Color Temperature

Lucilia

Newly Enlightened
It seems that the most common and almost exclusive temperatures are,either "yellow" 3200K,or 6000K or above.

It seems to me that the most useful temperatures are between 5500K and 4000K, yet it is rare to find flashlights with these characteristics.

To me, above 6000K is to cold/blue, an d 3200 too warm/yellow.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Look to Zebralight for "happy middle" tints, they have more than one. And warm tints are ideal for power outages; nothing worse than sitting in a dark room with no utilities with lighting that looks like it belongs in a garage or dentist's chair - give the the cozy and welcoming warm tints like a comforting fire, much better for morale..

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Why do I see,m to have such a hard time finding lights with good warm tints? Malkoff has their warm drop ins, but even those are single output only, no Low Med High. MagLite just started making warm tinted options, anyone know of more warm lights that are currently available? 4000K seems very popular these days, but I'd like to find something a bit warmer.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has several lights that are described as 'warm white' and/or 'neutral white'. Mountain Electronics has a very nice drop in that is available in a couple of different Cree tints as well as with a Nichia 219C emitter. Lumens Factory has several drop ins that you have the option of High CRI or Neutral White that are in the range you want, but they are single mode only. Several of the Lumintop lights have the Nichia emitter option as well.
You have to realize that an LED in the cool white/6000+K is going to put out more lumens than the same LED with a warmer CCT. That is because a good portion of the real output of the LED die is strong in ultraviolet, and phosphors are used to obtain the desired CCT. Obviously, fewer phosphors are needed to reach a high CCT as opposed to a lower one. Since we are apparently in a 'lumens race' a lot of vendors are going to offer high CCT emitters to squeeze out that last lumen or two.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you know how to solder and reflow an emitter you could swap the LED at least in some flashlights. That's what I usually do as I like the neutral tint alot.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do I see,m to have such a hard time finding lights with good warm tints? Malkoff has their warm drop ins, but even those are single output only, no Low Med High. MagLite just started making warm tinted options, anyone know of more warm lights that are currently available? 4000K seems very popular these days, but I'd like to find something a bit warmer.

These should definitely be restocked at some point: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.c...361n-lmh-neutral-low-med-high-to-fit-surefire.

Just ask them via email about when. I have this one in a MD2 body and it is absolutely wonderful. I have high/low ring in it, so I have moonlight mode as well :)

Latest posts