires, I used to wish all the time that they could be turned on to a lower output to reduce glare and extend runtime. I know there are drop-ins that have the option but I have never really liked the power-cycle method of switching modes. Even though the new EDCL2 and Tactician meet my desire to have more than one mode...the reason for me not buying them now is the same reason that I didn't buy the LX2 and Aviator back in the day...cost. Plus they are rather new and so weren't around when I would have been more likely to buy them. So yeah I prefer modes in my flashlights, even if I don't use all of them all of the time.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It seeems rare that a Chinese flashlight has a simple on -off switch. They are usually encumbered with 2 to 5 "modes".

I just wonder what is going on here.

Same for many USA made lights as they also have more than one mode. I think rare is the single more light these days regardless of origin. Also the upper end doesn't stop at 5. Don't forget the disco modes..... Adding what you might think is a detriment to function might not apply to others. The market tends to decide what it wants even if others disagree.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capitalism and the free-ish market...

"You want cheap?
We make it cheap.
You want quality?
We make it quality."

Get an Emisar, or maybe 3-4 of them.

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
It is possible to get multi-mode lights which can be set for single-mode operation.

For example, Convoy have several lights with the new Biscotti firmware (written by ToyKeeper on BLF). Set it once to the mode set you prefer - there are 12 options, one of which is single mode at 100% power - and then you never have to think about it again. That way, there's something for almost everyone.

You can also choose how bright that single mode will be by selecting the appropriate options when you buy your light. The Convoy S2+ in Desert Tan is available with options which allow single-mode outputs ranging from about 300 lumens to about 800 lumens.

You can run 300 lumens for as long as you have power; 800 lumens will get uncomfortably hot after a couple of minutes, but a lot of people insist on having the capability. You never know when you might need an emergency tea heater :)