LED Finger Ring?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at work today and came up with an idea of an LED ring that you could ware on your finger. I can see an application for this idea but I don't think that I can ever remember seeing one. With small button batteries I think that you could design a ring that would give you a true hands free tool when working in tight areas. I wouldn't picture this as something that you would ware all the time but maybe when working on equipment in dark areas when its just too hard to keep a light in your mouth and hand. Has anyone ever come across something like this? Think it would sell if someone made one?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always think I am the first to think of something too.

I have recently seen a commercially available LED "finger" mount advertised. Can't locate it for the moment. I did find a Chinese novelty one, not too hot.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really cheap (kids' toy) versions of these are made in China. I saw some at a party supply place. The ring is plastic and sized for a kid's finger, and the light part is a copy of the Photon 2. The one I got had a blue LED (for about 20 minutes after I got hme... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but it was easily changed.

There is also the Pilots Finger Light, which can be found at several places, including Lee Valley Tools. It uses a velcro strap for the ring part, and uses small watch-sized batteries( not sure what size).

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually I mentioned this to ArcMania a while back when he came out with that super microscopic converter of his that drives a 1W Luxeon quite brightly (I believe tvodrd uses it in his smaller lights like the NLS).

Since it runs off a very small battery to start with (1.5V "N") I figured a couple of button cells might do the trick for short momentary bursts of very bright light.

But my vision was of a high-quality, stylish man's ring (good and thick for heatsinking) with the Luxeon under a clear domed lens that, due to the yellow phosphor of the Luxeon, could appear to be a yellow-colored semi-precious gemstone or similar until - activated...via a momentary button recessed at the back of the band using the edge of the thumbnail or something.

Harrkev

Enlightened
If somebody came out with a gold LED ring, I wonder if my wife would notice a new lump on my wedding ring.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk -

I'll tell you what would make an excellent setting:

A King's Crown tailcap.

I was thinking 7 carat sapphire but an LS would be more useful.

tonyb

Enlightened
How about a 20+ carat yellow orange sapphire I'll sell it to ya real cheap.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, now you're talking, tonyb.

20 carat probably out of my league considering the rarity but a nice 10 mm 5 carat cabochon yellow sapphire would leave enough room in the Mr. Bulk ™ King's Crown Ring setting to backlight it with an LS.

The yellow sapphire cabochon would be a nice lens.

I like it.

Fox

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nighthawk Microlight that I purchased several years ago. It is a very good design that allows you to turn on the light with the same hand that is wearing it. It has a crappy beam tho. The LED technology definitely needs updating. I have a Goldwing motorcycle and this is the best application for this type of device. I have a lot of unlit controls on this bike. As far as using it while working with tools in tight spots, I find the beam is never pointing where you need it. A photon in the mouth works much better.