Real World Reviews - The harsh realities

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every once in a blue moon I get a sample light from a manufacturer and they say "this is a prototype, we'd like it back and please treat it with care".
When that happens I generally split between sending it back saying "no thank you", or doing a "private" review that will only go back to the company so that they can knock any rough edges off their product.

In this case I decided it would be fun to give the prototype a good once over and give the manufacturer feedback.

I rarely ever intentionally test to destruction but such is the nature of a "real world review" that things happen. Lights get dropped, chewed on by a dog, come on in a pocket or jacket for an extended period, a battery leaks, or any of a thousand other things that just plain happen in life.

I thought I'd seen almost every kind of common AND oddball failure or quirk that you could find in a light but I had an absolute first today when I went to pick up a [EDIT: correcting error. This is a DUAL 18650] powered light and actually received enough of an electric shock to make my fingers tingle. I would classify it as bottom end "electric fence" level jolt and it was NOT static electricity. I finally had to grab some gloves so that I could disassemble the light and remove the batteries.

As you might imagine, I've contacted the manufacturer with full details and I'm going to give them a chance to examine things and see if they can determine what the hell happened.

No, this isn't some weird "taser" or other specialty purpose light, just a nice strong EDC. I have to admit that I'm completely baffled as to what the heck happened.

If/when I get more details I'll post them.

Last edited:

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Was there a charger hooked up to it at the time? The voltage from an 18650 isn't high enough to shock someone. If no charger, then that would leave the switching supply as the only other source of a high voltage - that I can think of.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was there a charger hooked up to it at the time? The voltage from an 18650 isn't high enough to shock someone. If no charger, then that would leave the switching supply as the only other source of a high voltage - that I can think of.

No charger hooked up. I honestly can't think what could possibly have caused this. At first I thought it was just a static shock, until the second time I tried to grab it and realized it was actually "tingling" me in pulses. It's really bizarre. The batteries were pretty warm so something was pulling hard on it.

Last edited:

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Was there any kind of information display/panel on this light - like you see on some of the more expensive lights? Some of those displays (or the display back-light) could require high voltages to run.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was there any kind of information display/panel on this light - like you see on some of the more expensive lights? Some of those displays (or the display back-light) could require high voltages to run.

Yes, and come to think of it I was touching the stainless "frame" around the display.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Yes, and come to think of it I was touching the stainless "frame" around the display

Well that could be the smoking gun. That frame may need to be better isolated from the supply that lights up the display (or the display's back-light).

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE

Heard back from the manufacturer. They were able to replicate my issue which apparently surprised the hell out of them too.
I was told that it is a very simple design change for them to make and they will be sending me an updated sample soon.

I love doing this stuff! :)

Rexlion

Enlightened
Re: UPDATE

Put it in your pocket and get a cheap thrill. Tingles down your leg... :p

Latest posts